Autopsy vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

We are bloody close to having a complete team. Melbourne have absolutely gift wrapped us a beautiful first round pick. And after how they have started the year it will be a top 5 pick. The injectors would have blown them out of the water today if they had of played.
I agree that the squad is looking good. Just need more games into guys like Scott, Hayden, Walker, LDU etc. Intercepting defender, defender with jets, goal-kicking small forward and more midfielders, especially ones that can break from the contest are the priorities in my mind. Potentially another CHF prospect wouldn't hurt either.

I’m feeling a bit better after a nights sleep and seeing what transpired with the Saints and the Cats. We fought it out. That was a positive. The knock-on effect of the loss of Cunnington shouldn’t be overlooked. Last week we could afford to leave Higgins on the half forward flank for the first half. Cunnington shouldered the brunt of the tag. In the second half Higgins hit the centre square fresh and we went from there. Yesterday, with no Cunnington, it impacted on Polec and Higgins and knocked on from there. To really be a contender, we need to be able to deal with these eventualities. However, Richmond, GWS also succumbed this weekend as well, so n o team is completely immune. Simpkin was a massive boost. If I was being harsh, I would say we replaced Cunnington and Scott with two witches hats. Given we had Marley available, that was on the selection panel. Both our GWS imports are shaping up as disappointments. Bonar deserves more time. However, Ahern is frustratingly ineffective. I cannot believe he is the same player as the one who tore WC apart in Hobart a couple of seasons ago, when he was just warming up after a very long stint in rehab. Seriously, what gives with Paul?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a tad early to be putting Kyron under the pump, has played a grand total of 2 and a bit games, let him run with O'Meara or Mitchell next week, bring Marley back to play back pocket.

I was under the impression the following were mids
Bonar
Ahern
Hayden

I'm not 100% on what we're doing with Hayden in the backline.

When Cunners went down I think we missed an opportunity to rotate a few more through the midfield. Especially when s**t just wasn't working.

I expect a much better showing next week. Our last outings against the hawks have been spicy so let's see how we go.

I also feel better after a day of perspective, almost every team has had a bad game, usually far worse than ours, if we want to say this could have been won if a couple of things went different, then it is just as true as saying we could have lost the first two if a couple of things happened differently.
The reality is our guys are fitter than most which means they have worked harder than most and we don't have the healthy list of a team like st kilda or brisbane.
We are probably in a good spot right now, in touch with the comp but not putting a target on ourselves whilst our guys build their skills and we start getting some players back in the line up.
We probably don't want to burn out in the first few rounds either if the hub thing and then tassie winds up happening

Of course it could all be over now and everything i just said means nothing 🤷

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but jeez, how was that head clash between Taylor and Aliir? My god. I can't believe Aliir was the one who had to go off, and young Curtis just got back up and kept playing.

Said it before and I'll say it again, that kid and Will Walker are going to be our under the radar weapons. Smart, skilled, and courageous/tough beyond their size.

ooh, and speaking of matters relating to heart, BIG thumbs down to Hayward for that dog act hit on Jasper over the boundary. Got my ire up quite a bit watching that! Good thing it wasn't the usual 2 am here, would've woken the people upstairs.

But yeah, other than that, I think the only thing left to say is Jy freaking Simpkin. :thumbsu::thumbsu::musicalnote::mansshoe::mansshoe::zap::zap:

Oh, and piss right off Covid. You better not take our flag this year.

My only disagreement with you here SN is that I don’t believe Taylor and Will will be flying under any radars. They will attacking the radar and daring any guns to take them out before they exact major damage. 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how we compared to the swans yesterday with respect to age and experience. Thomas, hayden, Bonar, Taylor, Ahern, zurhar all wouldn’t have played 25 games yet. They will be up and down. They need consistent support from the senior guys. Unfortunately yesterday it was the 100- 200 gamers in Atley, pittard, Polec, Higgins, ziebel, jmac, brown, Wood, that didn’t come to play. To only lose by a few points shows the system held up reasonably well. We can debate the Marley selection but scamper had the credits to make his call. I reckon we only had 5 outright win their position yesterday and that was JY, Goldie, Dumont, Taz and surprisingly Hall. It’s unlikely we will have so many all down again against the Hawks.

