Play Nice The Other Codes - Participation, Admin, Ratings, Crowds etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer hopes that " the new pay-and-conditions deal...last season will help the game retain and recruit players as the battle for the top athletes develops in women's sport".
Last season, about half of the 54 W League matches were televised, or streamed etc. In 2018/19, all 54 will be.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...season-as-a-game-changer-20180906-p5025n.html
Noticed mentioned in the Sydney AFL awards count the name Georgia Yeoman-Dale, another up and coming young W-league player playing footy in the off season. This is the sort of player that may switch entirely if the rewards in footy get big enough. You can probably still get more in soccer, but you would have to be a Matilda, and get picked up overseas. If you dont look like getting there, and footy has a decently paid domestic league, it would be an attractive proposition.

The Age reported a crowd figure of 3,026 for last night's Aus v NZ women's T20 at North Sydney Oval (fwiw tickets were $15 adults, $10 concession compared to $10 and $5 for last season's matches against England).

Not huge tv numbers, but still pretty encouraging in the grand scheme of things. Liked the scheduling too, hopefully CA stick with that fixture in the future.

Netball fears secret agenda in code mix

Bit of disquiet in the Netball ranks. An article in The Weakend Aus sees the Diamonds head coach Lisa Alexander* questioning the AFLs understanding of global games - she suggests the AFL is siloed, IMHO blinkered is what she is on about. Talks about the demise of the Fish Creek Football & Netball Club as an example of the AFL focus on elite competition at the expense of grassroots organisations.
Can see her point, not from a netball view but thru Aussie Rules eyes, where a national Reserves comp will tear the fabric of the second tier nationally.
Other Netball leaders are questioning 'true motivation of football clubs

Having heard Ms Alexander on Melbourne radio (SEN & the ABC), she is a died in the wool Hawker & across all sports so dont just fob this off as jealous coach syndrome, she's bin dare, done that !

Netball Aus arent going to issue any other national licences & both the Hawks & D's have partnered with local Clubs, with Monash Uni Netball team rebranded Hawks Netball & Melbourne a similar arrangement with Casey Netball for next year.
Super netball affilations are limted to Collingwood, the Storm & GWS (referred to as :rolleyes: a strategic partnership.

Sorry no link, as a practising Luddite I cant access The Aus paywall, buy a copy of the paper, I did. See how I go with a little help from a friend tomorrow.

& for the record I believe the Eagles have some sort of link to the Fever: http://www.westcoastfever.com.au/News/fever-and-eagles-to-own-the-west

Last edited:
Swans also have some sort of link with the Swifts.

Netball and footy have traditionally been comfortable bed fellows, but the growth of AFLW will definitely stretch the friendship.

Yes go and check out Southern NSW for an example - At last count 53 Mens Clubs as of 2018 with Netball Clubs attached.
Womens footy is slowly stirring in the region and will prove to be a classic disrupter over time.

Yes go and check out Southern NSW for an example - At last count 53 Mens Clubs as of 2018 with Netball Clubs attached.
Womens footy is slowly stirring in the region and will prove to be a classic disrupter over time.

Unless they can attract more women to the club, so that netball doesn't suffer, but they are going to have to attract a LOT of women.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Womens Rugby League appears to be growing around the world and they are holding another World Cup in 2021.
I was surprised at the number of countries involved but it appears and I cannot prove it that it is linked to Rugby 7/15 players in some areas.
Anyhow good luck to them and their National Bodies are getting behind their teams, and they do not have ground availability problems to contend with utilising enclosed (For Revenue) Rugby/Soccer Football fields.
The comp above will have worldwide TV cover for the first time and it was dominated by NZ and Australia in its early editions.

Womens Rugby League appears to be growing around the world and they are holding another World Cup in 2021.
I was surprised at the number of countries involved but it appears and I cannot prove it that it is linked to Rugby 7/15 players in some areas.
Anyhow good luck to them and their National Bodies are getting behind their teams, and they do not have ground availability problems to contend with utilising enclosed (For Revenue) Rugby/Soccer Football fields.
The comp above will have worldwide TV cover for the first time and it was dominated by NZ and Australia in its early editions.

