The Erin v Daisy Debate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody has posted on this particular board within the last week.
I'm still a fair way off finishing the words for my next MVP list (the list itself was completed 5 months ago).
And nowadays every second conversation regarding any given sport must be reduced to a fight over a certain four-letter acronym.

Hence this thread is very necessary.

Daisy Pearce
1x AFLW premiership player (1x captain)
3x AFLW All-Australian (1x captain)
3x club B&F
4x AFLPA Best Captain
10x VWFL/VFLW premiership player (7x captain)
7x VWFL Best and Fairest

Erin Phillips
3x AFLW premiership player (2x captain)
2x AFLW Best and Fairest
2x AFLW Grand Final BOG
2x club B&F
2x AFLPA MVP
1x Olympic basketball silver medallist

Statistical high points
Pearce:
37 disposals and 1 goal vs Allies, 2017 SOO
17 disposals and 5 goals vs Fremantle, 2022 R9

Phillips:
26 kicks and 2 goals vs Brisbane, 2017 GF
21 disposals and 4 goals vs Brisbane, 2021 R4

Similarities/differences
Though I’m comparing them, it isn’t actually a like-for-like comparison on the field. Pearce was more reliant on ground coverage a la Emily Bates, whereas Erin Phillips is more about winning the in-close contest like Jasmine Garner. But the fact is both players could handle either facet of the game supremely well.

So the biggest difference between the two is their kicking. Pearce was a precise but not powerful kick. Phillips gets far more distance but can be prone to an occasional blind hack or even a string of match-losing sprayed set shots. Likewise with their non-preferred, Pearce more reliable, Phillips more miraculous.

Both players excellent marks overhead for their respective size and height, very clean with their hands (gathering and passing) and exceptionally high football IQ and leadership qualities. Plenty tough and courageous too.

Physical
Phillips prepares her body first and foremost to outmuscle her opponents. I believe her bulkiness has contributed to a long list of injuries, and she has made some rather risky decisions (such as playing relatively meaningless games woefully underdone) that either have, or could have, backfired badly. That said, she will turn 38 next month and is gearing up to go around again, despite a career’s worth of running on hard wood. And I’m expecting she’ll have a much better season than the previous one, which she had no real chance to get up for properly.

Pearce on the other hand was a very astute preparer who learned key lessons from a prolonged football career that enabled sustained high performance with minimal injuries. Even while pregnant with twins, she followed a meticulous training schedule that would allow her to return to the field as a 31-year-old in the best realistically possible condition.

Worth the hype?
Phillips was lucky to win the 2019 GF BOG (should’ve gone to Hatchard). I wouldn’t say she was lucky to win the league B&F in 2017, but Daisy only picking up seven votes was crazy.

Pearce missed out on AA selection in 2020, despite clearly being one of the best defenders that year. She had a few standout matches in 2022 when selected as a forward, but also four very quiet ones which might’ve been held against another player.

Daisy was recently ranked 7th in the WWOS/Age/SMH “50 most influential women in Australian sport” thing, and Erin ludicrously didn’t earn a mention. Fwiw Caro ranked 9th (because the world needs more journos patting other journos on the back) and Jesinta Franklin came in at 42nd.

Erin has had Barack Obama check her out, but Natalie Portman has worn Daisy’s jumper.

Integrity
Phillips averages 1.9 frees for and 0.8 frees against. This is a better ratio than what even Emma Kearney has (2.0 & 1.0) and I’d guess it’s the best in the league, though I don’t know how to efficiently confirm that. Erin has managed this by being a fairly shameless head-thrower, though she is now definitely not as bad as she used to be.

Pearce’s free kick average was 0.9 for and 0.8 against, while usually copping ‘special’ attention from opposition teams. Her only indiscretions in my view are mildly threatening to not play AFLW unless it was with Melbourne, and giving a rather tacky misrepresentation of her club’s outside-the-cap payment arrangements.

Overall both have been gracious in victory and defeat, unselfish and never dirty or undisciplined players.

H2H

Head-to-head they are deadlocked 2-2, and they were mostly two ships passing in the night.

