New CEO, New List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the feeling that he either wasn't wanted by Lyon or he no longer wanted to be at the club. He resigned and then went and worked FIFO. I wouldn't know but if you want more time with the family you wouldn't go FIFO would you?
Too time demanding under Lyon.

Fremantle Dockers assistant Todd Curley quits on eve of season
PerthNow
March 27, 2012 5:16PM
TOPICS
SportAFL
FREMANTLE assistant coach Todd Curley has resigned from his post on the eve of the season to pursue work opportunities outside of football.
Curley, who joined the club as an assistant to Mark Harvey in 2008, advised the club on the weekend of his decision, citing lifestyle reasons for his sudden departure.
“I have a young family and after almost 20 years as a player and a coach in what is a very demanding industry, I felt it was time to explore other opportunities outside of football and also be able to spend more time with my family,” Curley said in a statement released by the club this afternoon.
“The opportunity to take up a new challenge, which I am really excited about and is outside of football, only arose in the past week or so and is the reason why I am leaving the club at such short notice.

“Having said that, it was a tough decision to leave now because under Ross Lyon and his coaching team, the playing group is as well placed at any time in my tenure at the club to achieve the success Fremantle members and supporters have been seeking since the club’s inception.”
Curley played 118 AFL games with the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood between 1994 and 2001 before returning west to take the reins at his original club West Perth.
The 39-year-old guided the Falcons for three seasons until he was offered the chance to enter the AFL system.
Fremantle general manager of football operations Chris Bond said the club accepted and understood the reasons behind Curley’s decision.
“Todd has had a very positive influence on both the playing group and the club during his time at Fremantle,” Bond said.
“Although the timing is not ideal, we accept and understand the reasoning behind Todd’s decision.
“We thank Todd for his contribution to the Fremantle Football Club and wish Todd, Paula, Thalia and Aiden all the very best for the future.”

They also might want Curley for the Peel coach role. From what I know from some people within South Freo he is extremely effective in developing relationships with the players. Guiding Souths to a GF this year is remarkable as their team has lost some quality over the past couple of years.
Good development of some of the younger guys as well

Too time demanding under Lyon.
He resigned in March 2012, so before Lyon had even started coaching his first season Todd decided Lyon was too demanding of his time. Do you even think before you post? You have created this narrative in your head and somehow you find a way to fit everything that has ever happened into it.

I see absolutely nothing in that article to suggest that is the case, so unless you know Todd personally I call bullshit. Are you sure you're not Hagdorn???

He resigned in March 2012, so before Lyon had even started coaching his first season Todd decided Lyon was too demanding of his time. Do you even think before you post? You have created this narrative in your head and somehow you find a way to fit everything that has ever happened into it.

I see absolutely nothing in that article to suggest that is the case, so unless you know Todd personally I call bulls**t. Are you sure you're not Hagdorn???
No I don't. Thankfully you are there to watch every word I say.

I see absolutely nothing in that article to suggest that is the case, so unless you know Todd personally I call bulls**t. Are you sure you're not Hagdorn???

He might not know Curls but I do.
😳

If either of these are true - it's incredibly underwhelming.

A WAFL coach and a Stadium Manager.

Surely FFC can do better.
Not totally against having Todd Curley back. But Gavin Taylor as CEO would be seriously underwhelming.
Yep agree.
Todd’s done quite well with Souths and could well be a premiership coach if not for $ubi.

As for Gavin Taylor yeah fu** the WAFC sideways.
Let’s never forget they were probably the biggest single reason (amongst others )the clubs set up and ensuring earlier years were an absolute unprofessional farce.

That organisation is the epitome of a boys club.
A boys club that still heavily favours its favourite child(wc)

I’d like freo to be as seperate an entity from that most self entitled bunch of flogs as possible
Was Gavin Taylor the guy from the WAFC on ABC Sports Talk a couple of weeks ago? When asked about what the WAFC could do about the inequality that exists in the WAFL he rambled on about club zones and salary cap adjustment. Sounded a right dill. Duffield and co rightly poured scorn on these suggestions as solutions to the problem.

The way this board is canabilising potential candidates at the moment is really interesting. How can you all be so sure that Gavin taylor is such a poor choice?

Earlier in the year I sat at Gavins table at a conference and thought he seemed like a really good guy, very positive and engaging, clearly passionate about WA footy at both WAFL and AFL level. Struck me as a very intelligent and articulate and generally was pretty impressed. I actually think it would be an interesting hire strategically, noting he is so well connected across the state, but also very well connected into AFL headquarters and AFL Comission as required for the CEOs of the state comissions.

