Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. Not much like Mumford at all.
The player that reminded me of Mumford was someone who never played AFL but was under our nose - Nick Meese.
If Nick was a few centimetres taller, things may have been a little different for him. Absolute brute of a player but 197cm and not particularly athletic...

Who does he remind you of then

Who does he remind you of then

Haven't given it any thought, but I always saw Mumford in Nick Meese....so to speak.
On the sample size I saw in the one game, I didn't get any Mumford vibes and McEvoy does resonate but maybe that's just a Hawthorn thing.
I don't recall him from his junior days though but I know he doesn't mind playing hard. Haven't seen any VFL games he played in either.

I do though see Alan Didak in Honey on the sample size.
That may change and it may not and not every player has to remind one of someone else. Some players are somewhat hard to pigeon-hole.

Haven't given it any thought, but I always saw Mumford in Nick Meese....so to speak.
On the sample size I saw in the one game, I didn't get any Mumford vibes and McEvoy does resonate but maybe that's just a Hawthorn thing.
I don't recall him from his junior days though but I know he doesn't mind playing hard. Haven't seen any VFL games he played in either.

I do though see Alan Didak in Honey on the sample size.
That may change and it may not and not every player has to remind one of someone else. Some players are somewhat hard to pigeon-hole.

I don't see Pittonet like McEvoy, who is actually a very good threat as a resting forward and an elite kick at goal. Nor do I see Nankervis, who also is a threat at times

Pittonet is a banger, in the Mumford style

Honey like Didak? Don't see it. Honey's attributes reminds me of Zac Jones. Quick aggressive runner, but very inconsistent by foot, sometimes elite, other times a paddock.Their kicking style is almost identical

A well known recruiter once said, if a draftee doesn't remind you of a current/past player, they are probably not going to make it at the next level

I don't see Pittonet like McEvoy, who is actually a very good threat as a resting forward and an elite kick at goal. Nor do I see Nankervis, who also is a threat at times Pittonet is a banger, in the Mumford style
Honey like Didak? Don't see it. Honey's attributes reminds me of Zac Jones. Quick aggressive runner, but very inconsistent by foot, sometimes elite, other times a paddock.Their kicking style is almost identical
A well known recruiter once said, if a draftee doesn't remind you of a current/past player, they are probably not going to make it at the next level

I've heard that said but can't recall who said it.
Who's CCurnow like? Who was Kouta like? One can always place a name on a head, but it may not always fit. Still, it's fun doing so.

Re. Pittonet; I probably shouldn't have made my statement definitive, because I was only basing it on the one game last week.
I try to look at the whole package and that includes frame, size, ability, playing style, running gait etc etc. Maybe he will be like Mumford but again, my viewing sample size is way too small.

Re. Honey; Again, sample size small but Didak was the player that came to mind....it doesn't mean that's right, but the movement, size, agility, burst, kick etc seemed at least comparable on the few outings I've seen him in.

EDIT: Just checked on Honey and Didaks stats - 184 & 85 exactly the same currently. :)

I had to go here to find Honeys physical stats, as somehow our website doesn't afford them but I have to highlight this, written about him -
If you are watching Honey for the first time, you immediately notice he has that presence that few do.

This is true. He does have presence, even without ball in hand.
It's quite a good write up on him, actually.

Who's CCurnow like? Who was Kouta like? One can always place a name on a head, but it may not always fit. Still, it's fun doing so.

Re. Pittonet; I probably shouldn't have made my statement definitive, because I was only basing it on the one game last week.
I try to look at the whole package and that includes frame, size, ability, playing style, running gait etc etc. Maybe he will be like Mumford but again, my viewing sample size is way too small.

Re. Honey; Again, sample size small but Didak was the player that came to mind....it doesn't mean that's right, but the movement, size, agility, burst, kick etc seemed at least comparable on the few outings I've seen him in.

EDIT: Just checked on Honey and Didaks stats - 184 & 85 exactly the same currently. :)
I can see the Didak comparison... Papley is closer to the mark imo, but then Papley and Didak share a lot of similarities.

Curnow has a little Gary Snr about him... Kouta was from another planet

Dow and Stocker will be starting center in the VFL. Hopefully pushing hard for selection and racking up good numbers.

What interests me is if Philip and Honey really show hardness, intensity and pace up forward with an ability to tackle and kick a goal and if Cuningham is too irresistible as a midfielder it could change how we line up completely sooner rather than later.

