Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the part i worry about.

Its funny weve stockpiled next yrs picks if we feel he or others wont nominate.

The picks weve stockpiled look like being about 1.5 players worth, mite get some more on draft nite but def think at best were only getting 2out of edwards, borlase and mystery x

Edwards is about pick 20 and Borlase is maybe pick 35 to 40.

We're fine for points. I deal world, we have two picks, THEN Edwards, then a pick THEN Borlase.

Confirmed as rubbish by someone who would 100% know but if course they would say that...
I strongly disagree and happily put my posting history up to support this.

I think it is impossible in this day and age for a player who is drafted to be a "mystery". It just doesn't happen.

Brayden Sier is probably the closest recently, and even then he still very publicly played school footy. It was just that Collingwood rated him higher from what he showed at that level.

Edwards is about pick 20 and Borlase is maybe pick 35 to 40.

We're fine for points. I deal world, we have two picks, THEN Edwards, then a pick THEN Borlase.
Ahh rogey, wasn't sure where Borlase was rated, the way some on here talk I thought he might be 5-20. Had a fair idea Edwards would be 20-30.

I was interested in this mystery NGA player that we have access to and did a bit of reading on the draft hub. My guess is that 192cm forward Kaine Baldwin is the supposed explosive mid. Can someone with more draft knowledge confirm or deny? Am I just chasing a BigFooty phantom?

Isn't Dudley supposed to be a superstar? He's 2021 though right?

He is supposed to be a 2021 superstar. I read an article that said he used to play for Malley Park (Port Lincoln), which is Port Adelaide's NGA zone, but now lives in Centrals' metro zone.

Either the Crows are:
1. holding out for the AFL to allow metro indigenous kids in the NGA, or
2. looking to have more SA kids with Crows allegiance drafted overall to improve our ability to pick non-vic metro kids at the draft and entice more SA kids back home after their first two years.

Either way, this is a good spend of Crows' surplus cash (assume not captured in footy spend tax calculations)

Ahh rogey, wasn't sure where Borlase was rated, the way some on here talk I thought he might be 5-20. Had a fair idea Edwards would be 20-30.
If anything it'd be the other way around at this stage, Edwards looking a better prospect.

Borlase would be top 50, but would need to become a KPD or mid to go significantly higher imo. Edwards on exposed form at the championships, is a top 10 underaged mid in his cohort

If anything it'd be the other way around at this stage, Edwards looking a better prospect.

Borlase would be top 50, but would need to become a KPD or mid to go significantly higher imo. Edwards on exposed form at the championships, is a top 10 underaged mid in his cohort
I expect Edwards will probably be in that 10-20 range.
Borlase harder to rate as he’s a natural KPD. If he plays there could end up top 20 himself.

No idea who this Newchurch guy is.
Baldwin.. is he eligible?

I expect Edwards will probably be in that 10-20 range.
Borlase harder to rate as he’s a natural KPD. If he plays there could end up top 20 himself.

No idea who this Newchurch guy is.
Baldwin.. is he eligible?
No idea on those other two myself.

Outside of a few south Australians I really have a poor grasp of next year's draft pool, having just seen Victorian championships underagers and following the more talked about boys attached to us more closely.

Bicks would still be the guy to ask about draft positions as a whole imo. There's another guy on the draft board who focuses on South Australian talent so that may be worth a look if he has anything on next year available.

I think you might be right. I was just going to pose the same question.
He kicked 7 goals in an under 18’s game this year for North and is 185cm at the moment.
Luke Edwards was playing in the same game and had 32 possessions and a goal.
So much for keeping things under wraps about PlayerX (if true) :grin:

[giphy.com] the-cats-out-of-the-bag [e].gif

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does anyone know yet whether we have rights to Dudley?
My take on it is that we will only have access if the rules change to include metro talent for interstate clubs, which is on the cards. If not, then no we don't have access.

Doesn't help much but that's the story as of now; no we do not.have access

My take on it is that we will only have access if the rules change to include metro talent for interstate clubs, which is on the cards. If not, then no we don't have access.

Doesn't help much but that's the story as of now; no we do not.have access
Then I can’t understand why we continue to promote him and others “hey we’ve got these great academy players but we can’t pick them”

Then I can’t understand why we continue to promote him and others “hey we’ve got these great academy players but we can’t pick them”
Which would explain the touchy defensive emails I received back from the club when asking about this very issue.

Just another case of the AFC being completely non transparent with its members about matters that have a direct affect on the performance of the team on field.

Which would explain the touchy defensive emails I received back from the club when asking about this very issue.

Just another case of the AFC being completely non transparent with its members about matters that have a direct affect on the performance of the team on field.
What did they say?

Didn't specifically say that we didn't have access to those players but said they're working with the AFL to ensure these players get into the system and how much good work was being done.
A nice non-answer from the club!

