Preview Finally - Sydney v Essendon (79 day wait is over)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the second quarter of our round 1 game. I so hope Longmire goes into this game with the same attacking and quick gameplay he had in the first 3 quarters in round 1. It did not always work but it created scoring opportunities and played to the strengths of our 2020 players.
I’m sure he will but sometimes the opposition negate the running attacking style

Please Horse leave Heeney in the goal square even if our midfield is getting flogged. He's just about the best one-on-one player in the comp and whatever height he gives away he makes up for in strength and aerial capacity. Tis time.
Agreed. Bold prediction, but I reckon Heeney could win the Coleman if he played as our number one forward for a full season. Virtually guaranteed a few goals a game given how good he is one-on-one with the added bonus that he can do things very few number one forwards can do.
two undefeated sides in a june clash is rare
One of many similarities between this match and St Kilda vs Geelong in round 14 2009.

I reckon the short season works in our favour. This match is very winnable, and IMO our next three are very winnable. Going very early, but win this and we're a chance at the top 8 IMO. Could find ourselves 3-2 or 4-1 at the bye.

Just watched the second quarter of our round 1 game. I so hope Longmire goes into this game with the same attacking and quick gameplay he had in the first 3 quarters in round 1. It did not always work but it created scoring opportunities and played to the strengths of our 2020 players.

I think we have been saying this for 4 years now

I think we have been saying this for 4 years now
To be fair, the last time there seemed to be noticeable improvements to the game plan in round 1 was 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gameplan has very clearly been for the past two seasons to run the ball and move it quickly through the middle to give the forwards a chance. Pretty fundamental footy. But you can only do what your oppositions lets you do and what your skills allow. I can clearly see the intent though and our kids are getting better at doing it.

Actually winning clearances made us look like a different team in Round 1 and chuck Hewett into the mix and we've got a nice little unit to win some ball in the middle. I knew Sinclair wasn't the best at rucking (actually statistically the worst) but I was blown away by the difference that Naismith made.

Is Daniher still worth a crack? giving we wont be competing for top 4 position for a few seasons.
If he is fully fit etc he can make up a hell of a lot of difference in finishing mid table to even top 4.

I believe he is that good and poses unique problems for defensive units when up and about.

Yes we definitely should is my opinion with all the caveats about selling the farm/injury prone tossed in. At ANY price = no. At a consider price yes. You always pay more for 2 metre tall coordinated skill athletes in our game compared to others in any event. There simply are not that many of them. Drafting 101.

Every player in a contact sport is one injury away from being a bust, if he can prove his injury is not systemic and permanent then have at him. Should we pay him Buddy money - nope - he does not have that marketing power nor pedigree at this stage but he is a power forward and the Sydney market sure does love us a big unit up front. Funnily enough so do all AFL coaches, trainers, back office staff, teammates and supporters.

Whatever people think about this game it is better to be taller than not, particularly for his position, and you cannot train someone that is 190cm to be 201cm like him. He is immensely talented and it would be great to see him in our front half.

The gameplan has very clearly been for the past two seasons to run the ball and move it quickly through the middle to give the forwards a chance. Pretty fundamental footy. But you can only do what your oppositions lets you do and what your skills allow. I can clearly see the intent though and our kids are getting better at doing it.

Actually winning clearances made us look like a different team in Round 1 and chuck Hewett into the mix and we've got a nice little unit to win some ball in the middle. I knew Sinclair wasn't the best at rucking (actually statistically the worst) but I was blown away by the difference that Naismith made.

Don't get me wrong I agree, but I still think the midfield is a shambles. We carved Adelaide's midfield up because their midfield group are a good match-up for us: slow and one-dimensional. JPK, Parker etc looked like Dustin Martin against them. North have a similar midfield, which is how JPK had his crazy dominant Marsh community game back in Feb. I still predict our midfield will be torn a new one against a team with speed and cohesion through there, like Richmond or Brisbane or GWS or even a unit like St Kilda if they click soon enough. Our perennial inability to combat opposition's spread will rear it's ugly head once again.

In terms of improving on this I still see Florent as our best hope given he has genuine breakaway speed from the contest, and we're also hopefully going to continue getting minutes into the likes of Rowbottom, McInerney etc who are pretty quick. But we are a ways from seeing what fruit those new faces can bear. I hope I'm wrong about that trio of JPK, Parker and Hewett, but it will take them limiting the damage of an elite midfield and then inflicting their own damage for me to be convinced otherwise.

Daniher is the kind of player that can almost single-handedly win you a flag if he finds form at the right time.

Yep, Essendon came very close last time Daniher had a fully fit season. Ten goal loss in an elimination final.

Yep, Essendon came very close last time Daniher had a fully fit season. Ten goal loss in an elimination final.
Not his fault they did what they've done in finals for 15 years. I know I was shitting myself when he took a speckie in the first minute and kicked the first goal of the match. The ball hardly entered their forward line. And before anyone makes the argument we should fix our midfield, save it for when Fyfe requests a trade here.

Not his fault they did what they've done in finals for 15 years. I know I was shitting myself when he took a speckie in the first minute and kicked the first goal of the match. The ball hardly entered their forward line. And before anyone makes the argument we should fix our midfield, save it for when Fyfe requests a trade here.

Right, but he didn't nearly win them a flag and he won't win us a flag either. He is one tenth the player Buddy is and we still had holes in our side with Buddy, so not sure how Daniher would take us to a flag. Think absence is making the heart grow fonder where Daniher is concerned. He is a guy who has kicked over 50 goals in a season once.

Right, but he didn't nearly win them a flag and he won't win us a flag either. He is one tenth the player Buddy is and we still had holes in our side with Buddy, so not sure how Daniher would take us to a flag. Think absence is making the heart grow fonder where Daniher is concerned. He is a guy who has kicked over 50 goals in a season once.
He was the second best forward in the comp at 23 years old last time he was fit.

He also almost single-handedly won Essendon the ANZAC Day match against a legitimate top four side last year despite going in with * all fitness. He's the kind of bloke that can win a Norm Smith and drag you across the line in a big game if he's on. Similar to how Buddy almost took us apart in 2012.

He was the second best forward in the comp at 23 years old last time he was fit.

Wow

Anyway there's a Daniher thread for a reason. He won't be playing next Sunday and good riddance - the media will have to actually focus on the game instead of the spectacle they created themselves.

He was. It's not really disputable. You could say Kennedy and maybe Betts and Gray were ahead of him along with Buddy, but I know who I'm taking if I'm trying to build a GF winning side.
Anyway there's a Daniher thread for a reason. He won't be playing next Sunday and good riddance - the media will have to actually focus on the game instead of the spectacle they created themselves.
So? Conversation came up and I responded to it. We won't have teams for 6 days. There's not much else to talk about, and a bloke with a famous Essendon name wanting to come to us is inevitably going to be a key talking point. If it isn't, I hope you don't even consider discussing anything beyond next week's game in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back