Interesting watching the pies double and triple team Walsh and Crippa, then add in our other developing mid field beasts, Stocker, Setters, Kemp, Dow, etc, etc.
The opposition and going to be struggling to maintain the level of manning up to negate our play makers. They won't have enough taggers.
How sweet it is.
Exciting times ahead baggers

This is where someone like Cuningham or Murphy will be so dangerous around the stoppages. If they get neglected by the opposition they can tear away and hit a forward lace out. A fit and confident Murphy may well benefit from the same latitude he had when Judd was copping all the tags.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

JSilvagni may surprise you this year then, as I've seen some strong aerial work from him this pre-season.

He's not the push-over he was in his first couple of years. Fair lump of a lad....as they say.
Plus the fact JSOS is right up there as our best pressure forward, his tackling inside 50 is elite he locks that ball in every time, and his goal assists are just priceless.

Interesting watching the pies double and triple team Walsh and Crippa, then add in our other developing mid field beasts, Stocker, Setters, Kemp, Dow, etc, etc.
The opposition and going to be struggling to maintain the level of manning up to negate our play makers. They won't have enough taggers.
How sweet it is.
Exciting times ahead baggers 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
The good part about that is that because of Cripps dominance at stoppages the opposition tend to play an extra at the stoppages which allows us the extra down back and with the return of Doc that advantage will be huge this year. 😁👍🏽

Dow and Stocker will be starting center in the VFL. Hopefully pushing hard for selection and racking up good numbers.

What interests me is if Philip and Honey really show hardness, intensity and pace up forward with an ability to tackle and kick a goal and if Cuningham is too irresistible as a midfielder it could change how we line up completely sooner rather than later.
Philp’s defensive work was what really stood out and I think that is what will get him a game at senior level this year, he’s Fraser Brown with speed which is exciting, tackles with intent.

This is where someone like Cuningham or Murphy will be so dangerous around the stoppages. If they get neglected by the opposition they can tear away and hit a forward lace out. A fit and confident Murphy may well benefit from the same latitude he had when Judd was copping all the tags.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Murph can continue to use the ball by foot the way he did under Teague, which was down to Teague getting them training more using the footy and practicing there skills, he will tear teams a new one this year if they let him get out in space. Our skill level under Teague compared to Bolton was chalk and cheese, practice practice practice and then practice some more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If honey can get it as much as didak and then kick it as well as didak we have ourselves the steal of the draft by a country mile imho.

If I remember rightly i thought the afl used Didak’s kicking mechanics as the prototype for draftees.

If honey can get it as much as didak and then kick it as well as didak we have ourselves the steal of the draft by a country mile imho.

If I remember rightly i thought the afl used Didak’s kicking mechanics as the prototype for draftees.

Of course I mean the style rather than the output.
Let's see what comes about as we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet....although Honey does play angry.
Dumped a Collingwood player nicely on Thursday night. :)

Let's see what comes about as we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet....although Honey does play angry.
Dumped a Collingwood player nicely on
Dumped a Collingwood player nicely on Thursday night. :)
Tried to Mostly comment on the reference you made to kick when you made the comparison. If he has didaks kick it will certainly be a weapon.

They did indeed use Didak's kicking technique as a baseline at coaching conferences/clinics

Philp’s defensive work was what really stood out and I think that is what will get him a game at senior level this year, he’s Fraser Brown with speed which is exciting, tackles with intent.

That seems to be the common theme with premiership sides, having guys who can do this at an elite level but still make the most of their opportunities.

That closing speed up forward has been lacking with us. Ball or opposition get lose and we take too long to pounce. That's why I'm happy we left drafting small forward types until late because they can come in in their first and second year and do this and make a big impact.

Honey, Philip and even Ramsay could all come into the side, apply manic pressure, be hard at it and kick a goal a game and be a part of a really good side.

I'll be excited if these guys step up and bring this at a good level.

They did indeed use Didak's kicking technique as a baseline at coaching conferences/clinics

Yeah, it's the turn of the hips that caught my eye the first time I saw him.
Exploded out of a contest agaisnt senior players and then avoided another before heading towards....a coach...but would have been the goals.

...and then he did it again and then once more and I thought; This isn't just blind luck here. he knows what he's doing.

JSilvagni may surprise you this year then, as I've seen some strong aerial work from him this pre-season.

He's not the push-over he was in his first couple of years. Fair lump of a lad....as they say.

Doesn't mind a jump if he gets a run-up, but I don't think he's quite as good when the ball is coming in hard - from my viewing there's a tendency for the ball to shoot straight through his fingertips. Kennedy on the other hand isn't getting off the deck, but the ball could be coming in like a bullet and if he gets his hands to it I'd be confident of it sticking. On the midfielders to deliver in a fashion that's suitable for the target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back