The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had only won that %$#*& Grand Final!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was thinking this the other day. I've tried to forget as much as possible about that Grand Final but 2 momentum killers stand out in my mind.

First quarter, we are all over Richmond. Tex wins a free and Atkins tries to take advantage and gets tackled immediately. Turn over and directly leads to a goal instead of Tex bombing it to our half forward line.
Second quarter, if Eddie gets paid the most obvious hold in history in the goal square, we get back to within 4 points and likely go into half time with the momentum.

Either/both of those go the other way and maybe the second half goes differently and we win a flag, no camp, Pyke vindicated, players feel galvanised as a group...

The flaw was using Collective Mind in the first place. We probably would have had just as good a 2017 without them. The players and coaches went into that GF thinking they were invincible. Nobody bothered to try and curb Richmond's strengths. Hubris on steroids. The let down was far greater than it should have been. Compounded by Pyke seemingly blaming the players. Then compounded by the camp.

Bottom line - the decision to use amateur psychologists has to rank as the worst in the club's history. That's what cost us the 2017 flag. That's what fractured the bond between players and coaches. That's why Pyke has lost them. A strong club would never have gone down that road in the first place. A strong club would have immediately terminated those responsible. A strong club would have owned the mistake. A weak club would deny it happened, keep the staff who recommended it and let the bleeding continue for a full 18 months.

Now we have to take it apart and start again.

It's not just on field. We have failed off field as well.
The industry as a whole generally calls off field the financial stability of the club

Here's an old article about off field all it really considers is profit and number of members

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
They call for a review into the boys club and then Load up the review with members of the boys cLub lol.

Half the review consisting roos mates from fox footy. Pavlich has done nothing to warrant a place on the review. He could play footy but, that's all. Captained a club to nowhere.. No other experience but being a poster boy in western Australia. Can only be his loyalty to Roo, that got him on the independent review. His interview at airport shocking, he'd been clearly coached and didn't know what he was doing.

For a club with tens of millions in turn over a year, you don't hire amutuers to conduct a review. Unless you want to control What's found out.

Then there is Dunstall. Where do you start with him. He's clearly aware of the treatment this club gets from the vfl and media, his producer on TV and radio instructs him to be negative when calling our games and say nothing when the umpires cheat.

The review won't say nothing about the psychological impact the umpires have on us, nor the bullshit conditions we train in at the old footy Park. This cant be good for morale. I watched pre season training in December on a cold windy day. They were having to Water down the construction site behind the southern goal because the wind was bLowing dust all Over the players, all While the Grand stand was being demolished. So good for morale. Coupled with the coaches ego that everything is the players fault. Nor will the review mention the tensions mid season as Jenkins become a better leader and player than roos mate walker.

Can the Review please ask why we didnt look at taking a free hit on recruiting any SANFL players in the mid year draft? Noble, Snelling?
In the position we are now it probably isn't a good idea. Maybe Hamish reads our list better than the selection panel.

Can the Review please ask why we didnt look at taking a free hit on recruiting any SANFL players in the mid year draft? Noble, Snelling?
Right or wrong, pretty sure AFC argued against the midseason draft, not in small part because of the impact it would have on state comps. Port was similar and only picked a player from their sanfl team already.

The PR backlash against the port and Adelaide if they took the best player from an oppo team and used them to beat their original team in finals would have to been bad - even by our standards.

Last edited:
Right or wrong, pretty sure AFC argued against the midseason draft, not in small part because of the impact it would have on state comps. Port was similar and only picked a player from there sanfl team already.

The PR backlash against the port and Adelaide if they took the best player from an oppo team and used them to beat their original team in finals would have to been bad - even by our standards.

Crows or Port shouldnt care about a redundant competition now that a reserves AFL comp is going to be starting sooner rather than later.

If they felt that bad about taking a player they could have even "rested" him for the finals.

Crows or Port shouldnt care about a redundant competition now that a reserves AFL comp is going to be starting sooner rather than later.

If they felt that bad about taking a player they could have even "rested" him for the finals.
Don't bet on it, sounds like it's off the table for 2 more years at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean that's just speculation really. We adopt new tech and then half our team is out with soft tissue injuries and people just connect the dots. I'm not giving Birdbrain the benefit of the doubt though. He should have been sacked at the end of 2018.
I can categorically tell you that KangaTech was implemented in a half assed manner. Prior to Kangatech, we used a whole bunch of spreadsheets developed over a period of seasons, to collate data and benchmark etc. When KangaTech was brought in, they tried to plug it in to the existing spreadsheet system they had, rather than buy/develop a proper interface, database, etc. In other words, as usual, we tried to save money on implementation and ****ed it up as a result.

