Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The FFA has lost its $15,000,000 (3 years @ $5,000,000 pa) sponsorship from Aldi. It sponsored the soccer Miniroos "Play A Safe Sport" program (similar to Auskick, but Miniroos start at 4 y.o.)
Caltex & NAB have also announced they are not renewing their sponsorship in 2020.

Hyundai, major sponsor of the A League, has a contract which expires in May 2020. It is not known if it will renew, but the floundering appeal of the A League may be ominous for the FFA.

The Lowy family warned the A League clubs they would jeopardise their corporate support, if the A League clubs were successful in gaining independence from the FFA.

It has been reported that the A League clubs are unwilling to risk formal/legal independence from the FFA until the current Foxtel agreement ends in 3 1/2 years- as they fear that Foxtel would have legal grounds, & would be likely, to immediately terminate its Rights' agreement. Foxtel is losing a considerable amount, due to the A League's paltry ratings.

A-League bench officials, in Brisbane at least, are sponsored by MatchWorks a recruitment company that does stuff Centrelink used to. Dreg sponsors.

I could never understand how they let the Broncos have sole ownership of Brisbane for so long. Imagine in the AFL a market the size of Perth and Adelaide combined given to just one team. It's ridiculous.

Broncos owned by News Corp.

Last edited:

The A-league is an AFC compeetition.

Is it really? UEFA don't dictate Premier League rules. Clubs only affected when they get to UEFA competition.

Wellington Phoenix are known as not a AFC club (New Zealand is OFC) but doesn't stop them playing in the A-League.

Unless Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City and Western United are all playing in the same AFC Champions League season, using the same ground seems a non-issue. And if it became an issue they'd move one of them for that AFC Champions League season (Western United or whoever qualified lowest).

Last edited:

2. WWOS Panel B. Fittler P. Stirling D. Lockyer E. Moylan 1.9.19

E. Moylan "...there's not really enough talent to expand (beyond 16 teams- my words), that's been said by Andrew Johns and plenty of commentators...". Go to 20 seconds - 32 seconds.

RL legend P. Stirling agrees with the widely held view that the NRL should not expand beyond 16 teams in the near future (due to the drop in quality of NRL matches that would probably occur, caused by the long term decline in RL male contact player nos.). Go to 24-60 seconds mark.

B. Fittler believes Cronulla should relocate to Perth, Manly to Central Coast, due to their underperformance; & Titans should relocate to Brisbane. This suggests NRL under performance by these Sydney teams; & long term problems for the Titans, on and off-field. Go to 2 minutes 10 seconds - 2 mins. 55 seconds.

D. Lockyer, a Broncos director, said it is inevitable that Brisbane will get a 2nd NRL team; & that "...the Titans are a prime candidate for relocation to Brisbane".

ARLC Chairman P. V'landys said in Dc. 2019 he was against any forcible relocations of any Sydney or Qld teams. Many RL experts believe the NRL can, & should, expand to 17 or 18 teams.

3. WWOS V. Vlotis 2.8.18

A. Johns want to slash the number of Sydney teams, add an extra team in Qld. (Brisbane or Rockhampton), & probably Wellington.

Johns want the NRL to become a 12 team comp. only, because the current quality of games, on average, is inadequate- not enough talented players for more than 12 teams.

Can anyone imagine a Melbourne based show exhibiting this sort of honesty?

Mate you need to listen to the mainstream media more, it is constantly brought up. If we do ever see expansion again then it will be just about the biggest issue spoken about.

So I'm wrong that are those keen to have more teams to add fairness to the home & away FIXturing, another team in Tas.
The chorus to prune the number of teams (as A. Johns suggested), its deafening or one of us (you & I ) is deaf.
So wh in the mainstream is calling to prune teams?

A. Johns want to slash the number of Sydney teams, add an extra team in Qld. (Brisbane or Rockhampton), & probably Wellington.

Johns want the NRL to become a 12 team comp. only, because the current quality of games, on average, is inadequate- not enough talented players for more than 12 teams.

1. Is WU considering permanently leaving Geelong & Ballarat- to relocate to Footscray's Whitten Oval- to prevent Fox having a "legal out" on an extra $5,000,000 pa Rights' payment (which should start in July 2021)?

2. Some interesting arguments for Sydney NRL clubs to play more games at their traditional Sydney home grounds.

Also, former North Sydney NRL President David Hill (& ex NSL & ABC Chairman) says when he played junior & Grade RL with Norths in Sydney (in the 60's & 70's), there would have been about 50 jnr RL teams on the Lower North Shore, south of Willoughby- now there are none (due to the departure there of its working class, pro RL demographic).

He also said

" The NRL is competing with the AFL, which has 2 teams in every mainland state, and they're losing the battle"
(but P. V'landys, new ARLC Chairman, has recently said he is opposed to adding a team in Perth: NRL would "waste of money in AFL heartlands).

