Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

It's seem pretty clear to me that Jy is playing as a bash & crash type mid, which differs from how I saw him in his initial "happy feet" days, so he needs to add the size & strength factor.

He's getting closer to that now.
There was a bit of both on Friday. He was hitting hard but also getting to the outside as well. Started on the wing on occasions.

He's going to develop into our most well rounded mid I think.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yes, started in the middle and on the wing on Friday. I think they are looking at what is possible atm. Developing a relationship and plays with the likes of Cunnington is so important. There were also some excellent series of plays that included Goldstein, Jye, TT, Cunnington as a group linking up that were unstoppable. I am thinking that there will be a development of these type of strategies as well as the 'in the moment' improvisations and decisions/choices which are so important for the players that need to take the next step. (older and younger)

Jy being added to the leadership group is huge. This is the kid who, not long ago, appears to have staggered drunk out in front of a motorcycle. Remember when some people thought Marley might be a bad influence on him? Now look. Massive! Well done Jy. We might well have another Captain Simmo in the making.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think he is near as good as many on here crap on about.

Thomas already way better.

He is tracking along okay, but really needs to make a big step this year.

Needs to get moving around the contest more too often is he flat footed, needs to take a lead from Higgins book. He isn’t going to be the type that will be able to stand there and hold his ground like Cunners.

Also needs to start doing more with his possessions...especially by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS....Thomas has played 1 season...!

Relax. Im pretty much front row of the TT cheer squadI’m not ragging on him. It was a response because of the comparison to Simpkin....who has shown the ability to accumulate.
Not really. Has had a few 20+ disposal games at senior level in the TSL and I think he might have had one or two for Tas in his junior years.

That’s what I thought. I reckon he’ll be more a high half forward like Greene or Gray.

Relax. Im pretty much front row of the TT cheer squadI’m not ragging on him. It was a response because of the comparison to Simpkin....who has shown the ability to accumulate.

That’s what I thought. I reckon he’ll be more a high half forward like Greene or Gray.

A half forward version of S. Burgoyne. I don’t see him having the capacity to get 28+ touches a game like the real production mids do, but he’ll do more damage with 18-22 disposals.

A half forward version of S. Burgoyne. I don’t see him having the capacity to get 28+ touches a game like the real production mids do, but he’ll do more damage with 18-22 disposals.
We had similar thoughts on Wells, but he developed into a gun midfielder eventually

Started off playing like a leader. Looked intent to stamp his authority on the game.

Didn't sustain it but liked his mental approach (from afar).

Still don't know if he was taken off/out of rotation in the second half or just went missing.

He was racking them and doing very good things in the first half.

Started off playing like a leader. Looked intent to stamp his authority on the game.

Didn't sustain it but liked his mental approach (from afar).

He does look good and has all the tricks but floats out of games far too often.

Whether that is fitness or mental (or both) I don't know.

Still don't know if he was taken off/out of rotation in the second half or just went missing.

He was racking them and doing very good things in the first half.
Finding it hard to find stats on the game. The match report will quote stats (mainly Bont's) but can't find player stats for Friday night. Help!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back