Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You need leg speed and foot skill out of defence to break lines the best at that are Smith Milera and Seedsman unfortunately we need these guys around the mid field as well that to me is what’s lacking in our squad, if this is the case theses type of players are going to be ask to do a power of running

It doesn’t matter what your game plan is if you can’t execute it. Last pre-season we practised quick ball movement through the corridor and it looked fantastic in internal trials and quite good in the JLTs. In Round One the pressure went up and we set a world record for turnovers in the first quarter.After more of the same for a month we changed our game plan and the rest is history.

This time we will have a much less experienced team so we need to just suck it up. Similar to last year, on Saturday most of the turnover kings were our more experienced players (Gibbs, Atkins, Talia and Brouch).

Yep. Its going to learn to massive turnovers this year. If thats the gameplan expect us to be blown away early in a game by highly pressured forward players.

Those short kicks were not covering the 15m. They were like suicide 5-10m kicks which is an awful option as the ball takes longer to cover and control IMO compared to a quick handball.
Kamikaze runners from behind to receive handballs always unsettles the oppositions defence setup

I feel like in the mist of all these meltdowns over a preseason game that many have forgotten that we are about to see our draftees for the first time this weekend.

Who is everyone most excited to watch?

For me i'm chomping at the bit to see Schoenberg play. Something tells me that even though he looks like a 14 year old who just ate all the donuts, his style of play will make him surprisingly ready to play much earlier then what people might expect!

I feel like in the mist of all these meltdowns over a preseason game that many have forgotten that we are about to see our draftees for the first time this weekend.

For me i'm chomping at the bit to see Schoenberg play. Something tells me that even though he looks like a 14 year old who just ate all the donuts, his style of play will make him surprisingly ready to play much earlier then what people might expect!
All of them,we are in a perfect position to make some cruel but needed decisions to move forward, jungle attitude the strong will survive

To be honest I really can’t pick one name out of the hat, must admit after the game will probably watch a couple more closely
Fair call. They are all intriguing prospects. Admittedly none that I was gunning for on draft night, but certainly all seem to have some unique and fascinating strengths!

Schoenberg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm excited too see them all too, but which one are you most excited too see?
Worrell for me, I think he's the 'sleeper' of our 2019 draft...and an interest in Gollant to see what Hamish saw that I missed.

I guess with all the talk on big bodied tall mids Ronin O'Connor and Gollant will be closely watched by those with that particular interest.

i'm excited too see them all too, but which one are you most excited too see?

Worrell. First time we've had a tall that doesn't move slower than a glacier since Bock and (pre-injury) Hentschel.

Worrell for me, I think he's the 'sleeper' of our 2019 draft...and an interest in Gollant to see what Hamish saw that I missed.
Yeah I am still trying to figure out Worrell. Could literally be anything given his size, speed, athleticism. I just hope we don't dick him around too much position-wise because he's 'versatile'. That traditionally doesn't work out that great for Crows players.

Gollant I am probably least interested in for now. I think based on Hamish's post draft wrap on him he would be a fair way off from even approaching his ceiling, so i'm going to try and give him a fairly low pass mark.

I guess with all the talk on big bodied tall mids Ronin O'Connor and Gollant will be closely watched by those with that particular interest.

Hopefully McAsey and Gollant can pluck these sorts of marks in a real game. Will be nice to have some draftees with sticky hands.

Short kicking is fine if you're good at it.

A disaster if you're not.

We're not. Our defender/wingmen options are either poor kicks or good long kicks who lack finesse when trying to kick short.

Short kicking for us won't succeed under any sort of pressure
I actually think our short kicking woes are more about a lack of options due to work rate. Whenever I watch our games from "down the ground" I notice a distinct lack of movement, especially those secondary leads. Players seem to make an obligatory move then just stay there clogging up space. We need more dynamic movement by receivers when we're coming out of the back half imo.

I actually think our short kicking woes are more about a lack of options due to work rate. Whenever I watch our games from "down the ground" I notice a distinct lack of movement, especially those secondary leads. Players seem to make an obligatory move then just stay there clogging up space. We need more dynamic movement by receivers when we're coming out of the back half imo.

This is what GWS do. Lots of short passes with the likes of Whitfield, Kelly, Daniels, etc running hard into space.

In contrast, we were ranked something like 18th for sprint efforts in 2019.

Watching and admiring the Orange Tsunami over the last 3-4 years, the 1 other thing that's jumps off the screen is just how hard their players work to receive the release handpass, that sets up their line breaking runs into attack. For me that's the entire reason for the short kicking. Continually shifting the zone so you free up the right player to break the lines with run and a attacking kick.

I don't think we've seen that in the Crows since probably 2017. Instead we've given those release handpasses far too often to slow, sideways dominant players like Laird and Kelly. Which is essentially a cue for the opposition that everything is ok, because they in all likelihood have 10-15 seconds to reset their zone while we chip the ball backwards.

B: Worrell, Butts, McPherson
HB: Hamill, McAsey, Sholl
C: McHenry, Poholke, Keays
HF: Murphy, Fogarty, Davis
F: McAdam, Frampton, Crocker
R: Strachan, Jones, Gallucci
I/C: Schoenberg, Gollant, O'Connor, Himmelberg
Keays in the middle and Gallucci on the wing and we need to add Stengle and Mathews
McAdam may be unlucky to play he is Older then Strachan
Big Difference this when we can field a full team of Under 23 with extras,

I see Gollant as a project player, seems to have some moves but needs the body to make it to the big league, At 191 and 72kg he may struggle in the SANFL this year. another 15kg and he a different player.
Ronin O'Conner could be a big mover with a Full Preseason and time in an AFL system, And he is one player that will get time in the middle at SANFL level to prove his worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back