For their first encounter, Melbourne beat a fast-finishing Adelaide in Darwin. Daisy picked up 3 votes for the match, Erin got the 2. Phillips didn’t play in the Allies’ 97-point loss to Victoria later that year, nor in Adelaide’s 32-point loss to Melbourne in 2018.

Pearce then missed Melbourne’s 60-point loss to Adelaide in 2019 due to pregnancy. Their teams didn’t meet in 2020. Melbourne beat Adelaide by 28 in the 2021 H&A, neither player starred. Pearce then missed the 2021 prelim, which Adelaide won by 18.

Phillips had 17 disposals and 3 goals (and 3 votes) in Adelaide’s 14-point R4 win of 2022. The ball hardly found its way into the Melbourne forward line, though Pearce still managed 2 goals.

In their final meeting, the 2022 grand final, Phillips had 17 touches and 1 goal in the Crows’ 13-point win. Pearce had 16 touches and was moved to the backline mid-match.

Melbourne and Port Adelaide didn’t play each other in S7.

Pre-AFLW
Following a VWFL grand final BOG at age 16, Daisy didn’t just take over from the likes of Debbie Lee and Shannon McFerran as Victoria’s best, she justified her status as the no.1 women’s footballer in the country with numerous BOG performances in the unprecedented high-profile exhibition matches from 2013.

As a junior, Erin was recognised by John Cahill to be as good a footballer as anybody he’d ever seen at her age. There isn’t a question that she’d be a better player today if she played football for the remainder of her teens and throughout her 20s. The question is just how much better.

Verdict
I like to look at it from the perspective of which 18-year-old version I’d rather draft. Erin is the rarer breed, which makes me lean towards her. But ultimately, I have to factor in the inevitable mountain of injuries.

Daisy played just two AFLW seasons before deciding to have kids, which is not an injury though it obviously cut her career short. The unmatched combination of natural talent, honed craft and plain old consistency is what made her the most dominant player during that time.

Definitely can't trust anybody who says it isn't a close call, one way or the other. Bout as credible as that Influential 50 list.

Here's the footage and numbers from their one match while both at near physical peak. I forgot that Adelaide also got away to a fast start, including Erin's specky on Melissa Hickey (that part I did remember).

Adelaide2.13.13.15.232Sat 11-Mar-2017 5:40 pmMarrara Stadium
Melbourne0.02.14.35.434Melbourne won by 2 points5,100

Votes:
3 Daisy Pearce (MELB)2 Erin Phillips (ADEL)1 Courtney Cramey (ADEL)

Highlights:

Full match video:

Basic stats:
Player​
G​
B​
D​
K​
H​
M​
T​
HO​
TC​
MG​
GA​
ToG%​
Erin Phillips002017323053090100
Daisy Pearce10201373102351089

Advanced stats:
Player​
AF​
CM​
i50s​
FF​
FA​
CC​
SI​
IP​
Ti50​
DE%​
CP​
UP​
Erin Phillips791640103160116
Daisy Pearce692301034065713

When AFLW puts a name to their best and fairest medal it could only be the Erin Phillips Medal.
There are plenty of deserving people. They might even double-barrel it to include any of Blackburn/Kearney/Paxman/Bates/Prespakis/Bowers/Garner/Randall, like the VFLW's Lambert-Pearce Medal.

Something like, oh idk, the Conti Medal has a better ring to it for the B&F imo than the "Erin Phillips Medal"--sounds more like a grand final BOG award to me, which she'd also be worthy of (and currently probably the best candidate, if they don't use it to honour Jess Wuetschner).

Tougher question, because I haven't been to Adelaide Oval in a while, is where Erin's bronze statue should go.

Nobody has posted on this particular board within the last week.
I'm still a fair way off finishing the words for my next MVP list (the list itself was completed 5 months ago).
And nowadays every second conversation regarding any given sport must be reduced to a fight over a certain four-letter acronym.

Hence this thread is very necessary.