I wonder how we compared to the swans yesterday with respect to age and experience. Thomas, hayden, Bonar, Taylor, Ahern, zurhar all wouldn’t have played 25 games yet. They will be up and down. They need consistent support from the senior guys. Unfortunately yesterday it was the 100- 200 gamers in Atley, pittard, Polec, Higgins, ziebel, jmac, brown, Wood, that didn’t come to play. To only lose by a few points shows the system held up reasonably well. We can debate the Marley selection but scamper had the credits to make his call. I reckon we only had 5 outright win their position yesterday and that was JY, Goldie, Dumont, Taz and surprisingly Hall. It’s unlikely we will have so many all down again against the Hawks.

We had it all over them for experience and games played - even with Cunners out for Bonar.

It was as you say a poor effort by a number of senior players - many who are repeat offenders now over many years BUT are still getting a game....just in case they come good....

Poor Thursday night selection was a feature of the later Scott years - we simply aren't good enough to be carrying players at this stage of our development.

North MelbourneAttributeSydney
188.7cmHeight187.0cm
87.5kgWeight84.9kg
26yr 3mthAge25yr 0mth
102.7Games84.7

As soon as I heard Cunners was out I went from pretty confident to very worried about our chances. His value to the side can not be understated.

With Cunners gone we needed our leaders to step up. Jack's first few minutes were impressive but then he fumbled which cost a goal and missed crucial set shots. Brown as well, his set shot is nowhere near as bankable than a few seasons back.

We needed a strong games from Higgo and Polec which didn't happen.

Hall was OK but needs to lower the eyes when approaching 50m, he isn't Polec when it comes shots from 50m on the run.

Pittard could not have played worse if he tried. Didn't go when he needed to either which pissed me off and I hope Shaw highlights this.

How we let the Swans player just jog away after that hit in Pittard was s**t as well. We had to fly the flag on that.

Thomas, Ahern, Bonar all passengers.

Simpkin was brilliant and he has made that mental step of knowing he is really good. He will just keep getting better.

I think we should bring in Xerri until Larkey is good to go. We need another focal point and I don't want to see Zurhaar in the ruck ever again.

Really poor game which is a shame after all the positive media during the week.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please can we stamp woods papers
I definitely think he is the one getting off lightly here. Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He needs a good hard look at himself. The kids have an excuse they are kids. He is 26 years old and played 60 games. Has one game a year where he kicks a bag and rests on his laurels for the rest. Out Wood In Anyone who really wants to have a crack. I would even give Hosie a go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking now that we were spent after GWS. Lack of physicality, fumbling, lack of running in waves that's all energy related.
We didn't look spent and lacking energy when we kicked the last 4 goals of the game, came home strong and were running over the top of them.

We lost it in the second and third quarters with poor kicking, not being strong enough in the contest, and giving them too much time and space. Questionable selection also probably didn't help.

So apparently this meant "Plan B(ee)". Seems to have worked given we kicked the last 4 goals at that point.

View attachment 896621
5 goals down with 10 to play. It's a bit of a task. Maybe plan Bee could have been activated earlier.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I felt like our mindset v GWS was we were the hunter. Our endeavour over the four quarters couldn’t be faulted.
Against the Swans we were the hunted. Their pressure was better than ours and we seemed to have a lot of passengers.
We should have been 3 goals up at half time but wasted too many chances.
Woeful 3rd quarter but at least we finished the game off well. That gives me hope V the Hawks where we can go back to being the hunter.
I think that was Kyron’s last game as a defender - looked out of his depth and gave them 5 shots on goal in the 2nd half with his errors.
Against Sydney you're always the hunted, thats the way the play. But we had chances and just blew it. If we had other opportunities, I'd drop Ben Brown. Too many misses. It's becoming too often. A few shot's and we would have won.

5 goals down with 10 to play. It's a bit of a task. Maybe plan Bee could have been activated earlier.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
We generated enough shots on goal from that point to win. Didn't get it done.
Like Geelong last night.

I agree that the squad is looking good. Just need more games into guys like Scott, Hayden, Walker, LDU etc. Intercepting defender, defender with jets, goal-kicking small forward and more midfielders, especially ones that can break from the contest are the priorities in my mind. Potentially another CHF prospect wouldn't hurt either.
So half a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back