News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's GC, I would want that for Greenwood, they can afford to overpay for mature talent as AFL just handed them pick 2.
They get Rowell, Anderson (PP) and Ellis (FA) coming in, also Academy player Budarick (AA U18) then they have Pick 14 plus picks from Martin and AhChee

Thats a serious haul.
If they don't end up with 2 more first rounders for Martin and AcHee, this is more proof they don't need draft picks, but off-field help.

If a pick in the 20s is the going rate for these two blokes, I'd happily give up our 2x20s for them, especially in this year's draft.
Martin, AcHee, 2020/3 -> 21, 26, Greenwood

This thread has been a good read the past few days. I guess my two cents on a broader scale is the club has to decide to what extent it feels the list needs to be turned over.

History tells you we are a "back the boys in" kind of club and reasonably conservative in list management. If that trend continues, I expect blokes like Brad will be given what they want.

My personal view is that the boys have been backed in, and have been found wanting. For whatever reasons, we haven't been able to emulate 2017 and this squad appears to be burnt out and lacking a bit of class. We still have good currency, because we have some good individual players, but collectively, as a team, they are cooked.

To my way of thinking it's prime time to turn it over. Probably was last year. So I'm fine with cashing in on the likes of Brad, Smith, Laird etc. In saying that, I'm also happy for the club to be bottom five for the next couple of years.

I think that's what people have to get their heads around. This off season (and probably the next couple) are about the longer term. As a club, we've never experienced this before, so it will be interesting to see if the club has the cajones to do what is needed, and whether the supporter base will have the patience to deal with it.
Not many seem capable of being consistent on this. Scorpus, Shaz, not many others.

Everybody thinks our mature age list is likely to miss finals

Few seem able to reconcile with the logical next step which is to aggressively pivot out of our mature players and into draft draft picks. And avoid any potentially bad long term contracts.

Hearing Burton gone possibly replaced by Podsiadly,

Podsiadly was approached three-four weeks ago in regards to the spot on the panel for the new coach, he is running the whole process involved with finding the new coach

Apparently Chapman thinks burton has no balls and can’t make a decision. He is one of the main issues at the club

My source is someone involved in real estate In regards to the AFL Max near the airport
We can only hope!

Mitch clearly-last week

Brad has gone to the Crows and his management has started talks on a five-year deal. He wants a long-term deal beyond his contract for 2020, but his management is also at the same time is still shopping him around to teams like Gold Coast and St Kilda.”

“He wants a mega-offer and he’s still at this stage being shopped around.”

Tim Watson-today
BREAKING NEWS from Tim Watson: "Brad Crouch, (is) very close, to accepting a Gold Coast Suns offer. The Crows are trying extremely hard to keep him."

Not many seem capable of being consistent on this. Scorpus, Shaz, not many others.

Everybody thinks our mature age list is likely to miss finals

Few seem able to reconcile with the logical next step which is to aggressively pivot out of our mature players and into draft draft picks. And avoid any potentially bad long term contracts.

I don't get how anyone could say we need to trade out Laird for draft picks, but then those draft picks should be spent on Grundy. That's not a rebuild, that's what a team that thinks they are contending would do.

You either go for mature players (contending) or get in draft picks or young talent (rebuild)

I don't get how anyone could say we need to trade out Laird for draft picks, but then those draft picks should be spent on Grundy. That's not a rebuild, that's what a team that thinks they are contending would do.

You either go for mature players (contending) or get in draft picks or young talent (rebuild)
Rebuild is a term that has been used frequently in recent weeks

Has the club saud we are doing a rebuild ?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuild is a term that has been used frequently in recent weeks

Has the club saud we are doing a rebuild ?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. But we aren’t in the middle of a crisis, without a coach and under review for nothing. The powers that be have NFI what they are doing and that’s why we are in this mess.

Spending pick 3 on Grundy would be much worse than our Gibbs trade in my opinion. At least with Gibbs we were arguably within striking distance of a flag when we made that utensil up.

No. But we aren’t in the middle of a crisis, without a coach and under review for nothing. The powers that be have NFI what they are doing and that’s why we are in this mess.

Spending pick 3 on Grundy would be much worse than our Gibbs trade in my opinion. At least with Gibbs we were arguably within striking distance of a flag when we made that utensil up.
If we had been smart we should have ripped the old dead wood out of our list at the end of 2017
It was well documented how good the 2018 prospective draft would be
Gun SA’ s to boot
We should have been better prepared
Grundy is not a need
Gibbs is an expensive mistake

Maybe Gibbs fall of grace is just another symptom of what has gone wrong the last two years... like most other things that have happened (camp, Burton etc) maybe the club let him down too... I don't think he was an expensive mistake at all.. next year will prove me wrong or right either way.

If we had been smart we should have ripped the old dead wood out of our list at the end of 2017
It was well documented how good the 2018 prospective draft would be
Gun SA’ s to boot
We should have been better prepared
Grundy is not a need
Gibbs is an expensive mistake

We should have held firm on Gibbs. We had that right in 2016. We should have actually told Carlton he is a year older so our new offer is less.

But 2018 is where we should have made the tough calls. It was the super draft with the SA talent and live trading. We had Sloane and Lynch to play with. Both should have been traded.

This really wasn’t hard to see. I saw it at the time but I also could see it from the other point of view and the need to retain guys like these so the media would stop saying we can’t keep players etc. With Gov/Cameron/Lever etc it made it difficult and the weak minded person unwilling to make the tough calls would have done what we did.

But in hindsight I think that makes it all crystal clear now. We don’t have a list manager with the right constitution to do what needs to be done for the best interest of this club.

My instinct at the time was no to Gibbs and to trade out Sloane and Lynch. But I was very unsure as well, even though that was my gut. But that’s why I would be a s**t list manager. As would most of the people on our big footy board who didn’t jump up and down screaming when we extended Sloane or Lynch (most of us). Or at the time were against the Gibbs trade (I was against in 2016, but folded after the GF).

We need a list manager with some ******* balls. And if he does have balls he is going to piss off almost everybody on this board. Cause he is not going to be doing deals like we did with Gibbs/Sloane/Lynch and my guess is precious players like Laird/Smith/M or B Crouch will be traded in a heartbeat if the deal is right. :)

Maybe Gibbs fall of grace is just another symptom of what has gone wrong the last two years... like most other things that have happened (camp, Burton etc) maybe the club let him down too... I don't think he was an expensive mistake at all.. next year will prove me wrong or right either way.
I'm going to put my reputation (LOL) on the line, and say that Gibbs will bounce back next year. Pretty confident.

3 trades over the next 2 years
Manufacture and extra top 10 draft pick to go with pick 3 and get 2 mids like Kemp and Flanders ( may mean to trade Laird but last resort)
Grundy FA 2020
Lukosius 1st rounder 2020
Keath keep
Still have a lot of draft picks this year from Jenkins, Greenwood, Sauce, Betts, Knight, pick 21 & 26

Just need to hire someone to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back