Daisy Pearce
1x AFLW premiership player (1x captain)
3x club B&F
4x AFLPA Best Captain
10x VWFL/VFLW premiership player (7x captain)
7x VWFL Best and Fairest

Erin Phillips
3x AFLW premiership player (2x captain)
2x AFLW Best and Fairest
2x AFLW Grand Final BOG
2x club B&F
2x AFLPA MVP
1x Olympic basketball silver medallist

Statistical high points
Pearce:
37 disposals and 1 goal vs Allies, 2017 SOO
17 disposals and 5 goals vs Fremantle, 2022 R9

Phillips:
26 kicks and 2 goals vs Brisbane, 2017 GF
21 disposals and 4 goals vs Brisbane, 2021 R4

Similarities/differences
Though I’m comparing them, it isn’t actually a like-for-like comparison on the field. Pearce was more reliant on ground coverage a la Emily Bates, whereas Erin Phillips is more about winning the in-close contest like Jasmine Garner. But the fact is both players could handle either facet of the game supremely well.

So the biggest difference between the two is their kicking. Pearce was a precise but not powerful kick. Phillips gets far more distance but can be prone to an occasional blind hack or even a string of match-losing sprayed set shots. Likewise with their non-preferred, Pearce more reliable, Phillips more miraculous.

Both players excellent marks overhead for their respective size and height, very clean with their hands (gathering and passing) and exceptionally high football IQ and leadership qualities. Plenty tough and courageous too.

Physical
Phillips prepares her body first and foremost to outmuscle her opponents. I believe her bulkiness has contributed to a long list of injuries, and she has made some rather risky decisions (such as playing relatively meaningless games woefully underdone) that either have, or could have, backfired badly. That said, she will turn 38 next month and is gearing up to go around again, despite a career’s worth of running on hard wood. And I’m expecting she’ll have a much better season than the previous one, which she had no real chance to get up for properly.

Pearce on the other hand was a very astute preparer who learned key lessons from a prolonged football career that enabled sustained high performance with minimal injuries. Even while pregnant with twins, she followed a meticulous training schedule that would allow her to return to the field as a 31-year-old in the best realistically possible condition.

Worth the hype?
Phillips was lucky to win the 2019 GF BOG (should’ve gone to Hatchard). I wouldn’t say she was lucky to win the league B&F in 2017, but Daisy only picking up seven votes was crazy.

Pearce missed out on AA selection in 2020, despite clearly being one of the best defenders that year. She had a few standout matches in 2022 when selected as a forward, but also four very quiet ones which might’ve been held against another player.

Daisy was recently ranked 7th in the WWOS/Age/SMH “50 most influential women in Australian sport” thing, and Erin ludicrously didn’t earn a mention. Fwiw Caro ranked 9th (because the world needs more journos patting other journos on the back) and Jesinta Franklin came in at 42nd.

Erin has had Barack Obama check her out, but Natalie Portman has worn Daisy’s jumper.

Integrity
Phillips averages 1.9 frees for and 0.8 frees against. This is a better ratio than what even Emma Kearney has (2.0 & 1.0) and I’d guess it’s the best in the league, though I don’t know how to efficiently confirm that. Erin has managed this by being a fairly shameless head-thrower, though she is now definitely not as bad as she used to be.

Pearce’s free kick average was 0.9 for and 0.8 against, while usually copping ‘special’ attention from opposition teams. Her only indiscretions in my view are mildly threatening to not play AFLW unless it was with Melbourne, and giving a rather tacky misrepresentation of her club’s outside-the-cap payment arrangements.

Overall both have been gracious in victory and defeat, unselfish and never dirty or undisciplined players.

H2H

Head-to-head they are deadlocked 2-2, and they were mostly two ships passing in the night.

For their first encounter, Melbourne beat a fast-finishing Adelaide in Darwin. Daisy picked up 3 votes for the match, Erin got the 2. Phillips didn’t play in the Allies’ 97-point loss to Victoria later that year, nor in Adelaide’s 32-point loss to Melbourne in 2018.

Pearce then missed Melbourne’s 60-point loss to Adelaide in 2019 due to pregnancy. Their teams didn’t meet in 2020. Melbourne beat Adelaide by 28 in the 2021 H&A, neither player starred. Pearce then missed the 2021 prelim, which Adelaide won by 18.

