Preview Geelong V Freo - Part 2 of the AFL Road Trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did his opponent in that time frame?
Well, he should be fresh and ready to go for Freo's smalls

Yes. Was absolutely torched by Ronke. Papley also kicked his one and only goal while playing on Bews. O’Connor is our best defensive option for small forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to drop bews. Had 2 quarters where he didn't even get a touch. Thats poor.
Outs: Miers, Atkins, Gaz, Sav
Ins: Rohan, Menegola, Tuohy, Stanley

Rohan for Miers
Menegola for Atkins
Tuohy for Gaz - Henry to play forward
Stanley for Sav to play 70% forward as a tall target for the crumbers
Agree. Both Miers and Clark look like they need a breather.

Apart from Mena (who flew to W.A. earlier in the weekend), you would have to think that the 22 for the Dockers game will come from the squad that flew up for the Swans match. The only other seriously possible inclusion would have been Parf. But, with the flights involved, I'm sure they won't risk him. And two of the inclusions have already been just about inked in, according to the coach.

So I'll go:

In: Mena, Rohan, Tuohy
Out: Ablett (managed), Atkins, Bews

I personally would take Smith out and put Rhys back in. That is how the story is going to end by the time we reach finals. So I don't understand why we're delaying the inevitable now. However, I'm sure they'll give Zac another week for the time being.

Perhaps Rata will be rested to give Rhys a reprieve as the CHF/second ruck this weekend. And Clark or Miers could get a rest so that Q. can get a run.

However, I think they might save a couple more of the 'managed' parentheses for the week after at home against the Roos.

Anyway, here's to a win of any description and no injuries. Because, after getting the four points any way we can this coming weekend, we really want to be then seeing the team playing close to its best footy as the finals close in.

All this talk of resting players does my head in. It’s no coincidence that our drop in form coincided with making multiple changes each week. We were much more settled earlier on in the year and it showed.

All this talk of resting players does my head in. It’s no coincidence that our drop in form coincided with making multiple changes each week. We were much more settled earlier on in the year and it showed.

But CS is on record as saying last year we fell into the 8, literally. We were pretty cooked and he is relishing the top 2 situation at present so we can actually MANAGE our players' workloads. It is no coincidence either that many teams are struggling this "semester". We have worked really hard to get this privilege, and if the powers deem it to be useful, it should not do our heads in.
Clark, Miers, MOC, Atkins are all virtually playing their first years with us. MOC has been in the system a little longer, but not many games. They are all showing some signs of fatigue.
GAJ- definitely need him to be fresh, and angry if needed, not lack of discipline angry, but enough to show he should always play... if that makes sense.
Sav- well I'd be doing all possible to lessen any risk on his leg coming into August and beyond.
But we are only watching from afar, and the club knows exactly what is needed this year.

Last edited:
But CS is on record as saying last year we fell into the 8, literally. We wee pretty cooked and he is relishing the top 2 situation at present so we can actually MANAGE our players' workloads. It is no coincidence either that many teams are struggling this "semester". We have worked really hard to get this privilege, and if the powers deem it to be useful, it should not do our heads in.

We aren’t assured of a top 2 spot and therefore can’t take anything for granted. We’re also down on form. I don’t see Richmond, West Coast or Brisbane resting players.

We aren’t assured of a top 2 spot and therefore can’t take anything for granted. We’re also down on form. I don’t see Richmond, West Coast or Brisbane resting players.

WCE and Richmond had a lot of players out who are now returning.
Simpson said he would love to be in the position of being able to manage last Monday on 360.
Lions are peaking now- can they keep this up?
Agree 100% we are not assured top 2. But this weekend we are. If it's needed, why not use it?
I trust THEM to make the correct call on that need.
And some of the potential ins are not inferior to those being managed.

Last edited:

We are a game and percentage clear of all of those sides. We have the luxury of resting players, and I think we should be

Simpson said he would love to be in the position of being able to manage last Monday on 360.
Agree 100% we are not assured top 2. But this weekend we are. If it's needed, why not use it?
And some of the potential ins are not inferior to those being managed, potentially.

We are a game and percentage clear of all of those sides. We have the luxury of resting players, and I think we should be

I would possibly agree if we were playing well. My concern is that we enter finals well rested but out of form.

I would possibly agree if we were playing well. My concern is that we enter finals well rested but out of form.

No need to worry if Dogs 16 are an example. They had NO form coming into September, but were rested, fresh, and brought in many newly available players, and they were hungry as. I am sure if we have that hungry desperate hunting finals mode, form will reappear.

No need to worry if Dogs 16 are an example. They had NO form coming into September, but were rested, fresh, and brought in many newly available players, and they were hungry as. I am sure if we have that hungry desperate hunting finals mode, form will reappear.

Dogs 16 are the exception, not the norm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree. No team can maintain early season form for 22 weeks, a drop off was inevitable. These guys are not robots, they're human beings.

I know he most likely will be, but I'm happy for him to have a run in the VFL - not sure he's really been at his best this season where he would be an automatic selection
And yet you are in love with Bews.( Not that there's anything wrong with that) 2E does NOT need a run in the Magoos. I do agree he has not been as good as last year.

Not only do we have the luxury of resting players but we have players ready for their opportunity.

S Selwood, Parsons and Smith all did enough to retain their spots.

Rohan and Tuohy have been named as certain starters by the coach.

Menegola looks in line to return this week, and Parfitt will be back this week or against NM.

Stanley is fit and available v Dockers if he's needed. Narkle deserves an opportunity on form and would be a logical replacement for GAJ/Atkins/Miers if any is rested this week. Henderson is available and could replace Taylor or Blicavs, both of whom have played every game this season.

All premiership coaches say that you need a squad of 26-28 players come finals, all of whom could be called on if circumstances require it.

If we do play deep in September this year, we will have unlucky players on the sideline and that's the way it should be.

And some of the potential ins are not inferior to those being managed, potentially.
Struth that's optimistic by you.
Nice work.

I agree fwiw.
Although this is off track it is similar. I often talk to my daughter about her study. She 'could' be on track to get an atar that lets her be a doctor.

And I've said to her "you're going too hard. Back off. But one day you will need to go hard. Be ready for it".

There were 28. So 6 extra. Stanley, rohan, menegola, narkle, tuohy +1?
Menegola was already in Perth, the other 2 to travel to Sydney were most likely Henderson & Simpson who were both emergencies for yesterdays game

Hmm these may not be popular but meh

Ablett rested/ Sav rested/ Taylor rested/Atkins rested

Rohan/Buzza/Henderson Simpson or Narkle the ins

Keep Smith in for 1 more week and see how he goes
Don't want to risk Ablett/Sav/Stanley on the hard ground with previous leg injures
Sav wont be rested - he has had a few weeks off recently and he needs to get his bits right (those marks are starting to clunk).

Taylor looks like he needs one as does Ablett and Atkins out will only depend on other small/pressure type forwards coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back