Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see so many conservative reactions to the virus.
Overblown, nothing to see here, "but flu", etc.

A similar attitude to how conservatives view climate change and how they viewed the link between smoking and lung cancer up to the late 70s.
Funny thing is the reactionaries were all over this in January, warning this was heading for catastrophe.

Last edited:
Mortality rate of below .5 which is still higher but similar to Germany who has 25 thousand case.

0.0 for under 75's

And interestingly there is now some data suggesting that for everyone who tests positive around 25/50 people have it as well but don't know it.

That could possibly make Australia's total 50 - 75,000 thousand.

That number is going to vary depending on how effective the testing regime is.

An indicator could be...
France : 13 000 active cases ... 1746 serious/ critical.
Germany : 24 500 active cases.... 23 serious / critial.

Germany are clearly better at tracing and testing those who may have had it.

So your data may mean that in france for everyone who tests positive there are 200 people who have it as well but don't know it, but in Germany its only 5 or 6.

In Australia , from the 1258 active cases, there are only 2 serious/critical.
Compared with Malaysia which has similar, but less cases per million, they have 26 serious/critical.

Is anyone really buying the official death tally out of China?

Also every

Funny thing is the reactionaries were all over this in January, warning this was heading for catastrophe.

Sadly we now live in a world where Karen spends three hours on Google and thinks she's better informed than an immunologist.
I'm happy to defer to the experts on this issue.

Is anyone really buying the official death tally out of China?
I'm sure as hell not buying the official numbers from Iran.

Pakistan is screwed - they have a terrible record in dealing with a health crisis, a porous border with Iran where a total shutdown just means the bribes get a little bigger, and are basically a theocracy with a significant proportion of the population who will probably try and pray the virus away. High population density too.

Sadly we now live in a world where Karen spends three hours on Google and thinks she's better informed than an immunologist.

I assume only the experts you agree with though.

I assume only the experts you agree with though.
That's arse-backwards.
Read first, then make up your mind. I doubt you have the capacity.

Much of it is flawed, it doesn't take into account people who have it, had no symptoms or very little and not bothered to get a test, possibly 25/50 people for every positive test - if true a huge number.

Also it is a possibility the numbers are flawed for some countries for people who may contract corona, die from something else but because they have tested positive its written on their death certificate.

I don't think presenting the number of deaths against positive tests is flawed, it changes as people live or die.
At present, who the * cares what the mortality rate is?

We can argue about that when all is said and

This disease, left unchecked, has the potential to decimate highly developed medical systems.

The focus should be on the most effective ways to suppress this while maintaining some semblance of a normal economy.

We don’t have enough masks to make them mandatory.
We don’t have enough tests to contact trace everyone.

Only way to stop thousands and thousands dying or clogging intensive care is to shut down. Will Morrison enact martial law for those unwilling to stop infecting others? UKs plan is to shut down for 3 weeks then relax some of the restrictions and see what happens.
Perhaps in 3-4 weeks we will have enough masks and tests.

The death rate in the UK indicates that its loose in their general population.

Fully isolating for 3 weeks is not a bad plan.
Anyone who has it without knowing , should either get worse or stop being infectious after 3 weeks.
So it can break the chain of the spread, and let authorities get back on track of where things are.

Australia doesn't seem to be at that stage yet.
Surely you do it when statistics suggest that the ICU's are starting to load up.
Not when random fear mongers demand it.

what could go wrong?
You better get ready for China to dominate everything

They are slowly starting to get back to something approaching control over this
Slowly their Commerce and Industry is starting up, just as the rest of the world is still to reach the peak of the virus
They will come out of it ahead of everyone and they will use that new found power

At present, who the fu** cares what the mortality rate is?

We can argue about that when all is said and

This disease, left unchecked, has the potential to decimate highly developed medical systems.

The focus should be on the most effective ways to suppress this while maintaining some semblance of a normal economy.

Do what the PM told you to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes of course, you are totally unbiased in your thoughts and opinions, how could i doubt you to not find what you seek
Yeah, you're not worth conversing with.
I'll listen to the health experts, you can toodle away and continue to think they're all wrong.

Much of it is flawed, it doesn't take into account people who have it, had no symptoms or very little and not bothered to get a test, possibly 25/50 people for every positive test - if true a huge number.

Also it is a possibility the numbers are flawed for some countries for people who may contract corona, die from something else but because they have tested positive its written on their death certificate.

I don't think presenting the number of deaths against positive tests is flawed, it changes as people live or die.

Given that Australia has targeted and tested a higher proportion of the population than most other countries we should have less asymptomatic people in the general population.
Evidence of this is the low death rate, and the high number of non-serious cases we report.

Yeah, you're not worth conversing with.
I'll listen to the health experts, you can toodle away and continue to think they're all wrong.

I have listened and quoted and linked many, its just you don't want to hear anything that contradicts your view.

great song by the way.

This is always the same **** with the science deniers. It's a pointless exercise when an average joe on bigfooty claims to know more than doctors, mathematicians and statisticians. The era of tinfoil hat is only going to get worse as these pseudo intellectuals and their unfettered access to social media. I had a re-read of the first 20 pages of this thread and the usual suspects accused us of fear-mongering of a 'flu'.

You better get ready for China to dominate everything

They will come out of it ahead of everyone and they will use that new found power
Not if the rest of the world unites and holds them financially accountable for this shitstorm.

This is always the same **** with the science deniers. It's a pointless exercise when an average joe on bigfooty claims to know more than doctors, mathematicians and statisticians. The era of tinfoil hat is only going to get worse as these pseudo intellectuals and their unfettered access to social media. I had a re-read of the first 20 pages of this thread and the usual suspects accused us of fear-mongering of a 'flu'.
Yep - every doctor and nurse I know is saying the same thing. It just happens to be the same as what our chief medical officers are saying, and international experts.

Who to believe? Decisions decisions...

Yep - every doctor and nurse I know is saying the same thing. It just happens to be the same as what our chief medical officers are saying, and international experts.

Who to believe? Decisions decisions...
Believe the conservatives, they have a very good track record of telling us the truth about 'situations'.

Not if the rest of the world unites and holds them financially accountable for this shitstorm.
Double edged sword for us, if there are sanctions on China then it will hit our economy hard (whatever will be left of it after this storm).. People are forgetting how dependent we are on China. In case of recession we are literally ****ed with our asset price bubble and household debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back