Phillips had 17 disposals and 3 goals (and 3 votes) in Adelaide’s 14-point R4 win of 2022. The ball hardly found its way into the Melbourne forward line, though Pearce still managed 2 goals.

In their final meeting, the 2022 grand final, Phillips had 17 touches and 1 goal in the Crows’ 13-point win. Pearce had 16 touches and was moved to the backline mid-match.

Melbourne and Port Adelaide didn’t play each other in S7.

Pre-AFLW
Following a VWFL grand final BOG at age 16, Daisy didn’t just take over from the likes of Debbie Lee and Shannon McFerran as Victoria’s best, she justified her status as the no.1 women’s footballer in the country with numerous BOG performances in the unprecedented high-profile exhibition matches from 2013.

As a junior, Erin was recognised by John Cahill to be as good a footballer as anybody he’d ever seen at her age. There isn’t a question that she’d be a better player today if she played football for the remainder of her teens and throughout her 20s. The question is just how much better.

Verdict
I like to look at it from the perspective of which 18-year-old version I’d rather draft. Erin is the rarer breed, which makes me lean towards her. But ultimately, I have to factor in the inevitable mountain of injuries.

Daisy played just two AFLW seasons before deciding to have kids, which is not an injury though it obviously cut her career short. The unmatched combination of natural talent, honed craft and plain old consistency is what made her the most dominant player during that time.
Great thread.

Any numbers on how many senior games played?

I agree with the “Erin a rarer breed” comment and maybe she did intimidate the opposition more as a threat.
Both great, but Erin for mine

Would have been interesting had they both played footy their entire sporting careers; either both in elite pathways that are available now, or if Erin had played local footy that Daisy did for her first half

As it is, I don't think it's a controversial thought to suggest Erin's time in the WNBA and being a pro athlete her whole love gives her the edge, whereas Daisy spent her early - mid 20s being a weekend warrior with a job during the week as that was her only option

Both superbly natural footballers, Erin got the chance to get her body a level above everyone else

Any numbers on how many senior games played?
I believe Daisy played 188 senior games for Darebin and 13 for Victoria, in addition to the 55 AFLW games for Melbourne.

So that comes to 256, not including the 7 exhibition games for Melbourne which were fair dinkum, and roughly the same amount of Vic U19 games which were played against senior opposition. And two IR games for Australia.

I believe Daisy played 188 senior games for Darebin and 13 for Victoria, in addition to the 55 AFLW games for Melbourne.

So that comes to 256, not including the 7 exhibition games for Melbourne which were fair dinkum, and roughly the same amount of Vic U19 games which were played against senior opposition. And two IR games for Australia.
She is a great footballer Daisy Pearce
I remember hearing her say she played in the same Team as Ben Reid as a junior, both forwards and she won the goal kicking award.
170 tall and could play anywhere on the ground apart from Ruck of course.
Erin Phillips V/captain of an Olympic team, that’s not some little thing that’s more than top 1% in the Country.
I think Daisy made teams better but
I think Erin the more gifted player.
And when Teams are evenly balanced it’s talent that wins games.
Erin still.

I’d be alright with a statue of Daisy.

Phillips never played AFLW in her prime. She was over 30 when the Womens comp came in.
Well we know that, just as we know that being injury-free shouldn't be taken for granted.

Phillips did her ACL at age 21, and then had numerous other knee issues, while playing a much less physical sport. It's not likely she would've been less injury prone while playing football, and we don't know what toll that would've taken on her.

Certainly she hasn't been the same player since doing another ACL in her 22nd AFLW game. Likewise Pearce wasn't the same player after her 14th AFLW game/maternity leave.

Definitely the clear top two. Agreed that it's a close call. If Erin had been playing women's footy prior to AFLW there's a fair chance she'd have a record similar to Daisy's at that level.

As dominant as Phillips has been, she's honestly never been quite as good since 2019 (and her 2018 was shaky too). I think her 2017 and 2019 seasons were head and shoulders above anything Daisy has managed. Her 2017 grand final is still the best individual performance I've ever seen in AFLW, she was absolutely enormous. 28 touches (26 kicks), 7 marks, 7 tackles, 6 clearances, 11 inside 50s, and 2 goals. Just a phenomenal performance.