KangaTech itself is not the problem and was not the problem. It was the manner in which we measured and used the data we got from Kangatech that was the problem, because KangaTech itself is not much more than a measuring and benchmarking tool. It was an idiot trying to implement technology on the fly that was the problem, and they had to get Saunders in to fix it, and engage a software company to write software to interface with it.

The net outcome of that * up was that we decided that the idiot should remain our GM Footy Ops, and his offsider should remain in our fitness department, PLUS we should hire Saunders full time. So we now have the cheapest assistant coaching staff in the comp because, rather than sack the idiots, we spend too much of our footy dept cap to keep them on and employ an extra person to fix it up.

I can categorically tell you that KangaTech was implemented in a half assed manner. Prior to Kangatech, we used a whole bunch of spreadsheets developed over a period of seasons, to collate data and benchmark etc. When KangaTech was brought in, they tried to plug it in to the existing spreadsheet system they had, rather than buy/develop a proper interface, database, etc. In other words, as usual, we tried to save money on implementation and f’ed it up as a result.

KangaTech itself is not the problem and was not the problem. It was the manner in which we measured and used the data we got from Kangatech that was the problem, because KangaTech itself is not much more than a measuring and benchmarking tool. It was an idiot trying to implement technology on the fly that was the problem, and they had to get Saunders in to fix it, and engage a software company to write software to interface with it.

The net outcome of that fu** up was that we decided that the idiot should remain our GM Footy Ops, and his offsider should remain in our fitness department, PLUS we should hire Saunders full time. So we now have the cheapest assistant coaching staff in the comp because, rather than sack the idiots, we spend too much of our footy dept cap to keep them on and employ an extra person to fix it up.
If this is the case these decision makers need to go

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The flaw was using Collective Mind in the first place. We probably would have had just as good a 2017 without them. The players and coaches went into that GF thinking they were invincible. Nobody bothered to try and curb Richmond's strengths. Hubris on steroids. The let down was far greater than it should have been. Compounded by Pyke seemingly blaming the players. Then compounded by the camp.

Bottom line - the decision to use amateur psychologists has to rank as the worst in the club's history. That's what cost us the 2017 flag. That's what fractured the bond between players and coaches. That's why Pyke has lost them. A strong club would never have gone down that road in the first place. A strong club would have immediately terminated those responsible. A strong club would have owned the mistake. A weak club would deny it happened, keep the staff who recommended it and let the bleeding continue for a full 18 months.

Now we have to take it apart and start again.
The overall tone of the post I agree with. ie the use of CM over the time span was a terrible mistake and one that nobody ( as yet) has paid for and I can see an argument that there was a feeling of invincibilty going in to that GF. I would also say our record over the year and against 1 game at home v Richmond also led to this.

But the bolded is what I want to concentrate on. As time goes on there is a greater body of work that you can say and see that Pyke , despite his record, is very stubborn in his game day strategy. Its one that is built on trust in the group to follow the system robotically. If the opposition get on top there is no Plan B.

This is what Richmond did . We didnt make change in the box and yet the players ( or CM) seem to be the ones to blame

I can categorically tell you that KangaTech was implemented in a half assed manner. Prior to Kangatech, we used a whole bunch of spreadsheets developed over a period of seasons, to collate data and benchmark etc. When KangaTech was brought in, they tried to plug it in to the existing spreadsheet system they had, rather than buy/develop a proper interface, database, etc. In other words, as usual, we tried to save money on implementation and f’ed it up as a result.

The net outcome of that fu** up was that we decided that the idiot should remain our GM Footy Ops, and his offsider should remain in our fitness department, PLUS we should hire Saunders full time. So we now have the cheapest assistant coaching staff in the comp because, rather than sack the idiots, we spend too much of our footy dept cap to keep them on and employ an extra person to fix it up.
1 of the Norf posters pretty much said the same last year. Though his take was someone made the decision not to take the software package that KangaTech provide. Basically said the club went with equipment and the cheap option

1 of the Norf posters pretty much said the same last year. Though his take was someone made the decision not to take the software package that KangaTech provide. Basically said the club went with equipment and the cheap option
And even 2019 hasn’t worked because we were bottom 4 for fitness levels it seamed. Dropped away every half and I think our running numbers were concerning.

And even 2019 hasn’t worked because we were bottom 4 for fitness levels it seamed. Dropped away every half and I think our running numbers were concerning.
Not sure what KangaTech has to do with that. I don't think it's a stretch to think we've had to go backwards on loads to go forwards.

Does that mean Burton/Hass have managed to cook the list for 2 consecutive years?

Not sure what KangaTech has to do with that. I don't think it's a stretch to think we've had to go backwards on loads to go forwards.

Does that mean Burton/Hass have managed to cook the list for 2 consecutive years?
That’s my take. To take the heat off themselves they undercooked the squad.
Comes back to the lack of accountability issue the club has. No KPIs for metres run that would raise red flags to management that they don’t have the right people.

Back