I remember reading that the Canadian women's team was essentially a rugby team that organised on the prospect of a free all expenses paid trip to Australia. There is no rugby league competition in Canada for women at all.

I suspect that the level of dominance will increase markedly given that they'll have four years of professional development and playing teams with little to know rugby league experience.

Imagine even a Tasmanian state team playing Canada in Australian football? It would be a walkover and Canada are at least drawing from a pool of a few hundred players in Australian football

I remember reading that the Canadian women's team was essentially a rugby team that organised on the prospect of a free all expenses paid trip to Australia. There is no rugby league competition in Canada for women at all.

I suspect that the level of dominance will increase markedly given that they'll have four years of professional development and playing teams with little to know rugby league experience.

Imagine even a Tasmanian state team playing Canada in Australian football? It would be a walkover and Canada are at least drawing from a pool of a few hundred players in Australian football
The open field play is similar enough that Canada would have a decent enough league team from fielding Union players. It's going the other way that is a bit difficult.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

A combined Canada/US womens team playing Tassie or the ACT would make for a pretty good match up I reckon.

1. For NRLW 2018 contracted players in their 4 teams, there has been a 40% decline in the number who were also offered NRLW 2019 contracts- on the surface, a large reduction.
However, many reasons for this, but probably because female RL standards are rising. As female contact RL nos. (& female contact RU, mainly 7's) are growing strongly (off low bases)in NSW & Qld, there are now, probably, many more fit & skilled players emerging.

This female growth in contact RL & RU must diminish the growth of female GR AF in NSW/ACT & Qld.- particularly in Sydney's western suburbs.

2. Examples of improvements in NRLW fitness, strength, & speed levels.

The NRL (with net profits of c. $76,000,000, in total, in the last 2 years) will probably start to seriously promote the NRLW, as it realises the many benefits it will deliver for the game of RL, including its GR.
The RL female State Of Origin crowds & ratings were strong; & the NRLW (doubleheaders at NRL Finals) appears to have attracted support from the RL public.

Will the NRLW ever attract similar levels of crowd/Ratings/MSM support, cf the AFLW?
It will inevitably expand to 16 clubs, possibly by 2030? And what time of year will it be played?

Indicating its confidence in the NRLW in 2019, there will be 2 stand-alone NRLW matches in 2019- in Auckland & Leichhardt.

Last edited:
The comment about the NRLW Growth affecting our Womens game in NSW is very timely.
Normally I would say yes it maybe a problem however NSW has a large population compared to most Australian States and that will likely assist our game.
Where I would get worried is when our Womens numbers up there start dropping of stagnate over time and dont forget the big numbers of females playing Soccer Football and still our Womens game continues to expand.

We are never going to dominate the NSW market at anytime but just push to get our share -What size that share is the big question.
Also we are handicapped in the fact that no actual total numbers have been released for up there(NSW only) only percentages increase over the previous year, and it is likely the actual figure in 2016 when the first season of AFLW happened it was very very low.
I do not count the ACT figure which can be worked out because they are more transparent.

Last edited:
This article covers the NRL Touch Footy World for 2017/8.
According to the article the total participation in the sport is about 50/50 Male/Female.
There are about 300,000 female players which surprised me because NRL Propaganda indirectly said they had 600,000 female players.
I know it is sport which is good and is very very easy to get involved and appeals to the non contact people in the community but running up and down a field is very basic to say the least - However each to their own.
The question is how will this affect recruiting females in NSW for our game.
It is likely that AR will attract contact sport type people which puts the sport in competition with the 2 well established Rugby codes, and that is the challenge for AFLNSW.
However we really do not know what the answer is - Time will tell.

1. Female contact RU (mainly 7's) & RL (latter off a small base) are having significant growth in Australia, which will greatly help RU & RL...and reduce nos. for female AF in NSW, ACT & Qld.
The schoolgirls' team has just won a world Schoolgirls' 7's competition in NZ.

2. Australian women have just finished 2nd (to NZ) in Cape Town In a World Series 7's competition.
(The Australian men's 7's team, surprisingly, finished 12th, to Canada).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back