Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

'cept...if it's bone on bone he will never fully recover.
Docs look like they've said: "You can't make it any worse, if you can stand the pain we'll replace it in the end"
Blokes have done it before him so, good luck to the lad. Don't expect him to jump too high if it's his take off leg. Or kick too much if its his kicking leg.

Poor kid, he's only mid twenties!

think Brereton had this issue by 24. Mind you, he was done at 28.

Hopefully he starts by coming out on the track tomorrow. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Been doing a lot of walking so you'd think they'd have some idea if he's ready to actually start running now that he's got the all clear from the surgeon.

Been doing a lot of walking so you'd think they'd have some idea if he's ready to actually start running now that he's got the all clear from the surgeon.
Likely to be trial and error. You never really know how your body will cope until you put it under the extra stress and there is a fair bit of difference in terms of jarring between running and walking.

Likely to be trial and error. You never really know how your body will cope until you put it under the extra stress and there is a fair bit of difference in terms of jarring between running and walking.

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on how that walking might translate to running, just his preparedness to start that aspect.

Is there any other club who has consistently lost top ten players for such extraordinary lengths of time (either through injury , personal issues or rule breaking) on such a regular basis over the years? Maybe there is and I am simply too Collingwood centric. I don't think this is the case but I'm happy to be corrected.

Is there any other club who has consistently lost top ten players for such extraordinary lengths of time (either through injury , personal issues or rule breaking) on such a regular basis over the years? Maybe there is and I am simply too Collingwood centric. I don't think this is the case but I'm happy to be corrected.
Gold Coast are way worse.

i tend to think we over rate these things at the Pies, doesnt mean we haven't made mistakes but we are not "unluckier" than other clubs.

When did Langdon become a top 10 player?

When did Langdon become a top 10 player?

Gee, post his 2018 season and finals performances, he'd have to be in the discussion wouldn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, post his 2018 season and finals performances, he'd have to be in the discussion wouldn't he?
I’d have him only just outside to be fair, but I also have guys like Moore and Maynard who will pass him very soon anyway who’d push him further back in my view.

Did about an hour of running today. Looked a bit proppy but not unexpected as it’s the first time running in half a year. But then heard Pendles say it’s bone on bone which is what it’s reported. Least he is running. Small steps. If anything if he can get to playing again he will have to be managed through the rest of his career. Quite unfortunate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well we should have some idea by about rd 8 to rd 10 whether he can get back to playing or not,certainly hope so as I feel he has been a good player for the club from the start and if all things were equal he would be coming into his prime yrs.

It is only in recent yrs that he has had any support down back,he is 1 bloke you would hope would have a bit of luck.

I’d have him only just outside to be fair, but I also have guys like Moore and Maynard who will pass him very soon anyway who’d push him further back in my view.

In a defence as good as ours that's no mean feat.

In 2018 Langdon established himself as a very important player in our team. Top 10 is subjective and a different argument but I think it's fair to say that if he was fit he'd be playing, and we'd be a better side with a stronger defensive unit for it.

I agree that Moore is an even better intercept mark but imagine having both.

In 2018 Langdon established himself as a very important player in our team. Top 10 is subjective and a different argument but I think it's fair to say that if he was fit he'd be playing, and we'd be a better side with a stronger defensive unit for it.

hopefully Shaz steps into the role and doesn’t look back. I’m still very bullish on Shaz.

Did about an hour of running today. Looked a bit proppy but not unexpected as it’s the first time running in half a year. But then heard Pendles say it’s bone on bone which is what it’s reported. Least he is running. Small steps. If anything if he can get to playing again he will have to be managed through the rest of his career. Quite unfortunate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just seeing him out there today was fantastic. Doesn't matter that he didn't do much.

Langdon was indeed very good in 2018. I tend to look at the fact though, that Scharenberg was just as good in the period before he got injured again, and he was coming from a lot further back than Langdon. Yes, he is was/is an important cog in our defence, but not irreplaceable, and certainly not a top 10 player at the club. If he had better decision making and disposal then he’d be thereabouts because his defensive work is almost second to none, but people seem to forget the regular howlers he made which is commonplace when a player has been out for an extended period.

Like so many players the myth that is Tom Langdon grows with each game he misses! In the past 4 seasons he’s played 48 of a possible 94 and 23 of those came in 2018 plus he’s clearly going to miss the first 6-8 in this year. There is no way is he a top 10 player at Collingwood. He had a top 10 season in 2018 and that’s it.

Like so many players the myth that is Tom Langdon grows with each game he misses! In the past 4 seasons he’s played 48 of a possible 94 and 23 of those came in 2018 plus he’s clearly going to miss the first 6-8 in this year. There is no way is he a top 10 player at Collingwood. He had a top 10 season in 2018 and that’s it.

Much like how the myths that Langdon was slow, gets run down, and a poor user of the footy got their inception....

In relation to the top 10, the question was "when did Langdon become a top 10 player", and as you yourself have indicated, he was certainly in that discussion in 2018.

Langdon was indeed very good in 2018. I tend to look at the fact though, that Scharenberg was just as good in the period before he got injured again, and he was coming from a lot further back than Langdon. Yes, he is was/is an important cog in our defence, but not irreplaceable, and certainly not a top 10 player at the club. If he had better decision making and disposal then he’d be thereabouts because his defensive work is almost second to none, but people seem to forget the regular howlers he made which is commonplace when a player has been out for an extended period.

His "howlers" were no worse or any more prolific than those of other regular defenders like Howe, Crisp, or Maynard or in days gone by players like Heater or Lumumba... Yet it's a tag people are all too happy to tar him with relative to all those others.

Much like how the myths that Langdon was slow, gets run down, and a poor user of the footy got their inception....

In relation to the top 10, the question was "when did Langdon become a top 10 player", and as you yourself have indicated, he was certainly in that discussion in 2018.

Myths? They’ve all been flaws in his game at one time or another. Although the lack of speed and getting caught from behind were more about a lack of urgency 👍

Consistency, longevity and durability are key to being a top player at an AFL club and he doesn’t fit that criteria at all so he isn’t in that discussion. No matter how out of the box his 2018 was.

FWIW I’ve got him roughly 15 until he proves he can get on the field consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back