Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they adding Hartley as well? In 2 years time, they,'re going to have added about 20 blokes onto their list and they'll all be 28 years old. It's either going to go down as genius or a bloody disaster. As much as I hate Hawthorn, I do love that they are sticking their finger up at prevailing wisdom and kind of hope it doesn't flop. Only kind of though, the other parts of me hope it's a complete train wreck.
You can say the same thing with many clubs on how they will look a couple of years older but I would hope that there would be a core group of players at Hawthorn that will move into that 22-26 aged bracket to take the club forward such as Siss, Worpel, Hardwick, Impey, Lewis, Scrimshaw plus some other new arrivals will land over the next 2/3 years.

All the talk during the 3peat regarding Hawthorn from oppo supporters, “just wait and see when Hodge, Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, Rough, Gibbo etc stop playing soon”. “Enjoy it while it lasts, bottom 4” blah blah. To turn the list around so quickly and put the club into a position that is not far off the best teams ........ bloody rapt as a supporter!

My favourite post was the one boasting that Worpel was magnificent enough to beat out the great Ricky Henderson for the B&F.
That was me and I was taking the piss! However still an amazing feat for a kid on only a dozen games going into this season. At a club that just missed finals (so it does have some good players other than Henderson 😄) and throw in the pressure on his shoulders with Tom going down before the season started ..... playing in the guts! Strong character in this kid has leadership written all over him.

Hartley's 26. And we're still yet to sign him.
Yes which is my point, it means he'll be 28 in 2 years time. Thats my point. Your 3peat was won by a core of blokes around that age. You appear to be trying to set up to do the same thing again, just about all the blokes you've brought in are the same age. From a list strategy point of view, what Hawthorn are doing is compulsory viewing and will either dramatically change the current draft and trade environment if you succeed. Or it will entrench it if it all goes awry.

Worpel? A-grader?
Nah.

Won a B&F, broke the AFL season record for disposals by a teenager and won more clearances than any player in the AFL post the mid-season bye in 2019.

He's an A-grader, whether you simpletons think so or not.

Worpel has not once exhibited the same physical traits as Dustin Martin, who even as a young player, had some serious acceleration and power through the stoppages. Worpel is not in the same realm, and never will be.

Joel Selwood begs to differ. He still has nightmares about the day he was mugged off by a kid in his first year.

You can say the same thing with many clubs on how they will look a couple of years older.
Yes, you can say it about most of the top teams. The difference is how teams got to that age bracket. Hawthorn will have got there very quickly. If it's a success it will chanhe the trading and draft environment significantly because it is a different way to rebuild. If it wasn't Hawthorn, I'd be hoping for success, because it is ridiculous that a 27 year old star is often viewed as less valuable than an untried kid.

Joel Selwood begs to differ. He still has nightmares about the day he was mugged off by a kid in his first year.

Great goal, but Selwood just misjudged it and thought he was going to get there first, committed to kicking it off the ground and thankfully pulled out because it would have been hideous if he hadn't.

Won a B&F, broke the AFL season record for disposals by a teenager and won more clearances than any player in the AFL post the mid-season bye in 2019.

He's an A-grader, whether you simpletons think so or not.
Hes certainly heading for a very high level, but needs to back it up before being put in the top bracket.

That was me and I was taking the piss! However still an amazing feat for a kid on only a dozen games going into this season. At a club that just missed finals (so it does have some good players other than Henderson 😄) and throw in the pressure on his shoulders with Tom going down before the season started ..... playing in the guts! Strong character in this kid has leadership written all over him.
He looks an absolute ripper and you should be delighted, but things can change once a bloke starts copping defensive attention, so youre going pretty early with comparisons to Bont.

