Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Sam Newman asked to tell his side of the story but the film maker didnt allow it and refused the offer.

Im not a Sam Newman fan or a McGuire fan at all but when a film maker picks and chooses what to include and basically refuses to interview people who they are quoting to explain themselves and their comments they are 'stacking the deck' to create an unbalanced view.

But thats what journalists do.
Nobody actually got to put their point of view across in the doco. It was all contemporaneous footage.

Newman has plenty of media avenues to put across his point of view.

In the BBC interview he did at the end of 2014, he said that he reacted on instinct, and that it'd been 10 years since the last time he'd been called something racist while playing.

I think you're being awfully unfair to presume that he planned out how to react to something that hadn't happened in a decade.
10 years? Sounds like racism in AFL wasn't really such a big problem then?

You ignore all the posters here who consider Goodes a dirty player [rightly or wrongly], irrespective of his skin color
He probably ignored it because it's been shown to be completely disingenuous. Players that were far dirtier over a more prolonged period never received the treatment he received, so to suggest it's 'because he sniped' smells like bullshit.

10 years? Sounds like racism in AFL wasn't really such a big problem then?

Judging by your profile pic I'd say you're probably a troll, but I'll bite anyway. 10 years up until the point of indigenous round 2013. Then a few weeks later a bombers fan is kicked out for calling Goodes "Magilla Gorilla". Footage has also recently come out of a west coast fan yelling out something about "Monkey Magic" at about that time as well.

And then Goodes is awarded AOTY speaks out and says "hey racism is still a thing, Let's start a conversation and try and make the country a better place for all minorities", to which the reply was weeks of constant booing.

But nah no issue of racism hey he was just a sniper.

He probably ignored it because it's been shown to be completely disingenuous. Players that were far dirtier over a more prolonged period never received the treatment he received, so to suggest it's 'because he sniped' smells like bulls**t.
All the champs and snipers got booed. Goodes was a bit of both. And none of the others ever threatened the crowd by pretending to throw a spear at them.

Could be wrong but I remember it being in amongst the other stories in the HS's Sunday footy coverage. That would've been a different photo to The Age, which carried Ludbey's photo on the front page (but not as the headline story). Yes, it has endured and grown in significance with time and revised perspectives.

IMO Monkhorst/Long was actually more significant as it prompted the AFL to introduce racial vilification rules. But regardless of his intentions at the time, Winmar makes a good statue.

Memory is a funny thing. They definitely had a pic of it in the Hun. I recall it being quite prominent and the byline was something like Winmar telling the Collingwood crowd it takes guts. No mention of a racial element.

The AFL’s response to Monkhorst/Long was more significant, but I don’t think the incident was. Certainly not to the collective psyche of the football community. It’s just my hindsight impressions, but Winmar standing there in front of the crowd that had been serving it to him all day was a powerful statement. My memory of the Long presser was of subdued looking Long sitting next to an, at times, smirking Monkhorst, which just didn’t strike me the same way.

Lefties dont know what racism is.
Conservatives dont know why racism is wrong.

Both are idiots.

This is a good point. I'm certainly at fault here as I thought I knew what racism was but clearly I don't.

Btw the whole blackface thing.. they still do it on TV in my country all the time. I had no idea it was racist, absolutely no idea, what's worse it never occurred to me that people would find it racist/offensive given on face value it's would appear like imitation rather than a slur.

All the champs and snipers got booed. Goodes was a bit of both. And none of the others ever threatened the crowd by pretending to throw a spear at them.
Again, disingenuous. Other players have done more over the top celebrations and not copped criticism. It wasn't 'threatening' unless you are a genuine 'snowflake', it was obviously theatre. It was an excuse for the booers to keep booing while trying to dress it up as reasonable.

Memory is a funny thing. They definitely had a pic of it in the Hun. I recall it being quite prominent and the byline was something like Winmar telling the Collingwood crowd it takes guts. No mention of a racial element.

The AFL’s response to Monkhorst/Long was more significant, but I don’t think the incident was. Certainly not to the collective psyche of the football community. It’s just my hindsight impressions, but Winmar standing there in front of the crowd that had been serving it to him all day was a powerful statement. My memory of the Long presser was of subdued looking Long sitting next to an, at times, smirking Monkhorst, which just didn’t strike me the same way.

Yeah, it was the response that was significant rather than incident itself.

Again, disingenuous. Other players have done more over the top celebrations and not copped criticism. It wasn't 'threatening' unless you are a genuine 'snowflake', it was obviously theatre. It was an excuse for the booers to keep booing while trying to dress it up as reasonable.
So you get to decide what people should feel then, tell us why indigenous people booed also, what was their excuse?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I chose not to watch it when it was on. It was nothing anyone hadn't seen before.

Was Goodes booed because he was an Indigenous player? Possibly. To countenance that, outside of maybe Nicky Winmar and Michael Long, no other Indigenous player has been booed under those circumstances. By and large the majority of Indigenous players have not been booed, though some may have received derogatory comments.

