Media The Truth About Multi - Quoting

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
I thinks it's time we had a chat.

There are some disturbing mistruths being spread across the land of sweet and it appears that the well reasoned sensible people throughout the league are asleep at the wheel. Either they don't know, don't show or don't care about whats going on in the hood. But fear not my friends I Harvey Manfrenjensenden am here to let you all know whats really going on, and how it adversely effects each and every one of you.

"Whats wrong with Multi - Quoting Harvey?" I hear you say.....

Well that's a great question, allow me to break it down for you.

First of all there is nothing wrong with Multi - Quoting o_O

When done correctly. :huh:

You read that right.

"But I don't understand Harvey"

Just sit back friend and all will be explained.

In theory multi - quoting is a brilliant idea that stops one person from responding to several people using several separate posts. I mean who wants to check back into the match thread and have to sift through a whole page from a single poster replying to all the posts they missed whilst at work right?

ain't nobody.gif

However in reality it rarely ever works like that and there are but a handful of posters in the league that are capable of administering the multi - quote correctly and harnessing its true power.

And let me clear from the start The Half Back is not one of them.

The first mistake exponents of the "Multi" do is assume that all posts in a match thread require a response. common misconception but the truth is, some posts are better left alone.

The second mistake they make is to not single out the quality posts in a match thread and give them the respect they deserve. So when you get a notification that The Half Back has quoted your post the euphoria that something you posted meant something to someone is short lived when you realise your reply has been mashed together with a response to a TJASTA Meh and something WaynesWorld19 posted but you don't understand. Suddenly that one post that you thought about for so long and drafted several times to get the wording just right has been lobbed in with that picture of a pizza that looks like a dick and you ask yourself whether proof reading your posts or trying out the jokes on your friends first is worth the effort because at the end of the day the vocal minority is advocating blanket bombing the thread with their very own version of spam which in and of itself is just as abhorrent to look at and far more destructive to the fabric of this league. Creativity.

Which brings me to my final point............

That's spam no matter how you try and dress it up. It needs to stop.

In conclusion I would like to say that Multi - Quoting is like a hand job

Leave it to the experts otherwise it's just awkward

My theory is that its just a way to maximise your like-to-post ratio, you're pretty much guaranteed to get that elusive 5 like milestone.

The second mistake they make is to not single out the quality posts in a match thread and give them the respect they deserve. So when you get a notification that The Half Back has quoted your post the euphoria that something you posted meant something to someone is short lived when you realise your reply has been mashed together with a response to a TJASTA Meh and something WaynesWorld19 posted but you don't understand.

Truer words have never been said, my friend .....but this is a lie !

Wisemen speak with an aura, not easily understood by mere mortals .....you need not be afraid, of what you do not understand

Truer words have never been said, my friend .....but this is a lie !

Wisemen speak with an aura, not easily understood by mere mortals .....you need not be afraid, of what you do not understand
I have no idea what you just said but be assured your post will be mashed together with someones else's hard work and you shall reap the benefits

So you subscribe to ignoring quality posts and wish to reward lazy posting?
I reward anything that contests excessive duplicate posting.
The site code should automatically combine all duplicate posts into a multi. It's a real thing on some forums.

I reward anything that contests excessive duplicate posting.
The site code should automatically combine all duplicate posts into a multi. It's a real thing on some forums.
You're missing the point.

Multi quoting disincentives quality posting by tying them to poor posts whilst encouraging spam of a different ilk.

You're missing the point.

Multi quoting disincentives quality posting by tying them to poor posts whilst encouraging spam of a different ilk.
I disagree. Multi-quotes are tied to the quoter, not the posts.
For instance, I multi-quote a bit (although not a hell of a lot).
If you see a multi-quote from me, you know that each post quoted is something I wished to respond to.
It follows that if I chose them for response, then they must be good posts.
I do agree, however, that mult-quoting for the sake of multi-quoting, is dumb.
But I'd rather see all of THB's quotes stuffed into one post, than be a parade of individual quotes spread over 2 or more pages.

