Autopsy vs Eagles - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

We were never a sniff yesterday IMO. Successive interstate games, off two narrow defeats, with the lure of f inals snatched away, and after two months of intense footy at our worst venue, and with our mids struggling in recent weeks, it shaped as a perfect storm and so it was.
If there is one thing i have learnt about playing in Perth tho, it's just to expect the worst, even when we've looked a big chance there on paper we rarely fire a shot.

We were stuffed and I suspect last week Rhyce got the nod for next year.

Simply cos in the lead up to the game all that media of him playing cricket, hanging with the boys etc etc. I think the decision was made, even if only informally, and everyone was a bit mentally off because of it. It happens to people. Especially in the context of "season's over" after the umps stole that Brissie game from us.

It'll be interesting to see how we back up.

One thing that was a bad sign...

You can't have the captain coming out in an interview the week before the game saying "We won't be using travel as an excuse". Its basically saying "Well we're stuffed and we're gonna lose."

And the one thing that kept popping into my head yesterday as I watched the game was:

"This game is Brad Scott's legacy."

So many of his bad habits came out in the boys yesterday and they will under pressure until they get changed. That'll take at least one pre season.

I was at the game, and it is s**t to be a supporter here in WA, as it seems the team can't fly three and a half hours without going to poo. Saying that, people might need to settle down, one very bad game is not the end of the world

Enjoyed Rhyce throwing Tarryn, LDU and Jy together at bounces in the last quarter. Made the best of a bad situation by recognising the opportunity for them to learn against the best. This run home is all about teaching these kids and getting experience into them.

If Shaw is our man, this caretaker spell gives him a massive head start going into next season over anyone else we’d be considering. I think this is really important because we should have been a lot better than we’ve performed this year and can’t be wasting more prime years of Cunners, Brown, Taz, Polec, Ziebell etc. It’s all about getting the kids caught up cos they’re the ones who will take us up to the next level and beyond.

Healy is a ******* moron. I'm sure he is going senile. Superlatives are just about the only thing he brings to commentary. He's an empty vessel.

Healy was generally on form yesterday in pissing us off and then he went off on a brief tangent. Basically saying that we had the basis for a pretty good side, young blokes with lots of promise (Thomas, LDU, Zurhaar etc) but just need to add more outside run and a crumbing forward.
It's an uncomfortable feeling when you find yourself agreeing with someone you generally can't stand. I'm sure the Germans will have a phrase for it. They have some of the best ones, like Kummerspeck: weight gain due to emotional eating, literally translates as 'grief bacon'.

Disappointing to be smacked around the contest again after a few weeks of being stronger in that area. Defence was exposed but couldn't blame them. Also back to a fair bit of horrible disposal, especially handballs to feet. Not the coaches' best day but a lot of that is on players.

Really not at all keen to use travel as an excuse, even having done that trip this week and appreciating its impact - we were playing a team that does it all the time and seems to manage ok.

Defending premiers at home, best 22 fit and tuning up for finals, against middling team going badly enough to sack the coach, hit by injuries, and with half an eye on next year. And that's what it looked like.

I had the sound off and it sounds like a good thing.

From what I saw, Goldy got his hands to the ball, some decent taps, and did some nice follow up at ground level, but his kicking wasn't good - two shots at goal touched becaus they went that low.
Bad luck on the loss fellas. Just to pickup on the above comment we have a few of our first call side out (Hurn, Cripps, Nicnat, Vardy, Hutchings). I think often at this end of the season it's the teams who are able to have the least number of A grade players off the park that go the furthest in finals.

Any truth to the rumoured three year deal offered to the coach?

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep both a game behind us. Bottom three a real chance. Who'd have picked Carlton finishing above us in a year where we beat Pies and Tigers!

Finishing below both of those teams would be a slight embarrassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, how do you keep kids interested in North in WA (and SA)? Barely competitive when we play here (two losses by 20 goals this year) and never had open training under Brad. Has been a dire decade for WA supporters.
I thought I'd be smart and take them to see our AFLW side at Freo Oval this year but they lost 52-25, too.

I only watch North games these days, and the kids will watch if we are winning but drift away when we're not. Probably not a bad thing. My eldest is six and is surrounded by Eagles fans at school but she's staying strong. Loves Ben and Captain Jack.

Bad luck on the loss fellas. Just to pickup on the above comment we have a few of our first call side out (Hurn, Cripps, Nicnat, Vardy, Hutchings). I think often at this end of the season it's the teams who are able to have the least number of A grade players off the park that go the furthest in finals.

Any truth to the rumoured three year deal offered to the coach?

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair point on the outs - I couldn’t remember. Put it down to jet lag.

My young fella was copping it at junior footy yesterday and will again at school on Monday. He's constantly being bagged by his class mates about North. I feel guilty for causing that.
Don’t feel bad.

Following North builds character.

It’s easy to go along with the crowd and follow a big club, but North supporters are passionate and that’s what makes the success even more sweeter when it comes.

We missed Turner and LMac imo. Disappointed in Polec two weeks in an row now - panicking under pressure. We need more variety in the midfield, we have a lot of tough but slow players. At least one skilful mid who runs both ways is a must over the off season. Dumont not giving us enough atm.

So many players who default to doing dumb things too. Tarrant has a shocker, it happens. Dunno about Garner’s future: we can’t keep carrying so many poor kicks (yes I know I said we missed Turner and LMac).

Disappointing outing all in all. This team is too used to losing.

With Crocker snr splitting his time between Director of Coaching and Midfield coach, and Jarred Moore as Stoppage coach (as per club website), these 2 area's seem to me to be in serious need of new blood too, we appear to be very stale and predictable in those departments especially, these are now jobs for people of the next generation imo.

With Crocker snr splitting his time between Director of Coaching and Midfield coach, and Jarred Moore as Stoppage coach (as per club website), these 2 area's seem to me to be in serious need of new blood too, we appear to be very stale and predictable in those departments especially, these are now jobs for people of the next generation imo.

I second that.

He might not be the man for the job but our midfield has broadly been better during this season since Shaw took the reins and Crocker has been working with the midfield, hasn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back