Was Goodes booed for his style of play? Until the final few years he wasn't. Then he started doing cheap shots. The AFL as a rule failed to take action those cheap shots.

Did Goodes have the right to go after the girl who abused him? Calling out racism has to be seen for what it is. However I note that the reality is he felt sorry for her but her parents were to blame for what she said - as if to say she knew no other way.

Might be worth all of us moving on.

View attachment 714713 And there are others. You never go near another player's genitalia.

KeyAromaticAntarcticfurseal.gif

I remember when this happened. Posting a still image completely out of context got the haters riled up.

Do you still think he was intentionally going near the player's crotch?

View attachment 714713 And there are others. You never go near another player's genitalia.

Yeah cool.
Did you watch the incident or did you just see the headline on the front page? Look at Goodes assault that poor man! He tore his scrotum clean off! Oh the humanity!

Edit; thanks FP for the gif. ^^

"And there are others"

Sure, how many from 2015 when he was being harassed every week for being so damned dirty?

You seem to question anyone with an opinion, there have been many videos put up showing his cheap shots, do you close your eyes when you watch them?
Before you say, but, but, many players do that, you asked for [Citation needed] for Goodes.

It was a reasonable post, i can't see why you would be upset by it, but then again going by many of your post, you seem easily upset.

Sure, attack me instead of actually arguing the point. How many of those videos posted earlier in the thread are from the end of Goodes' career, when he was being harassed every week for supposedly being such a dirty player?

Goodes v Gibson was late 2014, granted. He tried to kick the ball to Hannebery, a few meters further down the boundary. Gibson beat him to the ball. It looks bad, it should have been a free kick for kicking in danger. I can understand Hawks fans getting into Goodes for the rest of that game like they would any other player. Why suddenly in mid 2015 is every opposition supporter group getting into Goodes for this?

Goodes one suspension for sliding was in 2012. Surely opposition fans aren't suddenly booing for an incident 3years prior.

Goodes going the argy bargy against some bombers players in the mid 00's, see above.

etc.

Let me paint a picture for you:

His final ever kick of a footy with 1 minute left on the clock and North up by 4 goals.

Incredibly loud booing by North fans - i was there behind the goals - AT THE OTHER END OF THE GROUND!! That is how loud it was.

The historical revisionism by some on here is staggering.

He wasnt generally liked at the end of his career, its only the racism in question.
Now I wasnt comfortable with the booing todays the end, nonetheless was Jetta* booed, was Thomas*?

Revisionism?

* assuming these guys played.

This just in. Racists are planning a protest. They will not be booing this round and as you well know there's a risk that if you're also not booing you will be lumped in with them. Please boo this round.

That's from his last game, so what, fans were preemptively booing him for all of 2015?

To be fair, we had suffered a bit against you blokes leading into that final.

The whole 19 men on the field (nothing to see here) the disgraceful Petrie umpiring call, the draw... You really owned us and he was a big part of that.

Then the Thompson incident happened and after it was replayed on the screen, those at the ground went especially hard at him.

That's professional sport. He was booed for being great and booed for being a little bitch.

That's from his last game, so what, fans were preemptively booing him for all of 2015?

They used this game as a specific reference in that doco to push the narrative that the Goodes booing was race related...

These flopping/staging/kicking/sniping incidents occurred regularly in the last few years of Goodes career and he was booed accordingly.

Pretty obvious why the Goodes doco was a major ratings flop.. Garbage.

They used this game as a specific reference in that doco to push the narrative that the Goodes booing was race related...

These flopping/staging/kicking/sniping incidents occurred regularly in the last few years of Goodes career and he was booed accordingly.

Pretty obvious why the Goodes doco was a major ratings flop.. Garbage.

I understand that you won’t be convinced but...
Have a think about Brereton, Grinter and Rhys-Jones. Glittering careers late? Stagers and snipers to a man and unless they actually killed someone mid game you’d barely hear a peep let alone week in week out constant booing. Any of these blokes better players or blokes than Goodes?
If you can look inside yourself and HONESTLY say you don’t think there was something racial about this I’d be alarmed. I don’t know if it makes the booers racist but it definitely makes the booing racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that you won’t be convinced but...
Have a think about Brereton, Grinter and Rhys-Jones. Glittering careers late? Stagers and snipers to a man and unless they actually killed someone mid game you’d barely hear a peep let alone week in week out constant booing. Any of these blokes better players or blokes than Goodes?
If you can look inside yourself and HONESTLY say you don’t think there was something racial about this I’d be alarmed. I don’t know if it makes the booers racist but it definitely makes the booing racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between those players you mentioned above was that they were actually suspended for their thuggish behaviour. They also played in an era without 24/7 coverage and social media, that highlights every little sniping act that players don't get rubbed out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back