Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media and premiers are all talking tough on increasing measures, I expect we will see a full lock down in the Eastern States before mid month.
On what justification? Andrews in particular, but I gather the NSW Premier is much the same, want to be Seen to be doing something for the sake of doing something.

Is it actual re-infection though, or does the virus just become dormant/inactive but still inside the human body?

The virus cannot hide from the primary adaptive immune response once it has been activated.

A "dormant/inactive" virus is not a virus.

Franklin Graham, ladies and gentlemen

“Well, I don’t think it’s God’s plan for this to happen. It’s because of the sin that’s in the world,” Graham answered. “Man has turned his back on God, we have sinned against him, and we need to ask for God’s forgiveness and that’s what Easter’s all about.”

“This pandemic, this is the result of a fallen world. A world that has turned its back on God.”
The crazies get even more crazy

So their god has returned to his old ways of wiping out people, this bastard will never learn

Even if we are able to isolate and stop the spread in Australia, to the point where we can live our lives normally, we will need to keep up the international restrictions for a long time.

It would be a good time to invest in local holiday attractions as the thought of having to spend 14 days in an isolation center at your expense after returning from 5 days in Bali might put people off the idea of travel.

No.

EUyCAybXQAQVyou

Duldulao is an epidemiologist

EUyDM5OXsAENM70

Ricotta is an epidemiologist

EUyFNGlX0AAHngV

Ott is a virologist

Sekkidis is an infectious diseases microbiologist, and editor for The Lancet, which published this in early February:

Many of the travel restrictions being implemented during the COVID-19 outbreak are not supported by science or WHO. Travel restrictions for these kinds of viruses have been challenged by public health researchers, and WHO has advised against travel restrictions, arguing they cause more harm than good.​
Second, under Article 43.1 any additional health measures implemented by countries “shall not be more restrictive of international traffic and not more invasive or intrusive to persons than reasonably available alternatives”. In this case, even if travel restrictions did work, there are so many other more effective measures that countries can take to protect their citizens. WHO has issued COVID-19 technical guidance on several such measures, including risk communication, surveillance, patient management, and screening at ports of entry and exit.​

Third, and most importantly, Article 3.1 strictly requires all additional health measures to be implemented “with full respect for the dignity, human rights and fundamental freedoms of persons”, which in turn must reflect the international law principles of necessity, legitimacy, and proportionality that govern limitations to and derogations from rights and freedoms Under no circumstances should public health or foreign policy decisions be based on the racism and xenophobia that are now being directed at Chinese people and those of Asian descent.​

...​

But the IHR is the legally binding system for protecting people worldwide from the global spread of disease. With more than 2·5 billion people travelling between about 4000 airports every year, future outbreaks are inevitable. Responses that are anchored in fear, misinformation, racism, and xenophobia will not save us from outbreaks like COVID-19. Upholding the rule of international law is needed now more than ever. Countries can start by rolling back illegal travel restrictions that have already been implemented and by supporting WHO and each other in implementing the IHR.​

Quaint!

Glad all these people were focused on what's important.

It's actually a worry that infectious disease scientists would let these social science concepts trump their actual scientific thinking. Quite insidious.

Diversity and other social science matters have their place, but at a time like this I think that should be left to the social science experts.

Real scientists should science.

It's actually a worry that infectious disease scientists would let these social science concepts trump their actual scientific thinking. Quite insidious.

Diversity and other social science matters have their place, but a tinge like this I think that should be left to the social science experts.

This propaganda stuff is orchestrated at university administration level. This is where "post-modernist" types are holding the future of society at ransom. I don't reckon most folks are aware of how potentially dangerous this could end up being.

Academia has it's own virus and this also needs to be obliterated.

Fox News is sued for 'willfully and maliciously deceiving the public' about the dangers of the coronavirus

Fox News Channel and its owner, Rupert Murdoch, are being sued by a Washington State nonprofit which says it aired false information about the coronavirus allowing it to spread widely in the United States.

A 10-page complaint was filed on Thursday in King County court by an organization known as the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics (WASHLITE).

The network is accused of ‘willfully and maliciously’ engaging in a ‘campaign of deception and omission regarding the danger of the international proliferation of the novel coronavirus.’

Personally I think they’d be pleasantly surprised at how well things have gone. I think the lockdown is the stick in the event of poor compliance rates for the measures they’ve already put in place. But compliance so far seems pretty good.

