Autopsy Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

The Billings discussion here is so inaccurate. As posted, he gained 800 metres. I watched him closely as well, as I always do, and it is just untrue to say that he chips sideways all day. He is an absolute engine who runs all day. He was our best rebounder out of defence and also had plenty of inside 50s. 13 contested disposals as well. He is someone who will be better in a good team, but he is doing a great job in a poor side.

Nope. With ability comes increased expectations. Billings needs to take the game on more, he too often looks to give up responsibility for creating a move to someone else. If you want $650k per year earn it.

I think you're way off here Ric.. Will agree to disagree on this one, our inside game is the worry atm not JB having 35

Who cares. He isn’t playing for us premmo. I wish I could think like you.

Well the thing is, if he was hurt, there is more chance we would go harder for him considering how much we like drafting, trading for injured players.

Seriously this is where having no selection integrity jumps up and bites you.

We have guys playing who have barely played a good game at VFL level, it’s hardly surprising we struggle to win games.

Brisbane Lions were the s**ttest team in the comp in 2017 and finished last on the ladder

2019 they are a genuine finals contender

What the hell have we been doing?

We’ve been treading water since 2016, the Lions on the other hand have been building towards becoming a formidable finals contending team. Most called our inability to progress in the competition two years ago, the rest are now only catching up.

Seriously this is where having no selection integrity jumps up and bites you.

We have guys playing who have barely played a good game at VFL level, it’s hardly surprising we struggle to win games.

Untouchables = Marshall, Bruce, Membrey, Carlisle, king.

Everyone else on the table. Time to rebuild, challenge 2023/24.

After last weeks weak capitulation, someone in here wrote that their heartrate never moves when watching St.Kilda games anymore. Watching today I was pretty much the same. I just cant invest emotionally with much of this group.

Good news is that (while watching dispassionately), the one player that really stood out was Hunter. Seeing how much time he has with the ball is almost Dal Santoesqe. For a team full of ball butchers and panic merchants, he is a real breath of fresh air. I also liked watching Bruce get some reward for all the hard yards he does too.

Other than that, today was just another meh game in a series of very meh games over a number of very meh years. No stars. No heart. Bland gamestyle. Predictable result.

After we kicked 70 points last week a few commented that it was about the 10th time we had kicked between 66 & 76 all year. Surprise surprise, we score 73 again this week. All while having roughly the same amount of I50s as the opposition. Rinse and repeat.

Its the perfect balance of most players doing just enough to not get dropped, but not enough to have any meaningful impact on games. The team doing just enough to remain vaguely competitive, but not being good enough to really matter. And the results being just good enough to keep Richo in a job (and us out of the media), but being bad enough to land us in the bottom rungs of the ladder yet again.

At least we have the October draft / trade period to look forward to. For us die hard supporters, its sadly become our September ...

Last edited:
Waiting for the usual Richo tripe of

“We just didn’t quite get a few things right. And that was disappointing. However there were a few positives to come out of the game, I thought we fought back well, when the fellas could’ve just dropped their heads. And I thought the game Bruce played was outstanding. Really gave us a focal point up forward, so that was pleasing. But we’ll review it and look on to next week”.

Was I spot on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for the usual Richo tripe of

“We just didn’t quite get a few things right. And that was disappointing. However there were a few positives to come out of the game, I thought we fought back well, when the fellas could’ve just dropped their heads. And I thought the game Bruce played was outstanding. Really gave us a focal point up forward, so that was pleasing. But we’ll review it and look on to next week”.

Was I spot on?

Dunno. Haven’t listened for a year.

Brisbane Lions were the s**ttest team in the comp in 2017 and finished last on the ladder

2019 they are a genuine finals contender

What the hell have we been doing?

You know what’s funny about Brisbane? Is between 2015–17 (3 years) they brought in 3 picks inside the top 24 each year and then last year landed and established star in Neale and bought in best 22 players in McCarthy and Adams. And it’s worked.

But gee the plan of bringing in 9 high draft picks in 3 years and then getting established players and a star the year after sounds familiar 🤔

Untouchables = Marshall, Bruce, Membrey, Carlisle, king.

Everyone else on the table. Time to rebuild, challenge 2023/24.

Billings & Gresham just re-signed so they are effectively untouchables.

Trading someone like Clark would just be silly so he’s a keeper.

Battle as an up & coming elite defender you don’t just trade away.

Funnily enough, I would trade Carlisle & Bruce for the right price. Probably Membrey as well.

I think we need to see this list perform under a new system though. We might find a few hidden gems.

Trading someone like Clark would just be silly so he’s a keeper.

Battle as an up & coming elite defender you don’t just trade away.

Funnily enough, I would trade Carlisle & Bruce for the right price. Probably Membrey as well.

I think we need to see this list perform under a new system though. We might find a few hidden gems.

Wouldn’t be quick to trade Coff either just yet.

Very disappointing 1st and last quarter.

Very few positives,

Bruce obviously, thought Wilkie battled on gamely, Gresh had is moments in the middle. With very little support to release the ball to, newnes bounced back.

Now negatives,

Seb Ross, Midfield look better without him and he is no halfback. Needs dropping imo.

Carlisle still seems way off and body language mirrors that of his Essendope days.

Mckenzie exposed badly and is not quite afl quality. Unfortunately he is our only lockdown option with pace.

Acres took to long to get into the game.

Billings does not use his foot skills enough. Seems to be programmed to kick long to a contest as a first option. Richo must be proud.

As a team they missed to many tackles.

Bombing it long is getting impossible to watch.

Next week;

Out: Battle (inj) Mckenzie, Ross, Coffield

In: Marsh, Rice, White, Lonie.

Brown would be a better option if we were vying for finals, but we are not so Marsh gets the nod after being solid with Rice/White in a bombarded defence for sandy.

Contracts mean SFA, just ask Ryan Burton.

If we could get good first rounders for either of these two I would do it, take the risk. They are good players but they are not game breakers and we need a game breaker or two, because of our sh#t drafting last 6 years we need to take risks now. We need a team that can win a flag, not finish 8th.

Very disappointing 1st and last quarter.

Very few positives,

Bruce obviously, thought Wilkie battled on gamely, Gresh had is moments in the middle. With very little support to release the ball to, newnes bounced back.

Now negatives,

Seb Ross, Midfield look better without him and he is no halfback. Needs dropping imo.

Carlisle still seems way off and body language mirrors that of his Essendope days.

Mckenzie exposed badly and is not quite afl quality. Unfortunately he is our only lockdown option with pace.

Acres took to long to get into the game.

Billings does not use his foot skills enough. Seems to be programmed to kick long to a contest as a first option. Richo must be proud.

As a team they missed to many tackles.

Bombing it long is getting impossible to watch.

Next week;

Out: Battle (inj) Mckenzie, Ross, Coffield

In: Marsh, Rice, White, Lonie.

Brown would be a better option if we were vying for finals, but we are not so Marsh gets the nod after being solid with Rice/White in a bombarded defence for sandy.

Coffield must play till the end of the season.
Parker needs a rest.

Apparently McCartin and Petracca were the standouts in 2013.
How have they gone?

I know..sigh...it’s not a perfect science.
Just talking about the luck of the Saints :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back