Didn't specifically say that we didn't have access to those players but said they're working with the AFL to ensure these players get into the system and how much good work was being done.
Why are we fattening up these kids only for Hawthorn or Sydney to swoop in and take them away and we get nothing? I understand investing time and effort if all of those kids could potentially be on our list if we want them to be.

Why are we advertising how good these kids are? West coast hide players in remote areas and we broadcast to the world how awesome they are and how well we developed them. It is the one area we can get a leg up and we're wasting it.

If that new rule comes in about metro players it only applies to picks after 40 anything before that and we get no rights to them

Why are we fattening up these kids only for Hawthorn or Sydney to swoop in and take them away and we get nothing? I understand investing time and effort if all of those kids could potentially be on our list if we want them to be.

Why are we advertising how good these kids are? West coast hide players in remote areas and we broadcast to the world how awesome they are and how well we developed them. It is the one area we can get a leg up and we're wasting it.

If that new rule comes in about metro players it only applies to picks after 40 anything before that and we get no rights to them

I saw somewhere that we might get access to a maximum one top 20 pick match per year, but can't remember where I saw it. We won't know until the rules are announced. Given that North have access to an indigenous population greater that half of the SA indigenous population (hard to tell with the other zones), fairness would dictate there shouldn't be any restriction on Port and Crows (but unlikely, as we are not victorian clubs).

Having more SA kids drafted, particularly with Crows allegiances, isn't a bad thing even if we don't get priority access. We have more to pick from on draft night and can hopefully get more to come home.

We should be telling the world that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is awesome, particularly those that look good but won't make it as an AFL player (which we should have the inside running on).

Eligibility for Next Generation Academies (NGA)
All clubs may also establish a ‘Next Generation Academy’ to develop junior football talent within their zone. It should be noted that clubs only get priority access to those players deemed to be “Qualified NGA Players”, however.

While all players between the ages of 10 and 15 years old who live in the club’s zone can be included in the NGA, eligibility for inclusion beyond age 15 years up until 18 years old is limited to Qualified NGA Players.

AFL Rules 2019 said:
15.2 (b) A person must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club’s Next Generation Academy in a Football Year:
(i) a person must attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the relevant Football Year; and
(ii) unless the person is a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 15 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year;
(iii) in the case of a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year – except as provided by Rule 15.9.
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019.pdf

Qualified NGA Players include Indigenous players, players who were born in Africa, Asia or a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) country, and players who have a biological parent who was born in either Africa, Asia or a CALD country.

Qualified NGA Players may only join the NGA of one club, and must continue to live within the club’s zone to stay in the NGA.

Qualified NGA Players must also have played at least 10 games in the relevant underage competition in their state and has never been registered in the AFL.

AFL Rules 2019 said:
15.8 (a) For the purposes of this Rule 15, a Qualified NGA Player means a NGA Player who:
(i) was born in Africa or Asia; or
(ii) has a biological parent who was born in Africa or Asia; or
(iii) is an Indigenous Person; or
(iv) is a CALD NGA Player, and:
(v) has not at any time been registered with AFL as a Player with any Club;
(vi) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has not entered into a Next Generation Academy Agreement with a Club other than the Club seeking approval of that NGA Player as a Qualified NGA Player under Rule 15.8(d)15.8(d);
(vii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has been and continues to be domiciled in the relevant part of the Club’s NGA Region from the period after he first entered into a Next Generation Academy Agreement with the relevant Club;
(viii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has participated in at least 10 matches in the TAC Cup competition, SANFL under 18s Macca’s Cup competition, WAFL under 19s Colts competition or the underage national Australian football championships conducted under the auspices of AFL; and
(ix) is approved in writing by General Counsel under Rule 15.8(d).

Eligibility for Next Generation Academies (NGA)
All clubs may also establish a ‘Next Generation Academy’ to develop junior football talent within their zone. It should be noted that clubs only get priority access to those players deemed to be “Qualified NGA Players”, however.

While all players between the ages of 10 and 15 years old who live in the club’s zone can be included in the NGA, eligibility for inclusion beyond age 15 years up until 18 years old is limited to Qualified NGA Players.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019.pdf

Qualified NGA Players include Indigenous players, players who were born in Africa, Asia or a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) country, and players who have a biological parent who was born in either Africa, Asia or a CALD country.

Qualified NGA Players may only join the NGA of one club, and must continue to live within the club’s zone to stay in the NGA.

Qualified NGA Players must also have played at least 10 games in the relevant underage competition in their state and has never been registered in the AFL.

Not sure how other people are reading this, but to me it appears as if, given Dudley is over the age of 15 then he must have been classed as a 'Qualified NGA Player', not just an included NGA player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back