I seriously doubt that there is some kind of undue pressure from the WAFC, to 'place their man' into the job. Here's a long interview he did earlier in the year. Have a listen, he definitely doesn't sound like a right dill as suggested above....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way this board is canabilising potential candidates at the moment is really interesting. How can you all be so sure that Gavin taylor is such a poor choice?

Earlier in the year I sat at Gavins table at a conference and thought he seemed like a really good guy, very positive and engaging, clearly passionate about WA footy at both WAFL and AFL level. Struck me as a very intelligent and articulate and generally was pretty impressed. I actually think it would be an interesting hire strategically, noting he is so well connected across the state, but also very well connected into AFL headquarters and AFL Comission as required for the CEOs of the state comissions.

I seriously doubt that there is some kind of undue pressure from the WAFC, to 'place their man' into the job. Here's a long interview he did earlier in the year. Have a listen, he definitely doesn't sound like a right dill as suggested above....

Fair enough DS but I’ve never seen anyone out of that organisation (WAFC) not act without its very biased and self fulfilling ideals at heart.

Now yep that’s to be expected , to a degree from an organisations employee but the lengths that self entitled boys club would go to to feverishly protect its vested self interests(against the greater good) eg it’s posturing and tantrum throwing over the new stadium,everything around freos inaugural set up , the blind eye to the Subiaco farce, narcissist Neale Fong and his missus, grant dorrington etc , has me highly sceptical that this bloke(Taylor ) wouldn’t act in just freos favour but more in what works the best for WAFC regarding freo as well.

Previous high ranking officials have proved it time and time again.

Yes they do a lot for wa footy but they’ve had their arses wiped by multiple successive governments through almost limitless budgets and free reign , especially compared to much worthier organisations all because, well they run footy in this state/football teams and us supporters are so tribal about it that, for a long time we thought anything good for the wafc was good for our team and therefore for “us”

Nup , we can do better than this bloke, much better.

I worked with Gavin at the WAFC and found him to be an insightful and strategic thinker, particularly in ways of brokering deals when the Commission was losing its cash cow in Subi Oval.

He's also a keen Dockers supporter.

He's not the worse choice but I'd like to see some of the other candidates before making an informed decision.

I worked with Gavin at the WAFC and found him to be an insightful and strategic thinker, particularly in ways of brokering deals when the Commission was losing its cash cow in Subi Oval.

He's also a keen Dockers supporter.

He's not the worse choice but I'd like to see some of the other candidates before making an informed decision.

Totally agree, and there absolutely may be better options for us. I just find it a bit bizarre the way folks see a name, look at where they work now and make arbitrary judgments about their suitability without knowing anything about them.

Totally agree, and there absolutely may be better options for us. I just find it a bit bizarre the way folks see a name, look at where they work now and make arbitrary judgments about their suitability without knowing anything about them.

I do not trust anything or anyone that has emerged from the WAFC. They betrayed us and treat us with contempt.

WAFC won't be happy until there is complete separation of the dockers brand from the name Fremantle, and we're the west australian dockers. I just find it a bit bizarre the way folks that are mouthpieces for the WAFC are on here pretending otherwise

WAFC won't be happy until there is complete separation of the dockers brand from the name Fremantle, and we're the west australian dockers. I just find it a bit bizarre the way folks that are mouthpieces for the WAFC are on here pretending otherwise
What do you mean when you say wafc wont be happy until there is separation? What's the driver?

Back at you bro :p

You sold your soul to the WAFC, but following my righteous path may bring you salvation that you desire.

It is curious though, you were largely against the idea of drafting Ian Hill who now looks to be a superstar. Did the WAFC coerce you into posting your anti-hill narrative or was that your own free-will?

What do you mean when you say wafc wont be happy until there is separation? What's the driver?

The driver is they have always been of the view Fremantle is an anchor (no pun intended) to a certain geography, limiting the broader appeal of the team. Mary Smith in Joondalup, Jurien Bay or Jerramungup won't become a member of Fremantle so the thinking goes

The driver is they have always been of the view Fremantle is an anchor (no pun intended) to a certain geography, limiting the broader appeal of the team. Mary Smith in Joondalup, Jurien Bay or Jerramungup won't become a member of Fremantle so the thinking goes
Got it, thanks

Weirdly I've always felt the opposite about west coast, representing everyone but nobody. It's what I like about Freo

You sold your soul to the WAFC, but following my righteous path may bring you salvation that you desire.

It is curious though, you were largely against the idea of drafting Ian Hill who now looks to be a superstar. Did the WAFC coerce you into posting your anti-hill narrative or was that your own free-will?
What a load of crap, re-read what I wrote. Why on earth would the WAFC not want Freo to recruit Hill?. That was purely a Freo recruitment decision, not my opinion at all.

I'm not even sure why I am responding to such a s**t post given the constant dribble you come up with on this forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back