Opinion Pendles and Steele are Past Their Prime

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not saying they will Retire but I am saying we can no longer Rely on them as there not Consistently Good like they use to be.

They still have Moments of Brilliance but they can go missing at Times.

Like tonight Steele had little Impact and Pendles had a Few Flashes.

We have to find some new Dominant Mids to be our Best Mid.

De Goey has that Potential but Struggling to think who else can get to that Level?

Then Pendles and Steele can have Cameos with those new Top Mids

I am not saying they will Retire but I am saying we can no longer Rely on them as there not Consistently Good like they use to be.

De Goey has that Potential but Struggling to think who else can get to that Level?

Agreed.
We need to get DeGoey and Stephenson ready for midfield time.
Also, Tyler and Callum Brown.

GWS threw Williams into their midfield today - out of necessity - and he killed it (and us). We need to freshen ours up rather than picking on reputation and past greatness. I’d start by giving Maynard DeGoey and Crisp big stints in our midfield rotations.

And get Sier back in there! Go back and watch his game in last year’s finals against GWS and compare that to Wills’ today. Chalk and cheese.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS threw Williams into their midfield today - out of necessity - and he killed it (and us). We need to freshen ours up rather than picking on reputation and past greatness. I’d start by giving Maynard DeGoey and Crisp big stints in our midfield rotations.

And get Sier back in there! Go back and watch his game in last year’s finals against GWS and compare that to Wills’ today. Chalk and cheese.

Up to Sier IF he going to make it and there some Doubt he can

To be fair Wills still did his job today - 16 disposals (7 contested), 12 tackles, 5 clearances, 83% DE in what the AFL website claims is 54% TOG.

They're still stars. They're the ones from our team who cop all the defensive focus, but unless you're a contested beast or lightning quick, it's pretty hard to shake a good tagger. I actually think Sidebottom is in his prime - it's just that he often cops a hard tag because he was so good last year and the few times this year that he hasn't been tagged.

Having said that, I want to see them both playing flank and wing roles next year - edge of the stoppage rather than in the heart of it- more to do with strength, power and aggression around the stoppage, which I think is a weakness in our team and has never been a strength of either of them.

Yes they are. We need to get others in the middle now. Sier was a big loss, Beams, and De Goey.

there are very few players who are completely untaggable even in their prime. Buckley was one of the very few, maybe Leigh Matthews and Kev Bartlett too. I've seen all of Danger, Judd, Fyfe successfully tagged to name a few. Has anyone not been stopped by De Boar this year?
sure they are past their prime, prime is probably only about 2 or 3 years of a player's career, doesn't mean they are not still elite mids. Players don't normally go from brilliant match winners to past their prime in the space of 2 games!! You can't just rely on individual brilliance anyway, you need system and a critical mass of A grade midfielders so they can't tag everyone - just ask Buckley from his playing days. Consistently BOG (or close to it) in almost every game he played yet most of them were losses.

But jsut like in last year's grannie, maybe we don't quite have that critical mass in the really big games, I think the grannie was why they recruited Beams, they thought he could be that missing link. Also with DeGoey this year we might have achieved that critical mass that overwhelms the oppo, which apparently GWS did achieve overwhelming us in the 3rd q. IN fact I'm almost certain that with DeGoey in we would have won but perhaps you could say the same about Fingers Greene for them. But we didn't have a players like Zac Williams jsut lying around in reserves.

Anyway we can at least agree that we must recruit young midfielders and of course also at least one top class tall forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Wills still did his job today - 16 disposals (7 contested), 12 tackles, 5 clearances, 83% DE in what the AFL website claims is 54% TOG.
I like Wills but he kills the movement of the ball. At stoppages he is stationary and goes to ground too often. He has plenty of tackles because he sits on opposition players at stoppages.

Agreed.
We need to get DeGoey and Stephenson ready for midfield time.
Also, Tyler and Callum Brown.
Yeah I guess Stevo doesn't quite have the tank and physical strength yet? See how he is after a big preseason.

Well this thread is good for me, starting to feel like I can jump back on the horse that bucked me again. (No pun intended).

I think the club really misread the list post season. Bringing in an ageing player like Beams (who isn’t quick) and losing our 2019 1st round pick.

Of the midfielders that are supposedly gettable, I wonder whether we could make a move on Ollie Wines or one of the Couch brothers. Not sure we have the cap though.

Or we just need to get games next year into Tyler Brown.

We are going to need to be prepared to make big changes to this midfield. To do so, we need to trade players with value.

Hmmm they’re good numbers that you’ve quoted, especially the tackling and DE. He had a better game than I realised/noticed.

Wills has certainly grabbed his chance since Sier gifted him his spot in the team through sheer stupidity. But I think Sier strikes a much better balance between defensive and attacking acts and has better vision and creativity. Wills deservedly owns the spot for now and it is up to Sier to take it back off him over the off season and beyond.

If he played consistently forward, I think Steele would be our leading goal kicker each year by a long way. He's a handy midfielder, but he can't handle the tag he gets now.

Hmmm they’re good numbers that you’ve quoted, especially the tackling and DE. He had a better game than I realised/noticed.

Wills has certainly grabbed his chance since Sier gifted him his spot in the team through sheer stupidity. But I think Sier strikes a much better balance between defensive and attacking acts and has better vision and creativity. Wills deservedly owns the spot for now and it is up to Sier to take it back off him over the off season and beyond.

Absolutely - it's pretty clear that Wills has been given almost a defensive role in the midfield to block up space and make it difficult for the opposition to feed the ball out.

I agree that Sier is a point of difference in that he hunts the ball and once he's got it he's very difficult to contain, but he needs to knuckle down and take that best 22 spot that is in the offing because we need him in there fit and firing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back