Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why trade patton in then? You make no sense. Try not to think of everything is like essendon. Most are light years
ahead

how come essendons first pick is 33? What have they ‘conceded’?
Patton is a stop-gap option until Hawthorn develop someone better that can have an impact long term. He arrival isn't going to be the catalyst for Hawthorn suddenly shooting up the ladder.

Patton is a stop-gap option until Hawthorn develop someone better that can have an impact long term. He arrival isn't going to be the catalyst for Hawthorn suddenly shooting up the ladder.
Four more wins gets them in the top 4, which they got in 2018. Its nothing

Will probably only win 3 flags.

His dad only won 2 right?

It’s a bit like the Kennedy dynasty.

The grandfather jagged 3 flags as coach, the son had 4 and the grandson probably would have won 5 had he stuck around.

But by Sydney Swans standards 1 Bloods flag = 5 Hawthorn flags

So...

recycled players is a bit different isnt it?
We used a fair few elite draft picks for some of those recycled players.
We have just gone a different way about of obtaining the elite end of the draft.
Hawks valuing known quantities and willing to pay for it.
The elite end of the draft has plenty of failures for all the success stories.
At least we get a relatively known quantity by the trading of elite draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 13 not elite end? :$

Day was a bit of a 'reach' was he not? went up the rankings closer to the draft (like Pickett) but was not that highly ranked for much the year iirc...

he may be, but his body type is a bit of a concern, cant believe how slim he is. Did not want him at the Tigers tbh. But who knows, might end up a unit like fyfe.

In a pool of Flanders, Green, Rowell, Aish etc. i think its a bit of a stretch to classify Day as 'elite' but each to his own. Was clarko getting sentimental?

furthermore im surprised how far maginness slid

Hawks will be competitive with a good run with injuries but I don't think they will go too deep into September. Might be a bit vulnerable to injuries, have to wonder about quality of depth and how many holes they have. Not that you can't have a good year with these issues, it's just that it can be a stumbling block when it comes to ultimate success.

End of the day Hawthorn built their dynasty on the back of a whole heap of early draft picks and top 30 picks and managed to hang on as a very competitive side by topping up regularly with mature age talent. Not sure how long that can be sustained or whether a club who goes down this path for too long can ever get back to ultimate glory but I guess time will tell.

Day was a bit of a 'reach' was he not? went up the rankings closer to the draft (like Pickett) but was not that highly ranked for much the year iirc...

he may be, but his body type is a bit of a concern, cant believe how slim he is. Did not want him at the Tigers tbh. But who knows, might end up a unit like fyfe.

In a pool of Flanders, Green, Rowell, Aish etc. i think its a bit of a stretch to classify Day as 'elite' but each to his own. Was clarko getting sentimental?

considering many of the phantom drafts had us picking Day, or port picking him with #14, I'd say its probably not a reach. Obviously a talented kid and most reports consider him one of the players with the "most upside" in the draft

Yes I must admit I was pretty surprised that no one bid on Finn until North @ 29. I would've thought he'd be bid on in the 22-25 range.

Team, the club comes before any individual at Hawthorn ..... Day would have been the best pick on their list once it came. Emotion never would come into it.

In terms of what happens thereafter your guess is as good as mine but the lad looks like he hasn’t even started shaving so he will put on size. From footage I have seen beautiful kick both sides, always has time on his hands/great composure, good runner with endurance, nice mark with his height and most importantly, even with his size he always has a crack. Hawks now have a few contested mids and a classy outside runner is what the team needs given that Smith/Scully/Hendo are getting on.

His grandfather one of the best center men going around in SA in his day and courageous. Day has the same genes 🤞.
We’re coming!!!!!

What exactly is the elite end of the draft? Top 5 picks? Top 10 picks? First round picks?
Are the Hawks actually ignoring the elite end? With all their success in recent years they didn't get top 10 draft picks so how is that ignoring the top end when you don't qualify for any due to their own success? Yes we traded away some first round draft picks but it was to get top end draft picks in just ones with established history and from that are we actually ignoring the top end of the draft?
We might not get players in their draft year but getting players from other clubs has been the only way we have been able to get elite draft picks in.
Consider this:
Tom Scully - Pick 1
Jon Patton - Pick 1
Jaeger O'Meara - pick 1 Mini Draft
Chad Wingard - Pick 6
Jack Scrimshaw - Pick 7
Ben mCevoy - Pick 9
James Frawley - Pick 12
Shaun Burgoyne - Pick 12
Tom Mitchell - Pick 21 but as a F/S and they tend to drop lower (Ablett a classic example).

That's a lot of pick 1 draft picks in the same team, from that stat alone you would think we have had the success of Carlton.

Gaz jrn isn't a classic example. They're was no bidding system in 2001 so it was just a late pick.

Hawks will be competitive with a good run with injuries but I don't think they will go too deep into September. Might be a bit vulnerable to injuries, have to wonder about quality of depth and how many holes they have. Not that you can't have a good year with these issues, it's just that it can be a stumbling block when it comes to ultimate success.

What holes should Clarko be looking at next 2/3 years if you don’t mind me asking?

Fair comment. Day wouldn't have been my pick but then the extent of my draft knowledge is limited to phantom drafts, and the odd article and highlights reel. Hawthorn apparently interview a very large number of draftees relative to other clubs (source is just anecdotal) and have had an impressive record in identifying talent in recent years turning up quite a few mid-late draft successes. So when they go and pick a fairly unassuming, lightly built player and say they've made a pick with the long term in mind I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that there's a reasonable chance it will indeed pay off. But of course there's no certainty with these things and it could just be another Kieran Lovell situation. Either way we're unlikely to be able to judge this pick properly for at least a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back