Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

God ten years ago it would’ve been unimaginable to think Victory would only pull 17k to a game against Sydney

The national TV rating for this match in Friday night prime time between these two biggest and most successful A-League teams was also 17k. o_O

Last edited:

God ten years ago it would’ve been unimaginable to think Victory would only pull 17k to a game against Sydney

Yes, it’s the second lowest Victory home game against Sydney ever, just a few hundred ahead of one during the 2010/11 season.

Former Matilda Joey Peters "one of the greatest Matildas of all time" is advocating for the A League to be, essentially, dismantled- to become a development league only, & work more closely with the NPL.

Also, "She spoke to us in the wake of the exodus of australian players to Europe, frustrated at the departure of W League talent while the League appears at risk of entering a decline".

Strewth!

Re A League viewers switching to Kayo instead (from Foxtel), Foxtel A League ratings were well down also in previous years; for the start of the 2018/19 season- ie even before Kayo started in Nov. 2018

Last edited:
So 17k at the game, and 17k in TV ratings, that 1:1 ratio must be very close to some sort of record.
Sub 20k for WU vs Adelaide too.

The governing body would be hoping that a whole heap of previous fox viewers have migrated to kayo or my football app because at these numbers fox would only offer a heavy discount for the next rights deal.

Former Matilda Joey Peters "one of the greatest Matildas of all time" is advocating for the A League to be, essentially, dismantled- to become a development league only, & work more closely with the NPL.

" She spoke to us in the wake of the exodus of australian players to Europe, frustrated at the departure of W League talent while the League appears at risk of entering a decline".

Strewth!

Re A League viewers switching to Kayo instead (from Foxtel), Foxtel ratings were well down (for the start of the 2018/19 season) even before Kayo started in Nov. 2018
A thought experiment to highlight the W league and Matilda's rather than a genuine suggestion.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The national TV rating for this match in Friday night prime time between these two biggest and most successful A-League teams was also 17k. o_O
So 17k at the game, and 17k in TV ratings, that 1:1 ratio must be very close to some sort of record.

Are there any links to this 17k number? The_Wookie might be able to help. I only ask because the City V Glory match was mentioned also at 17k in another thread, might be a mix up.
That does seem pretty piss poor for a big blue match wouldn’t surprise me if it is correct through knowing how poor the A-League is going. But the ratio as Gigantor mentioned does seem quiet not right.

ahaha wow, so some former Matilda wants the A-League to get no funding and the W-League to be the marquee promotional tool in growing the sport? absolutely no chance. what a moron. women's football gets it government funding as does men's hockey and swimming. you really think people are going to go to W-League matches and pay 25 bucks for the privilege? what a gag.

The A-League doesn't help itself.

Not a single game on today. it's a public holiday. * me.

They also didn't schedule a match on New Year's Day or something like that as well.

At this time of year when there's the Australian Open and risk of a Kyrgios/Barty going well, they should schedule most matches in the secondary markets where there's less to do. Central Coast have a rusted-on core of about 6000 and it doesn't fluctuate much, whereas Sydney FC are very culpable to fluctuations and those ones are more harmful.

The A-League doesn't help itself.

Not a single game on today. it's a public holiday. fu** me.

They also didn't schedule a match on New Year's Day or something like that as well.

At this time of year when there's the Australian Open and risk of a Kyrgios/Barty going well, they should schedule most matches in the secondary markets where there's less to do. Central Coast have a rusted-on core of about 6000 and it doesn't fluctuate much, whereas Sydney FC are very culpable to fluctuations and those ones are more harmful.

There was a match on New Year’s Day this season but none on Boxing day.

The A-League or FFA can schedule as many matches as they want this time of year but it wouldn’t make a rats ass of difference. The problems lie deeper than just scheduling.

There was a match on New Year’s Day this season but none on Boxing day.

The A-League or FFA can schedule as many matches as they want this time of year but it wouldn’t make a rats ass of difference. The problems lie deeper than just scheduling.
Scheduling is an issue, the comp needs to think outside the box. there's a bit of a cult following in the UK with it. specifically young blokes who love betting on it (high scoring, lots of corners) and the time zone helps. we should be latching onto that a bit more. maybe even trying to schedule matches that'll be on during their 3pm black out zone.

I've said it before but it should essentially be a development league with a few solid international players, who should be lured out here on the proviso of a unique adventure in an English speaking country where it's hot but the lifestyle is similar but improved. I'd have 16 teams working on lower budgets. I don't really think there's a shame in a club being based at say Western Oval or North Sydney Oval. there's nothing wrong with a boutique, grass-roots feeling elite competition. it's a point of difference if anything.

