Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if you die of an underlying condition exacerbated by COVID-19 that you would otherwise not have died from, or not have died from for quite some time?
That’s exactly the issue mate as you know.
If say 5000 people who are dying die over a 12 month period it’s pretty normal, if they die in a 6 week period it overwhelms the health systems particularly if they are all in ICU which again is not the norm for the terminally ill.
It’s not rocket science is it, but it sure feels like it is with some. Hurts my ******* head even my 15 year old gets it.

That’s exactly the issue mate as you know.
If say 5000 people who are dying die over a 12 month period it’s pretty normal, if they die in a 6 week period it overwhelms the health systems particularly if they are all in ICU which again is not the norm for the terminally ill.
It’s not rocket science is it, but it sure feels like it is with some. Hurts my ******* head even my 15 year old gets it.
Plus the side issue - people with cases unrelated to COVID-19 can't access the medical care they need if our health services are suddenly swamped. That's a highly likely scenario.

This is the question isn't it ?.

I don't have an answer, but i imagine different countries record it in different ways, perhaps even different hospitals.

If you come down with the flu and die of a heart attack or stroke or high blood pressure or pneumonia what do you die of ?.

I think the answer has to be - YES.

There are so many people out there living their lives who are immuno compromised due to whatever. But the great efforts of modern medicine are keeping them going. If COVID-19 comes along and "undoes" the good work, then I think you've gotta count it as a COVID-19 death, because they'd still be going strong without it.

I'd say the above covers it; if COVID-19 is the driving cause of something underlying killing them, that wouldn't otherwise have killed them, or was being capably managed, then surely it's a death attributable to the virus still.

If you're an asthmatic you've technically got a co-morbidity for this disease, yet asthma is easily managed for the vast majority of cases and wouldn't cause death.

Plus the side issue - people with cases unrelated to COVID-19 can't access the medical care they need if our health services are suddenly swamped. That's a highly likely scenario.

Also true, I'd imagine that fatalities due to a car crash that couldn't get an ambulance or access to ICU won't get attributed to this, but are a very likely outcome in Italy in the moment.

Well then why dont we do this everywhere for the flu every year, the paper i linked stated that the way we are treating the corona virus may actually save more lives from the flu than from Corona.

The scenario and narrative has changed from untold deaths to now flattening a curve to save hospitals, which if anyone has seen are totally overrun during the height of the flu season, so i agree, but the country does not IMO need to close down and millions lose jobs.

Oh BTW please don't reply .......

Thanks in advance.

Also true, I'd imagine that fatalities due to a car crash that couldn't get an ambulance or access to ICU won't get attributed to this, but are a very likely outcome in Italy in the moment.
I'd say unexpected injuries would be on the wane given the lockdown but a whole host of acute illnesses would put strain on the healthcare system. Freak events can also appear out of nowhere e.g. the 'thunderstorm asthma' we had in Melbourne in 2016. It started as a 35 degree day!

Confirmed by the CDC that the Virus survives for 17 days on surfaces.....

• The coronavirus can survive on surfaces for up to 17 days, a study published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
    [*]The study examines two public health responses to COVID-19 outbreaks on the Carnival-owned Diamond Princess ship in Japan and the Grand Princess ship in California.
    [*]The virus “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated...” the researchers wrote.

No wonder it is spreading so fast and you cannot possibly clean everything to eliminate it when it survives that long.

No wonder it is spreading so fast and you cannot possibly clean everything to eliminate it when it survives that long.

17 days is a ******* long time, compared to inflluenza viruses.

Jeezers. Never mind "don't touch your face" - don't touch ANYTHING!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 days is a ******* long time, compared to inflluenza viruses.
The first info I received through work was 14 days but there has been a lot of different figures. On that cruise ship 17 days would be easy because there would have been countless infected people constantly touching everything so it’s a pretty sketchy figure I reckon.

What if you die of an underlying condition exacerbated by COVID-19 that you would otherwise not have died from, or not have died from for quite some time?
or you wouldn't have been infected if you weren't already in hospital and got infected there?. look at he army trucks transporting bodies. It aint normal by any measure.

Well then why dont we do this everywhere for the flu every year, the paper i linked stated that the way we are treating the corona virus may actually save more lives from the flu than from Corona.

The scenario and narrative has changed from untold deaths to now flattening a curve to save hospitals, which if anyone has seen are totally overrun during the height of the flu season, so i agree, but the country does not IMO need to close down and millions lose jobs.

Oh BTW please don't reply .......

Thanks in advance.
on 'ignore mate'. A pleasure

The first info I received through work was 14 days but there has been a lot of different figures. On that cruise ship 17 days would be easy because there would have been countless infected people constantly touching everything so it’s a pretty sketchy figure I reckon.
Also in a highly not real friendly Corona Virus environment temperature wise as the heating would of been quite pleasant i would assume.

Corona Virus does not like or last as long in the warmer areas and 17 days on that ship would equal close to 25+ in a cold environment which it thrives in. Most countries started this outbreak pandemic around Xmas time which is winter for a whole s**t load of countries except for a lot of the Southern Hemisphere ( i.e Us ) now we are headed into winter real quick in a time which we really don't want to be. Who knows what Australia will look like at the start of June and we need to enforce home isolation now IMO not in 2 or 3 weeks as people don't give a s**t here really and are ignoring everything.

Also in a highly not real friendly Corona Virus environment temperature wise as the heating would of been quite pleasant i would assume.

Corona Virus does not like or last as long in the warmer areas and 17 days on that ship would equal close to 25+ in a cold environment which it thrives in. Most countries started this outbreak pandemic around Xmas time which is winter for a whole s**t load of countries except for a lot of the Southern Hemisphere ( i.e Us ) now we are headed into winter real quick in a time which we really don't want to be. Who knows what Australia will look like at the start of June and we need to enforce home isolation now IMO not in 2 or 3 weeks as people don't give a s**t here really and are ignoring everything.

Well are getting into spring here in Europe why you are getting into Winter, will that be an issue then think?

This is the question isn't it ?.

I don't have an answer, but i imagine different countries record it in different ways, perhaps even different hospitals.

If you come down with the flu and die of a heart attack or stroke or high blood pressure or pneumonia what do you die of ?.
Suicide due to financial troubles due to corona virus lock down will be included in sure, gotta get that mortality rate up

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

These figures will double and triple every day or 2 IMO and we are no where near our spike. Deaths will come later as hospitals are over run because at the moment we can treat everyone.

Could be very different in 6 weeks time.

What i’d really love to know is how many are seriously ill in ICU currently. Think that’s the most relevant stat for us at the moment .

Suicide due to financial troubles due to corona virus lock down will be included in sure, gotta get that mortality rate up

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Honestly mate only a w***er on either side of the argument would be worried about what a death is attributed to.
That’s not really the point is it? It’s more about how about many people require intensive treatment at one particular time nation wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back