Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Will ask the same question I asked Jeremias...

If McKay was fit and ready, what would your forward line look like then

Add in Harry, take out the 'lowest rated' of the 6 guys I mentioned. Could be Casboult, JSOS or Kennedy - depending on your rankings.

I'd rank TDK below those guys for round 1 impact. And I'd be happy with the forward line balance swapping any of those for Harry.

Add in Harry, take out the 'lowest rated' of the 6 guys I mentioned. Could be Casboult, JSOS or Kennedy - depending on your rankings.

I'd rank TDK below those guys for round 1 impact. And I'd be happy with the forward line balance swapping any of those for Harry.

Okay, best available rather than a specific structure

I’m pretty happy to go agile/versatile/pressure in the forward line.

tDK is just not ready for a key forward role. Hewould have no impact offensively and be run off defensively.

kennedy, sOS MVg and Crippa can provide enough aerial presence alongside casboult.

levj is super fit. I expect him to lead down the ground A LOT and be that outlet guy.

the others can create one on one nuisances of themselves

watch out for kennedy btw. You read it here first. Watch out now.

I have a diffenrt take Bowan

Our backline best side has one 4th year (sps)
Our best forward line has no 1-4 year players
Our Mids have setters (a 4th year) and Walsh (who is really 25.)

our side won 6/10 before the rubbish Cats game.

it COULD be closer than you think. And the fact it COULD be argues for conservAtive selection until things are more clear.

it’s very possible we could get in a run later in the year and make finals. I don’t want to miss that by a game because we got games into TDk.

it’s closer than you think. Trust me.

when jimmae said tdk looks like a chf, I said it a split second later...........just coincidence............
If jimmae says TDK is a chf, then TDK is a ****ing chf!!!

fwiw, I think that TDK will be a key forward with a role in our ruck division. He knows where the sausage rolls are....

If jimmae says TDK is a chf, then TDK is a ****ing chf!!!

fwiw, I think that TDK will be a key forward with a role in our ruck division. He knows where the sausage rolls are....

yep, career total = 1

What happens when Kreuzer rests and Levi rucks?
People argue that Kennedy can go into the middle, but TDK adds the rucking flexibility.
It is also insurance for the loss of a tall anywhere on the ground - Levi covers the loss - TDK is still a tall target.

Lots of options.

Martin - Gov - Cuningham
Betts - Kennedy - Kreuzer/Jack/...

2-3 talls may look best on paper, but it is often the more unconventional setups that are most effective.

I don't mind that forward setup at all, but, if Mckay was fit how would you select that forwardline?

Kennedy misses out.

HF: Cuningham - McKay - Martin
F: Betts - Casboult - McGover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked for Bolts lol

It doesn't matter for what worked or didn't work for another at the time. It's about what will work now.

TDK will get games this year and yes...he's still somewhat gangly, but the fitness base has increased and the drive has always been there.

In fact I'd love to see McKay play with the intent TDK has.

Not sure why you think that isn’t a forward structure?
If we are debating an extra tall vs an extra mid, I will almost always go the extra midfield option.

You can overpower teams with height, but I don't think we see that anywhere near as often as one team being too strong for the other in the midfield. And more often than not that'll come about because you've got better - or simply more - midfield rotations.

With the players you have put forward and the roles they play, TDK is competi
ng with Levi for a spot, rather than with Kennedy. Levi gets the nod there.

Martin - Levi - Cuningham
Betts - Kennedy - McGovern

Go in with the extra tall and Richmond will simply run us off our feet.
Kennedy misses out.

HF: Cuningham - McKay - Martin
F: Betts - Casboult - McGover

Because it's clear you have gone best available over structure and somewhat contradicts your line about Richmond running us off our feet if we had TDK in instead of Kennedy in the first option, yet McKay would get the nod over Kennedy in the second option

TDK is just as agile as McKay

What’s better though? A structured 22 or fitting your best 20 odd players into a team?

I’d probably plump for the latter but it’s a decent conversation...
It is a decent conversation - there is no definitive right or wrong, and the answer could be different from week to week.
I'm in the "structured 22" category IF there is genuine replacement for a missing component.
With Harry missing I can't know if TDK is definitely ready or not, but:
He played 2 games 2 years ago.
Hopefully it would only be short term, so he wouldn't get banged up too much.
Not sure how Nana Purvis is going, but I think he was struggling with an injury? This would give our rucks an "easier" time of it. If TDK provided ruck relief, it would enable Levi to stay forward, providing a constant aerial threat (as opposed to Levi having to ruck).
Any injury to a Jones, Weiters, Kreuze can be covered and still maintain a tall forward presence, and ruck relief.
The argument about being intimidated by crowd size (Blue Balls) can go either way - Richmond wouldn't have selected Pickett if this mattered.
Kennedy can still play as the 7th forward - it just means that JSOS probably can't. I'm picking Kennedy above Jack, as he is a better kick for goal and based on the reports from those watching training.

It doesn't matter for what worked or didn't work for another at the time. It's about what will work now.

TDK will get games this year and yes...he's still somewhat gangly, but the fitness base has increased and the drive has always been there.

In fact I'd love to see McKay play with the intent TDK has.

TDK won't work for round 1...I know that. Grimes and co would have a field day. Too raw and needs time.

Has nothing to do with height, only mobility

Same pace/speed/agility, I would always take the taller option
Agility is the key word mentioned here. Taller guys often have tremendous straight line pace but not always commensurate agility. Slippery forwards can cause them problems. The best example is Frost, now at Hawthorn. He has frightening speed but evasive forwards often cause taller defenders problems regardless of pure speed comparisons. I’m not saying our tall defenders don’t have the required agility, they are actually very good in that regard but a lower centre of gravity is an advantage in terms of quick lateral movement if all other factors are equal. IMO. Apologies if this has been covered, just catching up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back