Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see
Would someone in a critical condition be aided with a sufficient serum quantity to at least fight off the virus - thereby providing critical time for the patient to strengthen their immunity?

By the time they are in a "critical condition", then I think the horse has bolted. The neutrophil response has destroyed their lungs.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I am going to keep giving you a free education in immunology! :D

Seriously, I respect that at least you put time in to thinking about this properly, rather than engaging with the generic sociopolitical drivel which many prefer.:thumbsu:

No.

EUyCAybXQAQVyou

Duldulao is an epidemiologist

EUyDM5OXsAENM70

Ricotta is an epidemiologist

EUyFNGlX0AAHngV

Ott is a virologist

Sekkidis is an infectious diseases microbiologist, and editor for The Lancet, which published this in early February:

Many of the travel restrictions being implemented during the COVID-19 outbreak are not supported by science or WHO. Travel restrictions for these kinds of viruses have been challenged by public health researchers, and WHO has advised against travel restrictions, arguing they cause more harm than good.​
Second, under Article 43.1 any additional health measures implemented by countries “shall not be more restrictive of international traffic and not more invasive or intrusive to persons than reasonably available alternatives”. In this case, even if travel restrictions did work, there are so many other more effective measures that countries can take to protect their citizens. WHO has issued COVID-19 technical guidance on several such measures, including risk communication, surveillance, patient management, and screening at ports of entry and exit.​

Third, and most importantly, Article 3.1 strictly requires all additional health measures to be implemented “with full respect for the dignity, human rights and fundamental freedoms of persons”, which in turn must reflect the international law principles of necessity, legitimacy, and proportionality that govern limitations to and derogations from rights and freedoms Under no circumstances should public health or foreign policy decisions be based on the racism and xenophobia that are now being directed at Chinese people and those of Asian descent.​

...​

But the IHR is the legally binding system for protecting people worldwide from the global spread of disease. With more than 2·5 billion people travelling between about 4000 airports every year, future outbreaks are inevitable. Responses that are anchored in fear, misinformation, racism, and xenophobia will not save us from outbreaks like COVID-19. Upholding the rule of international law is needed now more than ever. Countries can start by rolling back illegal travel restrictions that have already been implemented and by supporting WHO and each other in implementing the IHR.​

Quaint!

Glad all these people were focused on what's important.

Fair point. Maybe these people had 'vested interests' i.e, business interests in keeping trade channels with China open? Wouldn't be the first time greed won out over the collective good. But that's pure speculation on my part.

I wasn't sure what you were angling at before, but this in conjunction with what you've posted previously about the now-infamous 'China solidarity hug-in' in New York City does seem to point to a clear lack of understanding on just how contagius this f*cking virus is. These people are showing a dangerous ignorance of current events.

Normally I'm not one for travel bans myself but in the face of all that is publicly known 100% bans on travel, immigration and public gatherings is the way to go until we get to grips with this virus.

Our icu numbers went from 3 to 14 in one day because of Germans from the German cruise ship Artania and a few more Germans have joined them.WA has at least 60 Germans from the German cruise ship with no Australians on board that invited itself in in our number of infected and there are potentially 400 more quarantined on the ship so our numbers will keep growing because of the Germans and their crew of cheap Phillapinos and Indonesians who wont go away
We already have the death of one German National on Australia’s books.

Hypothetical. What would happen if the number of patients from Artania flooded the WA ICU to the point where there were none left to cater for Australian citizens from WA? What would happen to a citizen that needed one then?

If you test positive and then recover, do you need another test to be medically cleared ? Or is it just a time thing
In Victoria, which has recorded 1036 cases, the health department calls patients to confirm they have been symptom-free for three days before adding them to the recovery tally. Western Australia, the ACT and NT also report recoveries but Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia and NSW do not.

Duldulao is an epidemiologist

This idiot has hypothesized that she contracted breast cancer due to her poor immigrant upbringing.

Ricotta is an epidemiologist

She actually reads as a competent scientist, but she does employ quite a bit of qualitative methodology (i.e. shit)

Ott is a virologist

Undergrad test tube cleaner.

If you test positive and then recover, do you need another test to be medically cleared ? Or is it just a time thing

You can technically become "re-infected" but it's very rare.

We already have the death of one German National on Australia’s books.

Hypothetical. What would happen if the number of patients from Artania flooded the WA ICU to the point where there were none left to cater for Australian citizens from WA? What would happen to a citizen that needed one then?

