Did GCS stuff up by losing Jack Martin for nothing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he a good player though? He hasnt really played a good game of football in 2 years. I said at the start of the trade period he would be lucky to be worth a 2nd round pick. Not stressed losing him at all because he has been fairly ineffectual for us over the last 2 years. Hoping you can get the best out of him
He is a c grader

...we arent losing a thing with Martin. He doesn't work hard enough as a mid or as a forward doesn't apply enough defensive pressure.

This struck me as odd, because from what I saw of him recently he actually did seem to be applying pressure pretty well. Checked the stats and he's averaged over 5 tackles a game in the last two years. Tippa is going at around 4 per game, and Cyril used to go at around 4.5 per game. So I think his defensive pressure has actually been good.

I'd say his conversion rate over the same period is the major worry. Is literally only a 50/50 prospect when kicking for goal.

Carlton offered them picks they wouldn't be able to use anyway because of list space. GC countered with a pick upgrade, which if I remember correctly was worth fewer points than the picks Carlton offered (not that points matter but it's a guide).

GC would have gotten no benefit from the trade anyway. While losing jack Martin for nothing may not have benefitted GC for this year, perhaps it will make clubs come to the table better in future. For example, if a club that finished mid table wants one of their players, low balling and knowing GC might just send the player to the draft may be a much bigger risk, so they may come to the table properly.

Carlton offered them picks they wouldn't be able to use anyway because of list space. GC countered with a pick upgrade, which if I remember correctly was worth fewer points than the picks Carlton offered (not that points matter but it's a guide).

GC would have gotten no benefit from the trade anyway. While losing jack Martin for nothing may not have benefitted GC for this year, perhaps it will make clubs come to the table better in future. For example, if a club that finished mid table wants one of their players, low balling and knowing GC might just send the player to the draft may be a much bigger risk, so they may come to the table properly.

They could have used the picks Carlton offered them to trade up to a better single pick...or trade for a better future pick or player. Any list manager with nous can utilize picks 'well'...GC clearly dont have this nous and they proved that again during the draft itself.

GC got unlucky that Carlton finished 3rd last. If they finished 9th then Martin would have gone somewhere else.

GC did the right thing.
GC knew that Carlton finished 3rd last. They did what they did anyway.

And Luke Ball still went to Collingwood, albeit he failed to last til the PSD, going at pick 30; still, any club between picks 1-29 could've picked him.

It was a silly decision, but it has more to do with what's to come (Rankine, Lukosius, King, Anderson, Rowell) than Martin, or Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is actually the kind of thing I think Gold Coast keep getting wrong - they act like if they don't have an immediate use for a pick (or player!), it's worthless.

Meanwhile the rest of the comp goes about trading out unwanted picks & players at market value.

Picks are currency! Gold Coast think they have no use for five dollar notes because they've already got a few and what they really want is a twenty. GWS, on the other hand, hoard every gold coin they can find, and look at that, suddenly they can trade into pick four.

I like to think of it as they both got what they wanted in the end. Suns got the pick 9 (11) in the end, and chose the player they wanted. Carlton got the 15/20 that suns were wanting to load off, and Martin. Just because they happened on two separate days doesn't mean much.

I feel like both clubs got what they want in the end with the live trade on draft night, though maybe GC could have used 9 in a trade with Adelaide for Crouch had they gotten it earlier

Losing him for a token 55+ pick is barely better, by that stage of the draft you aren't missing anything that you can't acquire elsewhere, and it's really just a list spot lottery with kids that late.

However if they were offered something decent inside the first 35 picks, then yeh probably should have taken it.

If they genuinely wanted to make a stance and say don't * with us at the trade table, they needed to redraft him for a year and either win him back, play him in the ressies, or force him to sit out a year.

It's easier to pull numbers out of your arse I suppose.
That's the figure, it's a front loaded deal. Even Carlton fans have been attuned to this. It might not be "exactly" 2 million over 2, but it's essentially an enormously front loaded deal which probably priced some clubs out of contention and assured he got to Carlton.

90% of player traded would get to their team of choice in one of the drafts anyway but its a pretty stressful process for the player and new club which is why clubs do trades.

You certainly dont want to make a habit of attracting players and then not getting the deal done.

As for whether GC did the right thing it depends on what was actually offered and when.

Is he a good player though? He hasnt really played a good game of football in 2 years. I said at the start of the trade period he would be lucky to be worth a 2nd round pick. Not stressed losing him at all because he has been fairly ineffectual for us over the last 2 years. Hoping you can get the best out of him
I disagree. Round 2 2019. Won the game for GC over Fremantle and received 3 Brownlow votes for his trouble. Backed it up the following week v the dogs where he got 2. GC wheels fell off soon after, a couple close losses but that was the end. Martin is was arguably GC best player up to round 4. He had 29d and 10t v west coast in round 7. 20d 8t and a goal v Geelong in round 10. He’s played plenty good games even this year. So stop kidding yourself.

90% of player traded would get to their team of choice in one of the drafts anyway but its a pretty stressful process for the player and new club which is why clubs do trades.

You certainly dont want to make a habit of attracting players and then not getting the deal done.

As for whether GC did the right thing it depends on what was actually offered and when.
According to Cal, GCS did actually offer 15,20 and Martin to Carlton but silvagni reject it during trade period, he mention the offer started way back in October.

Their (Carlton) last call was to Gold Coast, who had been offering picks 15 and 20 for pick No.9 since October's trade period

Last edited:
I disagree. Round 2 2019. Won the game for GC over Fremantle and received 3 Brownlow votes for his trouble. Backed it up the following week v the dogs where he got 2. GC wheels fell off soon after, a couple close losses but that was the end. Martin is was arguably GC best player up to round 4. He had 29d and 10t v west coast in round 7. 20d 8t and a goal v Geelong in round 10. He’s played plenty good games even this year. So stop kidding yourself.
I’m not kidding my self, he floats in and out of games and never plays 4 quarters. Stats don’t tell half the story, I’m allowed to rate a player as I see fit and I don’t think he is anything more then a solid role player. It’s fine for you to rate him differently but I just don’t see it

I’m not kidding my self, he floats in and out of games and never plays 4 quarters. Stats don’t tell half the story, I’m allowed to rate a player as I see fit and I don’t think he is anything more then a solid role player. It’s fine for you to rate him differently but I just don’t see it
You’re right stats don’t tell half the story. They tell the majority of it.

According to Cal, GCS did actually offer 15,20 and Martin to Carlton but silvagni reject it during trade period, he mention the offer started way back in October.

Their (Carlton) last call was to Gold Coast, who had been offering picks 15 and 20 for pick No.9 since October's trade period
this could be correct but 9 was always needed if papley /daniher deals played out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back