News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tim Watson is the major source of this "rumour" Brad to the GCS I personally wouldn't be putting a whole lot of stock in it just yet. I'm thinking that on the basis that Brad only in recent times changed Management to the new kids on the block Gary Winter's W Sports and Media and I just don't see Watson having too many "ins" there like he would with the bigger Management conglomerates that have been around for ages.
Brad coukd be using GC to get his AFC deal over the line

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez sorry must have missed that one!!!
I posted it because I think that’s where the trade would likely sit if it happens. 14 plus their future second which is probably pick 20

Think most are wildly overrating what we are likely to achieve in that trade. Dreams of top 2 picks and last year’s top 2 picks for a guy who has managed 83 games in his career and will be 26 at the start of next year. Too much risk.

Which is why as I’ve said before I expect both Brad and Matt to stay.

Curious Greenwood is still in the US, and before he went he did not meet with these clubs, So have all of the clubs mentioned travelled to the US to talk to him,
Because the latest report is saying he has met with the clubs, Not his management talking but he has met and talked to 3 clubs.

I posted it because I think that’s where the trade would likely sit if it happens. 14 plus their future second which is probably pick 20

Think most are wildly overrating what we are likely to achieve in that trade. Dreams of top 2 picks and last year’s top 2 picks...

Which is why as I’ve said before I expect both Brad and Matt to stay.
I think uncontracted 14 is ok.

Contracted we could push harder

This just smells of Brad getting a contract offer and he's not happy with it, so suddenly the "he's going to the Gold Coast" rumours magically start popping up.

Same thing Grundy is doing with us to try and get the Pies to bite on a bigger deal.

I doubt there's anything magical about it. They'd have offers on the table already and they'd know the ballpark value that each club is able/prepared to give up at the trade table. If our offer is a fair way off in terms of $ and/or length, then the player will naturally start seriously considering the offers. At first, in most cases, they're just there to gauge market value, but if we don't come close to them, then the player will naturally look a lot more closely at them. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of meat on this one to be honest. Suns' current strategy seems to be to extend their draftees for extra years, which seems a good risk to take in my view. Lukosius hasn't chosen to extend unlike Rankine, so the Suns may consider him someone to trade out to get in someone who will go the journey with them. Seems a common sense strategy to me.

Curious Greenwood is still in the US, and before he went he did not meet with these clubs, So have all of the clubs mentioned travelled to the US to talk to him,
Because the latest report is saying he has met with the clubs, Not his management talking but he has met and talked to 3 clubs.
Think you'll find these meetings took place weeks ago during the season and from memory were reported on then as well.

These 'journos/ ex-players who aren't journos' need to be smarter with their questions.

"Have you spoken with club A about....?"
"No" (my manager has though)

Instead, ask:
"Have you or anyone representing you had correspondence with..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think uncontracted 14 is ok.

Contracted we could push harder
Yes agreed, hence their early second next year or something similar. I think unlikely to be an additional genuine first or upgrade top 5.

Similar to the Wingard trade last year in that it would be a preemptive pre-RFA trade, of a player we are not sure we want to make a long term RFA offer to retain.

(If it happens and I don’t think it will happen)

You seriously would accept pick 14 or close to it in this draft for Brad....tell me you're not serious.
I keep saying this: it’s not a tariff based system. If Brad was uncontracted, nominating a club who are sitting on 14, what are our choices.

Fortunately he is contracted so they have to extract him - 14 nowhere near the mark.

Yes agreed, hence their early second next year or something similar. I think unlikely to be an additional genuine first or upgrade top 5.

Similar to the Wingard trade last year in that it would be a preemptive pre-RFA trade, of a player we are not sure we want to make a long term RFA offer to retain.

(If it happens and I don’t think it will happen)
GWS turned Shiel in to pick 9 last year (Caldwell) and pick 11 this year with a pick around 40 going back. That was with everyone knowing GWS had serious cap pressure. I'd want at least that for Brad. Likely a fair bit more.

uldn't be surprised if there's a bit of meat on this one to be honest. Suns' current strategy seems to be to extend their draftees for extra years, which seems a good risk to take in my view. Lukosius hasn't chosen to extend unlike Rankine, so the Suns may consider him someone to trade out to get in someone who will go the journey with them. Seems a common sense strategy to me.
Yes, there's some logic in that.

This thread has been a good read the past few days. I guess my two cents on a broader scale is the club has to decide to what extent it feels the list needs to be turned over.

History tells you we are a "back the boys in" kind of club and reasonably conservative in list management. If that trend continues, I expect blokes like Brad will be given what they want.

My personal view is that the boys have been backed in, and have been found wanting. For whatever reasons, we haven't been able to emulate 2017 and this squad appears to be burnt out and lacking a bit of class. We still have good currency, because we have some good individual players, but collectively, as a team, they are cooked.

To my way of thinking it's prime time to turn it over. Probably was last year. So I'm fine with cashing in on the likes of Brad, Smith, Laird etc. In saying that, I'm also happy for the club to be bottom five for the next couple of years.

I think that's what people have to get their heads around. This off season (and probably the next couple) are about the longer term. As a club, we've never experienced this before, so it will be interesting to see if the club has the cajones to do what is needed, and whether the supporter base will have the patience to deal with it.

This thread has been a good read the past few days. I guess my two cents on a broader scale is the club has to decide to what extent it feels the list needs to be turned over.

History tells you we are a "back the boys in" kind of club and reasonably conservative in list management. If that trend continues, I expect blokes like Brad will be given what they want.

My personal view is that the boys have been backed in, and have been found wanting. For whatever reasons, we haven't been able to emulate 2017 and this squad appears to be burnt out and lacking a bit of class. We still have good currency, because we have some good individual players, but collectively, as a team, they are cooked.

To my way of thinking it's prime time to turn it over. Probably was last year. So I'm fine with cashing in on the likes of Brad, Smith, Laird etc. In saying that, I'm also happy for the club to be bottom five for the next couple of years.

I think that's what people have to get their heads around. This off season (and probably the next couple) are about the longer term. As a club, we've never experienced this before, so it will be interesting to see if the club has the cajones to do what is needed, and whether the supporter base will have the patience to deal with it.

Yet you want us to give up pick 3 for Brodie Grundy. WTF??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back