No idea and hopefully we dont find out.
The ship is going to be docked for another 12 days .The crew of about 450 are isolated on the ship supposedly in their cabins and plans are being made to fly the healthy crew members back to Indonesia and the Philippines. Not sure if thats asap or after a 14 day quarantine on the ship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see
Would someone in a critical condition be aided with a sufficient serum quantity to at least fight off the virus - thereby providing critical time for the patient to strengthen their immunity?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Funny you should mention barking. As in barking mad. As in Rabies.

Rabies is commonly treated with a serum of human or horse antibodies to the rabies virus. This provides passive immunity in the same way that a mother’s milk provides antibodies to her newborn child. The antibodies only last about a week before they degrade. With rabies bites the serum is injected close to the bite wound to hit the virus before it gets a chance to establish itself. As well as this, the rabies vaccine is given, but that takes more time to get the immune system to produce it’s own antibodies.

With the CoVid-19 it may be hard to apply a serum where it is entering the body. (An aerosol of antibodies, perhaps?). And of course we don’t have a vaccine to supplement the serum, yet.

It’s a good idea, and a quick search shows that urgent research is already being done. You are barking up the right tree.

Is it actual re-infection though, or does the virus just become dormant/inactive but still inside the human body?
I don't think this is known for sure yet. I haven't seen anything published yet showing how the antibodies (IgM/IgG) change after Covid-19 infection. With SARS IgG is detectible at day 240 post infection, and even some IgM is present in 30% of patients. This suggest SARS immunity is good at least in the medium term and would suggest, but not definitely confirm, that Covid-19 should be similar. Best I can do at the moment.

I don't think this is known for sure yet. I haven't seen anything published yet showing how the antibodies (IgM/IgG) change after Covid-19 infection. With SARS IgG is detectible at day 240 post infection, and even some IgM is present in 30% of patients. This suggest SARS immunity is good at least in the medium term and would suggest, but not definitely confirm, that Covid-19 should be similar. Best I can do at the moment.

Thanks for this.

It’s also worth noting that there are false positives if the test is very sensitive, which it needs to be to avoid having false negatives (which are much worse).
So somebody could have wrongly tested positive for the virus, then actually got it later on. It’s not really reinfection.

Also, it is apparent that the CoVid-19 virus is small enough to cross the blood brain barrier. I have no evidence at all for this, but if the Coronavirus could act like Herpes viruses eg chicken pox and hide inside neurons, they could have a reactivation in the same way that happens when you get shingles. Imagine if the virus became a sleeper in your brain, causing mayhem years down the track. Unlike Herpes viruses or HIV which integrates its generical material into human DNA, coronaviruses aren’t yet known to stick around. But stranger things have happened:

The Ebola virus was actually found inactive in a patients eyeball after the rest of the virus was gone.

Franklin Graham, ladies and gentlemen

“Well, I don’t think it’s God’s plan for this to happen. It’s because of the sin that’s in the world,” Graham answered. “Man has turned his back on God, we have sinned against him, and we need to ask for God’s forgiveness and that’s what Easter’s all about.”

“This pandemic, this is the result of a fallen world. A world that has turned its back on God.”

Franklin Graham, ladies and gentlemen

“Well, I don’t think it’s God’s plan for this to happen. It’s because of the sin that’s in the world,” Graham answered. “Man has turned his back on God, we have sinned against him, and we need to ask for God’s forgiveness and that’s what Easter’s all about.”

“This pandemic, this is the result of a fallen world. A world that has turned its back on God.”
Surely then we can have a spokesman or something then to have a chat? “Listen G train.. about this **** up mate, we’re sorry bro we will listen yeah? Just stop with the bat shit man”

Number of infected in Italy continues to decline, it may have been mentioned already but via world meters it states

* 4805 new cases and 681 new deaths in Italy. The number of patients hospitalized in intensive care has declined for the first time since the beginning of the epidemic in Italy

* The target of bringing down the reproductive number (R0) to 1 has been reached. Now the goal is to bring it below 1. Earlier in the epidemic, it was as high as 3. This value represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus. An epidemic with a reproductive number below 1 will gradually disappear

An estimated 30,000 lives have been saved as an effect of the lockdown measures, according to Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS)

Remember when we were discussing this being made into a movie? No doubt it will be now. It may not have the visual horror of September 11 but the COVID-19 pandemic has certainly overtaken that day in terms of social and economic impact. We will only know the full extent in ten years' time or more.

This idiot has hypothesized that she contracted breast cancer due to her poor immigrant upbringing.

She actually reads as a competent scientist, but she does employ quite a bit of qualitative methodology (i.e. shit)

Undergrad test tube cleaner.
Lol not only do you have me on ignore, but you’re too cowardly to quote me, hey Snake. Did you get beaten up a lot in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back