In that 2017 season she was simultaneously one of the league's best midfielders, and one of the league's best forwards. Ten goals (behind only Vescio on 14 and Perkins on 11) while averaging 20 touches per game as well (behind only Kearney (21.4), Paxman (21.7), and, yes, Daisy Pearce (21.9)). The only other player that season who was even close to that playing as a combined mid/fwd was Ellie Blackburn (avg 19.4 disposals, and 6 goals from one less game than Phillips).

Her 2019 season was fantastic as well. I agree that Hatchard should have won the best player for the 2019 grand final, but it's a close thing. Phillips was the dominant player on the ground before she got injured, and after her injury there was literally not another goal kicked by either side for the rest of the match. It was a dead contest at that point, ten goals to two, and both sides just put the cue in the rack.

By contrast, Daisy has been much more consistant than Phillips, even as the competition has improved year on year, and even as she has had to play multiple different roles for the sake of the team.

If we're going with overall impact on women's football as a whole, it's got to be Daisy. Phillips could have done it, but Daisy actually did it. If we're going with who has been the better player at the top level, I'm going with Phillips, just. I'll say this, though - take either Phillips or Daisy out of their sides, and you can subtract at least one premiership from both of them (probably two from the Crows). The Crows wouldn't have gotten near the premiership (or even the grand final) without Phillips in 2017, and probably lose the grand final in 2022 without her as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, commenting on Phillips' 2017 grand final performance got me thinking. What is the consensus on the best ever AFLW grand final performance?

If we limit it just to the players who have won the best on ground award, here are the stats:

2017 (Erin Phillips): 28 disposals (26K, 2H), 7M, 7T, scored 2.2
2018 (Monique Conti): 13 disposals (9K, 4H), 0M, 1T, scored 1.0
2019 (Erin Phillips): 18 disposals (15K, 3H), 3M, 4T, scored 2.0
2021 (Kate Lutkins): 18 disposals (16K, 2H), 6M, 2T, scored 0.0
2022A (Anne Hatchard): 26 disposals (22K, 4H), 9M, 6T, scored 0.1
2022B (Shannon Campbell): 19 disposals (17K, 2H), 8M, 2T, scored 0.0

Obviously stats aren't everything, but I still think Erin in 2017 is the gold standard for grand final performances. Lutkins in 2021 a close second.

Last edited:
Just for those who don't know/recall, the dealio with the 2019 GF BOG was that one nincompoop put Davey ahead of Hatchard in his votes.

In such a drubbing, ya gotta give the 3 and 2 to the winning team, which would've changed the result.

It wasn't a situation where Phillips or some other player was visually mistaken for Hatchard, and nabbed votes that way. Stories for another time.

Pearce is a bit overrated due to the trailblazing nature of her career.

She was front and centre for everything, and campaigned hard for a women's league.

Phillips on the other hand blended into the background due to focus on other sports

wow that's pretty bad - didn't realise that

Yeah, they were the only one to vote for Davey as well.

Josh Vanderloo: 3. Hatchard, 2. Phillips, 1. Randall
Brett Munro: 3. Phillips, 2. Davey, 1. Hatchard
Mark Soderstrom: 3. Hatchard, 2. Phillips, 1. J. Foley
Liz Walsh: 3. J. Foley, 2. Hatchard, 3. Phillips
Jo Wotton: 3. Phillips, 2. Randall, 1. Hatchard

Final tally:

11 votes - Phillips
10 votes - Hatchard
4 votes - J. Foley
3 votes - Randall
2 votes - Davey

Brianna Davey had a fine game (22 touches and a goal) but even so, I agree that she didn't belong ahead of Hatchard (23 touches and a goal) given how one-sided the game was. On the other hand, fancy Liz Walsh voting Jess Foley as BOG! She was good, but come on.

All five people had both Hatchard and Phillips in their votes, and three of them had Hatchard ahead. Crazy that she somehow ended up behind!

Bit early to tell but my guess would be the same result in the long term
Long term as in once Daisy leaves Geelong to coach Melbourne, but definitely not before then!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back