Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If that happened to a Vic team, the AFL would ban finals in Adelaide.

Lets not forget, which is not properly acknowledged or stated often enough, the Crows had to play some home finals AWAY in Victoria.

I know it was the 90s and a different finals system etc etc, but I believe the Crows record of playing 5 consecutive games away from home to win the flag in 98 will never ever be replicated. That has to be rated as one of the greatest sporting achievements. In fact no team has ever even come close to that? What is the record? Maybe 3? Even that I am not so sure of.
And you will never hear any Vic media or commentator make that same statement. Its always been glossed over.

If that happened to a Vic team, the AFL would ban finals in Adelaide.

Lets not forget, which is not properly acknowledged or stated often enough, the Crows had to play some home finals AWAY in Victoria.

I know it was the 90s and a different finals system etc etc, but I believe the Crows record of playing 5 consecutive games away from home to win the flag in 98 will never ever be replicated. That has to be rated as one of the greatest sporting achievements. In fact no team has ever even come close to that? What is the record? Maybe 3? Even that I am not so sure of.

We didn't get the worst of it.

Brisbane were arguably robbed of a fourth premiership in a row by having to play their home preliminary final at the MCG in 2004.

Mcadam at full pace delivering into the forward line yesterday was a thing of beauty and a glimpse of what he is capable of. He just needs games now
I have to admit, McAdam was one that I was a bit disappointed in after the game. He seemed to be near the ball without impacting the contest on multiple occasions. And i'm pretty sure Jakey Lever took easy several intercept marks while playing on him (at least they seemed to be closest to each other at the time).

That delivery in the forward line was nice, but I feel like he's got to take more then a few steps forward in the next 2 weeks if he wants to be seriously considered for round 1.

I mean, if it came down to McAdam vs Kaeys on the selection table for the HFF position then its not even close for me.

Last edited:

Brisbane were arguably robbed of a fourth premiership in a row by having to play their home preliminary final at the MCG in 2004.

In terms of overall fairness. Not IMO. They were gifted massive salary cap concessions during their hattrick of Flag wins.

The game was also played on Saturday night too which meant that Brisbane couldn't travel back to Brisbane until Sunday which gave Port 2 extra days preparation for the grand final.

From memory Brisbane were in the lead for a large part of the 04 Grand Final until time on in the third quarter, from there they completely fell away.

Was that due to the fatigue from having to travel to Melbourne for a "home" final to face a hard slog against Geelong and being given 2 less days to prepare than Port?

It's possible, Leigh Matthews certainly seems to think so because he has publicly said that it cost the club a 4th premiership.

Last edited:
He will be, he's paid too much to boot.

Gibbs at least gave us 1 good season, I'm still not writing this one off.

Its not only the Crows who get things wrong.

A conversation for another thread but given where we were with the Smith injury I didn't have a problem with the Gibbs trade. We didn't know 2018 was going to be such a horror year injury wise.

I have to admit, McAdam was one that I was a bit disappointed in after the game. He seemed to be near the ball without impacting the contest on multiple occasions. And i'm pretty sure Jakey Lever took easy several intercept marks while playing on him (at least they seemed to be closest to each other at the time).

That delivery in the forward line was nice, but I feel like he's got to take more then a few steps forward in the next 2 weeks if he wants to be seriously considered for round 1.

I mean, if it came down to McAdam vs Kaeys on the selection table for the HFF position then its not even close for me.
The first one to start the game should have been a free to McAdam. Jetta pushed him out the contest which let Lever get free to take the intercept mark.

Keays was playing midfield. McAdam was playing FF/HF. Crocker and Davis are the ones McAdam's selection is up against.

How will our side for the U23 trial game look?

B: Doedee (c), Butts, McPherson
HB: Hamill, McAsey, Sholl
C: Gallucci, Poholke, Keays
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Davis
F: McAdam, Himmelberg, Crocker
R: Frampton, Jones, Wilson
I/C: Schoenberg, Worrell, Gollant, O'Connor, Strachan, Hartigan???
Doubt Hartigan(28) will get a go too old, and Wilson (25)may also miss out,
Strachan (24) should be OK, (nil exposure to AFL), also add Matthews to the list.
The rest depends on injuries, maybe a couple of top-ups added late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How will our side for the U23 trial game look?

B: Doedee (c), Butts, McPherson
HB: Hamill, McAsey, Sholl
C: Gallucci, Poholke, Keays
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Davis
F: McAdam, Himmelberg, Crocker
R: Frampton, Jones, Wilson
I/C: Schoenberg, Worrell, Gollant, O'Connor, Strachan, Hartigan???

I know that 75% of BigFooty posters do not consider Smurphy in their best 25 players but it is a bit harsh that he can’t make our under 23 team.

I know that 75% of BigFooty posters do not consider Smurphy in their best 25 players but it is a bit harsh that he can’t make our under 23 team.
… but surely we are better off giving some experience to young Hartigan... ;)

I've got him in the second Marsh game side, along with Milera and Stengle. Wasn't a case of not rating him.

Keays was playing midfield. McAdam was playing FF/HF. Crocker and Davis are the ones McAdam's selection is up against.
Yes but when all the midfielders like Smith, Sloane and Seedsman coming back in, then Kaeys will likely need to be a Forward/Mid (the role that he dominated in the NEAFL by all reports).

And I think his DPP flexibility/experience would be looked at very favorably

Last edited:
I've got him in the second Marsh game side, along with Milera and Stengle. Wasn't a case of not rating him.
Fair enough but even I don’t rate the Smurph above Jones who imho is a certainty for round one.

I agree that our under 23 players who are a lock for Round One are unlikely to play this week (unless they missed the Melbourne match). The only players under 23 who I think are certainties for Round One are Doedee (if available), Milera and Jones. Hopefully we can Fogarty and McAsey to the list after Saturday and McHenry, Butts, Himmelberg, Stengle, Murphy, Davis, Keays, Crocker and Frampton are all in the mix.

If any of our Kids are NOT selected this week (Jones, Butts, Himmelberg, Stengle, Murphy) then they are looking good for Round One.

G’day guys, how did Ben Keays do in your first trial game?

I tried to read back through the thread, but it’s about on par with our own thread on our game against Port, and my psyche ain’t up to reading two of such threads.
did a few nice things, very hard at it and has put his hand up for a possible round 1 selection I would have thought

G’day guys, how did Ben Keays do in your first trial game?

I tried to read back through the thread, but it’s about on par with our own thread on our game against Port, and my psyche ain’t up to reading two of such threads.
Jumped off the screen in my opinion. Was always around the footy and showed great burst from contest and stoppages in a team severely lacking it in the 2nd half. Made a few mental errors that I attribute too probably trying a bit too hard. But definitely nothing that can't be cleaned up.

In my book he went from about a 10-20% chance of being in the round 1 team too 50/50. And in a team that had many fringe players go the other direction, that kind of performance won him many fans!

Hey, who was missing from your first 22 team against Melbourne? (p.s. this isn't a my team is better than your team post - it is solely for Supercoach prep).

From what i could work out Walker, B. Smith, Hartigan, Riley Knight, Seedsman, Fogarty from best 22 didn't play, were there others?

How did Keays go? Anyone got stats from the trial game?

Was hoping to see this appetite for the contest and get in the face of the oppo that they have been banging on about... Wilson was running around in circles (not sure he broke a sweat)
Polk ran around like a headless snake, no composure at all in any area of his game along with rubbish skills. The ball being run out of our forward line was as easy as you like other than a few great efforts from stengle and murph, not sure princess Gibbs is going to add much down back.
Let the rebuild begin...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back