Clubs still operate under this idea they're a top level entertainment format. they aren't. Sydney FC, Western Sydney, and Melbourne Victory can be those highly marketable clubs aiming for 20,000 every week but there's also no shame in having a heap of clubs like the Mariners. their issue is they think they're bigger than they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any links to this 17k number? The_Wookie might be able to help. I only ask because the City V Glory match was mentioned also at 17k in another thread, might be a mix up.
That does seem pretty piss poor for a big blue match wouldn’t surprise me if it is correct through knowing how poor the A-League is going. But the ratio as Gigantor mentioned does seem quiet not right.

Less than NZ v India T20 but at least they beat the NBL.

Any Fox data outside the Top 20 is pretty much only released by Mediaweek. No one else releases it.

Scheduling is an issue, the comp needs to think outside the box. there's a bit of a cult following in the UK with it. specifically young blokes who love betting on it (high scoring, lots of corners) and the time zone helps. we should be latching onto that a bit more. maybe even trying to schedule matches that'll be on during their 3pm black out zone.

I've said it before but it should essentially be a development league with a few solid international players, who should be lured out here on the proviso of a unique adventure in an English speaking country where it's hot but the lifestyle is similar but improved. I'd have 16 teams working on lower budgets. I don't really think there's a shame in a club being based at say Western Oval or North Sydney Oval. there's nothing wrong with a boutique, grass-roots feeling elite competition. it's a point of difference if anything.

Clubs still operate under this idea they're a top level entertainment format. they aren't. Sydney FC, Western Sydney, and Melbourne Victory can be those highly marketable clubs aiming for 20,000 every week but there's also no shame in having a heap of clubs like the Mariners. their issue is they think they're bigger than they are.

This is the contradiction at the heart of why the A League is in so much trouble and little prospect of changing its situation. Why would anyone support a soccer franchise in this country that has no prospect of winning?

It is pure fantasy that small franchises are going to crop up and survive with a "boutique, grass roots feeling". Small clubs in europe that survive bouncing around lower professional divisions have 100 plus years history in countries where soccer sits at the heart of the sporting culture. The only Australian soccer clubs with any history are the old NSL clubs that were started as immigrant social clubs. It is probably too late to let them back in.

The A league was started based on a model of competitive balance (similar to successful Australian and American sporting leagues). It has inched away from that despite maintaining a salary cap. Giving up the salary cap completely would almost certainly finish the A League off over time.

Sydney FC have been the dominant team for the last few years and yet their attendances are a fraction of the Swans in a year they finished 14th....in a city where half the soccer participants are and that apparently has no interest in Australian football. It is hard to see in what way they are or could be "highly marketable".

It is funny that you would put forward North Sydney oval. There was of course a team that played there in the last years of the NSL. The Northern Spirit followed the trajectory of every other franchise - significant novelty support early followed by either falling away to much lower ongoing support or a fizzling out completely. They start off with a lot of energy and good numbers....but then the numbers drop away with the novelty and you are left with a hard core who take it way too seriously and become a turn off to others.

The current model at least allows for moments in the sun for the franchises (outside of the three you mentioned that can be "highly marketable") to pack out Adelaide oval or Perth Stadium for a grand final once or twice a decade. Without that those franchises are even more irrelevant to cities that have AFL clubs playing in an equalised competition of far far high gravitas that they have as good a chance as any other club of winning over time - clubs filling up Perth Stadium and Adelaide oval every week.

Australian socccer has picked its course and that course is franchise league that treads water in a mostly equalised competition.

I can understand the difficult position for those NRL clubs. By and large they don’t get big enough crowds to justify abandoning their historical homes but if they don’t move away how will they ever grow?

NRL crowds probably won't grow now you can watch all the games live at home. Once a certain generation start dying off they and the AFL will need to cut ticket prices if they want to maintain the attendance.

A-League peaked years ago and it won't get back that. Superior leagues are too accessible to watch on-demand with Kayo and Optus etc. Not sure how much the NBL makes but that's Australian soccer's reality besides the Socceroos. People were chuffed when the FFA gave control to the clubs but I'm not sure what they expect that to bring. Off to a fizzer with the clubs deciding they just wouldn't do advertising this season (FFA used to pay for it).

A-League peaked years ago and it won't get back that. Superior leagues are too accessible to watch on-demand with Kayo and Optus etc. Not sure how much the NBL makes but that's Australian soccer's reality besides the Socceroos. People were chuffed when the FFA gave control to the clubs but I'm not sure what they expect that to bring. Off to a fizzer with the clubs deciding they just wouldn't do advertising this season (FFA used to pay for it).

I think calling them "clubs" is part of the problem. They are franchisees who purchased a franchise from a competition seed funded by the tax payer. They (apparently led by city group) then managed to convince many of the dwindling supporters and water carriers in the media that handing over control of the competition they willingly bought in to under different terms was for the good of the game. These are people that don't really do critical thought, and so were allured by the idea that, if only things more resembled the governance of the game in England, the game would explode.

Now they are like the dog that caught the car. Apparently they've put off "taking control" now until the end of the foxtel deal given the latter is looking at any opportunity to release itself from its contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back