Yes, you can say it about most of the top teams. The difference is how teams got to that age bracket. Hawthorn will have got there very quickly. If it's a success it will chanhe the trading and draft environment significantly because it is a different way to rebuild. If it wasn't Hawthorn, I'd be hoping for success, because it is ridiculous that a 27 year old star is often viewed as less valuable than an untried kid.
Hopefully all the money spent by the Hawks sending Clarko overseas for many years visiting all the best soccer/NFL clubs etc will pay off and is behind the current transition, player profile and list management strategy used by the Hawks🤞

Hopefully all the money spent by the Hawks sending Clarko overseas for many years visiting all the best soccer/NFL clubs etc will pay off and is behind the current transition, player profile and list management strategy used by the Hawks🤞
Hope can vary. I'm hoping hes gone to the same blokes who informed Carlton in the mid 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes which is my point, it means he'll be 28 in 2 years time. Thats my point. Your 3peat was won by a core of blokes around that age. You appear to be trying to set up to do the same thing again, just about all the blokes you've brought in are the same age. From a list strategy point of view, what Hawthorn are doing is compulsory viewing and will either dramatically change the current draft and trade environment if you succeed. Or it will entrench it if it all goes awry.
He'll cost 2 tenths of fk all. In fact, he may not even get a game. Depth at best.

Can you read? They said at the same age.
Then you reference Cogs. Are you 10?
Fnerd has one of the worst cases of 2013 PTSD you will find.

I cannot believe every Hawthorn supporter thinks Worpel is better than Bont and Dusty lol.

I believe we should have had the opportunity to draft Bont when Franklin left as a free agent. pick 19 was poo, they got that for Motlop FFS

Thread title seems to forget the system seems to disadvantage Hawthorn wherever possible. Gil finding money for cogs to stay at giants another example

Thread title seems to forget the system seems to disadvantage Hawthorn wherever possible. Gil finding money for cogs to stay at giants another example
How did preventing Cogs from coming to Essendon disadvantage Hawthorn?

Now you're potting Hodge. 4 flags and 2 Norms says he doesn't give a s**t.
Attacking Hodge? Um, no? Just correctly pointing out that the Bont gave him a bath in the 2016 semi. Again, that is a fact you cannot deny.

It's just TheBigB's turn. Next week it will be one of bigfootys other wonderful posters.

Attacking Worpel is the new thing, I for one welcome any negative comments to be directed his way. Will make for some fun bumps when it's my turn.
Attacking Worpel? All I said was that he's not a certain A grader.

You Hawthorn supporters are something else, I swear. Unless someone fully accepts all of your players are guns and Hawthorn are perfect in every way, they're "attacking" your players.

if theres something most hawks posters can agree on, they are generally happy how the club proceeds, even though they may not actually like individual choices. the whole is fairly rewarding?

Will they succeed? maybe not. Cyril retiring early and Tom mitchell injured were not envisaged.

Personally I dont believe the full rebuild 'prevailing wisdom' (as it was described) is something a club should engineer. If you find yourself in that position, by all means act accordingly. its borderline negligence to bring that on intentionally.

Attacking Hodge? Um, no? Just correctly pointing out that the Bont gave him a bath in the 2016 semi. Again, that is a fact you cannot deny.

Attacking Worpel? All I said was that he's not a certain A grader.

You Hawthorn supporters are something else, I swear. Unless someone fully accepts all of your players are guns and Hawthorn are perfect in every way, they're "attacking" your players.

Just on 2016. I wasnt in any way unhappy the doggies won a flag. but show me another premier recently who was advantaged by free kick count to that extent in finals

No, acting like you are the only team with significant injuries to key players is whinging.
Not sure where you are going. Hawks convincingly beat Collingwood GWS Geelong Eagles at the end of the season. They had key players out, so did we.
Theyll get players back, so will we.

Not sure where you are going. Hawks convincingly beat Collingwood GWS Geelong Eagles at the end of the season. They had key players out, so did we.
Theyll get players back, so will we.
Indeed - every team has injuries yet this bloody injury to Mitchell is spoken about like its had more impact on your team that injuries other teams experience. Stop using Mitchell's injury as an excuse for missing the finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back