Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

In the post match he did try Yeo but its hard when your other mids are getting beaten. With Sheed, Redden and Shuey having bad days if Yeo goes defensive how are we ever going to get the ball going forward?
Unusual for Shuey to lower his colours like he did today. You have to ask the question "are some of our mids carrying niggles"??

Someone brought up a great point the other day, if the AFL let the cats have a GMHBA final suddenly Etihad tenants will request home finals at their home ground too. The AFL would open up a can of worms as they say. Otherwise I'd agree.
Hope so.

Think we could beat them at the G not at that hole

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the post match he did try Yeo but its hard when your other mids are getting beaten. With Sheed, Redden and Shuey having bad days if Yeo goes defensive how are we ever going to get the ball going forward?
Good point. Sheed and Redden have been poor for a while now what's going on with them?

Negative: Shuey and barrass did not want to play the game today. Brain fades all around. Sheed, well, shocking couple of weeks. Not sorta of games you want of one of your premier midfielders.

Positive: our percentage didn’t take much of a hit. Cripps is awesome.
Sheeds been hideous - he keeps doing that sideways priddis kick that shits me to f}%^} tears - 50 miles up 10 metres forward - zero advantage.

End of first according to Simmo. Came back for a few minutes in the 2nd to test it out and nope.
But my god what about that Richmond player Grimes that went off for ten minutes and what a blow that would be to Richmond and let's have an in-depth injury analysis and how hard it would be for Richmond to win after that major injury issue.... aaaaand, oh wait, he's just come back on the ground...

-'s:

- Whole back line, but specifically:
- Barrass literally cost us 3/4 goals himself, had one of the worst personal games of AFL I've ever seen anyone play
- Hurn just hasn't looked right since his return from injury, not sure what's going on there
- Kennedy is almost completely cooked. There is no one else to replace him and structurally he still works but he is a dead set liability at the moment. Needs to turn the corner fast if we're to go deep in September
- Our midfield was pretty rubbish today, Not one player can say they dominated or even really won their position.
- Of the games we've played against the top 8 teams this year, we have lost 5. 3 of them very badly.
- We haven't played 4 quarters of football all 2019. Very worrying if we don't finish top 2 to have a chance at making the big dance again.
- Not avoiding the game day thread like i promised to prevent myself making hyperbolic, emotional and irrational statements that will inevitably come back to haunt me....

+'s:

- Darling's first quarter
- Rotham looked poised and far from out of place
- Willie did some brilliant things
- Solid fightback from being on the canvass in the last
- Phenomenal first quarter
- Cripps has hit form again
- We played 3 absolutely terrible quarters and still came win in a kick of Richmond, in favorable conditions for them with a player down almost the entire game.

I feel like Simpson may have just let let Dusty off the leash and give the Tigers some liberty to see exactly what they had and not show his hand until finals. Got him a good read of how they will play and can get some ideas as to how to combat it. They had loose players around every contest and spread really hard. We were very underdone around the stoppages.

That was a rollercoaster. I was fuming at the team in the third quarter but was really impressed with the fightback when all looked gone.

Biggest negative is that top 2 is beyond us now, meaning we'll have to beat Geelong or Brisbane away in wk1 to have any chance. It's geelong who we want, so am barracking for lions to win next week and us to win, setting up a 2nd vs 3rd at the G.

Umpiring wasn't great but it was our unforced errors that cost it. Hurn was shocking, I am really disappointed with his last few weeks. Barrass was the big one, no way he can keep his spot after that and I don't see him coming back for finals if Schofield does a good job next week.

[QUOTE="woosha24, post: 62385522, member:

Very, very flat right now. In all likelihood we're going to have to travel to Brisbane and play a final in hot, sticky, energy-sapping conditions. Lose that and we might not have the petrol in the tank to turn it around the following week and avoid straight sets.
[/QUOTE]

Brisbane in early September is magnificent. Will.likely.be 23 to 25C dry day/ evening with about 40% humidity. I'd back us against either the Lions at the Gabba or Cats at the G in the 1st week.
Got to take care of Hawks 1st, and we will.

That was a rollercoaster. I was fuming at the team in the third quarter but was really impressed with the fightback when all looked gone.

Biggest negative is that top 2 is beyond us now, meaning we'll have to beat Geelong or Brisbane away in wk1 to have any chance. It's geelong who we want, so am barracking for lions to win next week and us to win, setting up a 2nd vs 3rd at the G.

Umpiring wasn't great but it was our unforced errors that cost it. Hurn was shocking, I am really disappointed with his last few weeks. Barrass was the big one, no way he can keep his spot after that and I don't see him coming back for finals if Schofield does a good job next week.
Nah just have to hammer Hawthorn and hope that Richmond beat Brisbane which they will have incentive to do if Collingwood beat Essendon. Can jump over Brisbane on %

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah true but with the recent eastern state coaches whining about our “rub” at Optus the umpires have done an over correction and are giving us nothing lately at home.

Yes, I’m glad someone else has noticed this too. Funny how the same carry on hasn’t been made about the pies and their rub of the green.

both coaches super stubborn with their system. NO regard for the Melbourne weather :) .Great game of footy specially last quarter as both teams elevated to another level. Make no mistake Eagles and Tigers are much better than Lions and Cats. They have few extra levels that those two teams do not have.They also have winning flag mojo which comes handy come pressure time which neither of those two teams have. Would love to meet Tigers again at the G at the GF. Brisbae are good but I would be more scared of dogs if they make it than Brisbane to be honest.

Yep, dogs 12 goals straight - they are in unreal form, would be a big concern in a final.

These losses to Richmond and Collingwood really sting the nostrils. A kick the other way and we'd be sitting pretty. Or even drawing one of them. Stings the nostrils, like I say.

I guess once it's all said and done, it would still all hinge on week 1 of finals. And that's still the case. But FMD it annoys me being on the wrong end of both those, knowing the massive upside we'd otherwise have in terms of positioning. Stings the nostrils.

+ First Qtr was a thing of beauty
Rioli is a class above even if he does have a habit of making things harder than they should be.
Hung in there and gave ourselves a chance of winning at the end
Jack was good early but played with a limp after the corky
Yeo was good, unfortunately Martin was better
Don't think the loss means we can't beat them next time
Rotham went ok

- Barass with his top 3 dumb things in his career all in one game
Hurn, Gaff and Shuey turned the ball over a lot
Sheed spectated a lot
Nelson reverted to his previous chicken minus head persona
Petch good early then woeful
JK struggling but it's too late to turn back now
Some weeks Redden just looks fumbly and way off the pace, needs to sort it.

You do realise Sheed is having a career best season thus year, right? I'm not sure you can really say that about him anymore. Sure, he's been down the past couple weeks, but overall, he's been fantastic this year.

And let's not forget the fact he literally won us a GF off his own boot.
Like I said he had a great finals series and has had a few good games this year, but six seasons in he’s had way more s**t than good games over his career.

It’s not just the last couple of weeks, he was awful against Carlton too.

Reddens the same. like they’re both very solid but their average games are a lot worse than true a grade mids

As a team we dont seem to play well in front. We prefer to chase a lead down.

Considering I pencilled this in as a comfortable loss I'm somewhat ok with a 6 point defeat.

In regard to Kennedy I have a feeling it may be another Priddis situation with him not taking the extra year after dropping off massively. Allows us to bring in Brander next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back