I disagree. Multi-quotes are tied to the quoter, not the posts.
You can disagree all you like but you just made my point.

If the person quoting my post (which for the purpose of this exercise was brilliant and stands out) has tied it into other less clever posts through the medium of multi quoting then why are we even having this conversation?

Good posts deserve there own response.

But I'd rather see all of THB's quotes stuffed into one post, than be a parade of individual quotes spread over 2 or more pages.
Lets not celebrate the slightly less offensive and strive for best practise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some disturbing mistruths being spread across the land of sweet and it appears that the well reasoned sensible people throughout the league are asleep at the wheel. Either they don't know, don't show or don't care about whats going on in the hood. But fear not my friends I Harvey Manfrenjensenden am here to let you all know whats really going on, and how it adversely effects each and every one of you.

You read that right.

In theory multi - quoting is a brilliant idea that stops one person from responding to several people using several separate posts. I mean who wants to check back into the match thread and have to sift through a whole page from a single poster replying to all the posts they missed whilst at work right?

View attachment 733709

However in reality it rarely ever works like that and there are but a handful of posters in the league that are capable of administering the multi - quote correctly and harnessing its true power.

The first mistake exponents of the "Multi" do is assume that all posts in a match thread require a response. common misconception but the truth is, some posts are better left alone.

The second mistake they make is to not single out the quality posts in a match thread and give them the respect they deserve. So when you get a notification that The Half Back has quoted your post the euphoria that something you posted meant something to someone is short lived when you realise your reply has been mashed together with a response to a TJASTA Meh and something WaynesWorld19 posted but you don't understand. Suddenly that one post that you thought about for so long and drafted several times to get the wording just right has been lobbed in with that picture of a pizza that looks like a dick and you ask yourself whether proof reading your posts or trying out the jokes on your friends first is worth the effort because at the end of the day the vocal minority is advocating blanket bombing the thread with their very own version of spam which in and of itself is just as abhorrent to look at and far more destructive to the fabric of this league. Creativity.

View attachment 733767

Wasn't really reading until, I saw you said The Half Back wasn't multi quoting properly. Read it a few times after that.

Haha too true!!

lmao nailed it

My theory is that its just a way to maximise your like-to-post ratio, you're pretty much guaranteed to get that elusive 5 like milestone.
I'll be, this really got me thinking!

Can you link me THB's post so I can go like it. And submit it to manangatang . And to The Half Back .
Can't find it mate sorry but keep looking it's out there!

I’m not a huge fan of over multi quoting or over multi posting. Don’t see what the big deal about two or three posts in a row is tbh, but any more than that and it gets too much.
Crazy how we all have different ideas.

Wasn't really reading until, I saw you said The Half Back wasn't multi quoting properly. Read it a few times after that.
Hmmm that's an interesting situation.

You can disagree all you like but you just made my point.

If the person quoting my post (which for the purpose of this exercise was brilliant and stands out) has tied it into other less clever posts through the medium of multi quoting then why are we even having this conversation?

Good posts deserve there own response.

Lets not celebrate the slightly less offensive and strive for best practise.
So this is really just a tantrum about your posts not getting the attention your ego has inflated them into deserving?

I’m not a huge fan of over multi quoting or over multi posting. Don’t see what the big deal about two or three posts in a row is tbh, but any more than that and it gets too much.
For me it's hard as I'm in a different time zone and are in catch up mode with threads, I would also log on and have taken around twenty mins to reply. If I multi quote then I lose the ethos of what was First thought and end up not replying the way I intended.

Haha too true!!

lmao nailed it

I'll be, this really got me thinking!

Can't find it mate sorry but keep looking it's out there!

Crazy how we all have different ideas.

Hmmm that's an interesting situation.
Is JoshWoodenSpoon the clickbaitiest post ever? We give you 13 reasons why. Number 7 will shock you.

You read that right.

View attachment 733709

View attachment 733767

Yeah, nah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back