Last edited:
1. Is WU considering permanently leaving Geelong & Ballarat- to relocate to Footscray's Whitten Oval- to prevent Fox having a "legal out" on an extra $5,000,000 pa Rights' payment (which should start in July 2021)?

2. Some interesting arguments for Sydney NRL clubs to play more games at their traditional Sydney home grounds.

Also, former North Sydney NRL President David Hil (&ex NSL Chairman) says when he played junior & Grade RL with Norths in Sydney (in the 60's & 70's), there would have been about 50 jnr RL teams on the Lower North Shore, south of Willoughby- now there are none (due to the departure there of its working class, pro RL demographic).

He also said

" The NRL is competing with the AFL, which has 2 teams in every mainland state, and they're losing the battle"
(but P. V'landys, new ARLC Chairman, has recently said he is opposed to adding a team in Perth: NRL "waste of money in AFL heartlands)).

That the AFL has a huge advantage having at lest 2 teams in each mainland state, doesn't mean that the NRL can simply follow suit. That they need a team in Perth doesn't mean putting 1 in Perth would work.

NRL has wanted to follow the AFL's lead for a while in terms of ground rationalisation, which we see everywhere in the AFL, except interestingly, in the two non-AFL states!
The thing is NRL fans feel much more strongly about the old suburban grounds than did AFL fans (although there was plenty of opposition there as well, I guess the VFL/AFL did it gradually over a very long period, and some clubs had to move out of necessity, or were just told to do it).
In the case of the NRL, so few attend games to begin with, so you can't upset the few who are atending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL has wanted to follow the AFL's lead for a while in terms of ground rationalisation, which we see everywhere in the AFL, except interestingly, in the two non-AFL states!
The thing is NRL fans feel much more strongly about the old suburban grounds than did AFL fans (although there was plenty of opposition there as well, I guess the VFL/AFL did it gradually over a very long period, and some clubs had to move out of necessity, or were just told to do it).
In the case of the NRL, so few attend games to begin with, so you can't upset the few who are atending.

The truth is the NRL,RU and Soccer dont need a massive stadium for normal home and away matches due the their much smaller crowds.
Even the new 45 K stadium at Moore Park will be way too big for 90% of games and thats why they wanted to have a curtain to hide all the empty seats.

The truth is the NRL,RU and Soccer dont need a massive stadium for normal home and away matches due the their much smaller crowds.
Even the new 45 K stadium at Moore Park will be way too big for 90% of games and thats why they wanted to have a curtain to hide all the empty seats.
It’s ridiculous that they will have two stadiums over 45,000 in that city with the crowds they pull

It’s ridiculous that they will have two stadiums over 45,000 in that city with the crowds they pull

It’s ridiculous that a city of that size struggles to get anywhere near filling a stadium of 45,000.

Not sure that’s true. Collingwood fans (myself included) were extremely passionate about Victoria Park, for example, but it was much easier to move away because we knew that we had far exceeded the capacity of the ground.

I can understand the difficult position for those NRL clubs. By and large they don’t get big enough crowds to justify abandoning their historical homes but if they don’t move away how will they ever grow?

It’s ridiculous that a city of that size struggles to get anywhere near filling a stadium of 45,000.

Not sure that’s true. Collingwood fans (myself included) were extremely passionate about Victoria Park, for example, but it was much easier to move away because we knew that we had far exceeded the capacity of the ground.

I can understand the difficult position for those NRL clubs. By and large they don’t get big enough crowds to justify abandoning their historical homes but if they don’t move away how will they ever grow?

Vic Park should have been kept and upgraded and used 3/4 times a year for AFL games and more for womens, VFL etc.

They could have upped the entry price, fans would have payed and the club could/should have backed the local business community around Vic Park which would have been reciprocated.

Vic Park should have been kept and upgraded and used 3/4 times a year for AFL games and more for womens, VFL etc.

They could have upped the entry price, fans would have payed and the club could/should have backed the local business community around Vic Park which would have been reciprocated.
The Collingwood VFL and AFLW teams do play at Victoria Park

Pretty much impossible to upgrade sufficiently given its location and the state of the stadium itself. The ground also controlled by a council which has a history of conflict with the club.

We are also capable of getting 50k hosting almost every team. Locking fans out of the game goes very contrary to the ethos of the club.

I still feel the pangs of nostalgia whenever I go near the ground but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the right decision was made to leave completely.

Pretty much impossible to upgrade sufficiently given its location and the state of the stadium itself. The ground also controlled by a council which has a history of conflict with the club.

We are also capable of getting 50k hosting almost every team. Locking fans out of the game goes very contrary to the ethos of the club.

I still feel the pangs of nostalgia whenever I go near the ground but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the right decision was made to leave completely.

I am aware of the council, the inner city greens who seem to control bush fire management!.

Its a real pity IMO, fantastic location that always provide a great atmosphere with a backdrop of the period houses and pubs, pity they couldn't get freehold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back