If in couple of weeks were getting single/double figure new daily cases and more recoveries than infections, I think they’ll be under increasing pressure to bring out the carrot. Hopefully some staggered relaxation of restrictions May/June.

Last edited:
Lol not only do you have me on ignore, but you’re too cowardly to quote me, hey Snake. Did you get beaten up a lot in jail?

A shrink would need a 30 tonne excavator to unpack this.

The only reason this stuff was addressed is because an actual worthy and interesting poster addressed these names.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Australia will weather this storm the same way we did the GFC in comparison to other countries although we’ll still cop a recession.
I’m looking forward to getting on with things in a few months as we’ve all been financially hit due to no fault of our own.

This propaganda stuff is orchestrated at university administration level. This is where "post-modernist" types are holding the future of society at ransom. I don't reckon most folks are aware of how potentially dangerous this could end up being.

Academia has it's own virus and this also needs to be obliterated.

There is some opportunistic use of this circumstance from all sides. Modi in India would have a lot of traction from promoting the idea that Muslim prayer meetings are spreading the virus around the nation, creating an even larger divide between who the Indians see as their people and the others, now unclean and literally threatening their lives by their continued existence there - it could get very ugly person to person in India soon.

Diversity and other social science matters have their place, but at a time like this I think that should be left to the social science experts.

This stuff is rife through most science and engineering. Really taken off in the past 5-10 years, but been bubbling in the background for at least the last 20. If you go to any conference they have a whole session devoted to this and often a plenary.

Fox News is sued for 'willfully and maliciously deceiving the public' about the dangers of the coronavirus

Fox News Channel and its owner, Rupert Murdoch, are being sued by a Washington State nonprofit which says it aired false information about the coronavirus allowing it to spread widely in the United States.

A 10-page complaint was filed on Thursday in King County court by an organization known as the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics (WASHLITE).

The network is accused of ‘willfully and maliciously’ engaging in a ‘campaign of deception and omission regarding the danger of the international proliferation of the novel coronavirus.’

There are Washington Post articles about it being no different than the flu too, surprise surprise the news media have an interest in people staying in work. Disasters of human cost interest them when they are isolated in the nation or external.

There is some opportunistic use of this circumstance from all sides.

It's absurd garbage where the natural sciences are concerned, but sure enough these "academics" (i.e. folks exhibiting feminist/racial/sexual neuroses) squeal with delight whenever they can get some zombie planted inside fields where they do not belong.

Modi in India would have a lot of traction from promoting the idea that Muslim prayer meetings are spreading the virus around the nation, creating an even larger divide between who the Indians see as their people and the others, now unclean and literally threatening their lives by their continued existence there - it could get very ugly person to person in India soon.

Religious idiocy has greater correlation with these same idiots that I am identifying. It has no place in actual science, which was a fundamental underpinning of the enlightenment.

Dunno how you managed to arrive there Taylor.

I think Australia will weather this storm the same way we did the GFC in comparison to other countries although we’ll still cop a recession.
I’m looking forward to getting on with things in a few months as we’ve all been financially hit due to no fault of our own.

Unless the Government truly compensates small business there is no way this will happen, it will be much worse.

For ex:

In a tiny little town like Exmouth.

No tourists, every charter whale watching, glass bottom, fishing charter and commercial fishing boat etc is closed down which amounts to 40/50 boats (probably more) still paying pen fees but laying off all workers which onflows to families and extended families who pay rent, mortgages etc etc etc

Every shop bar the IGA and bakery is closed, every clothes shop, diving shop, surf shop, caravan park, hire car, motels and hotels etc who have bought stock that may be outdated or expired by the time this ends, then estimate the onflow in financial terms for all these family businesses that have layed off staff but still have outgoings.

Then estimate besides the financial ruin the mental anguish in terms of losing houses, marriage breakups, family disputes etc and yes suicide.

The people who made this decision are in no danger of losing their jobs.

maybe they will work their way up to suing WHO and the UN at some stage as well.

Remember when we were discussing this being made into a movie? No doubt it will be now. It may not have the visual horror of September 11 but the COVID-19 pandemic has certainly overtaken that day in terms of social and economic impact. We will only know the full extent in ten years' time or more.

It will be s**t and nowhere as brilliant as the original.

I've been writing a novel where someone develops a disease to perform genocide in a war. Maybe this event well some grand ideas in the stagnant and degrading movie industry.

WHO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back