Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight Hibberd was a really good illustration of the confusion that can occur when you have mids playing from the wings and flanks.

He basically refused to attack the ball in the first half, trying to hold ground, which is clearly not the way he plays.

Thought it was a really strange way to use him, almost to zone back to defence. He plays as an old fashioned centre who really needs to grind out games from the middle. He started to look okay when arriving at a contest and distributing.

Didn't like what I saw tonight. Basically a pointless selection. Hopefully it's not held against him.

Thought it was a decent first game against a handy opposition.

Will be better for the run but his size and work rate was evident, a couple of times he bobbed up at full back to provide cover which shows he is willing to work hard defensively.

Had a couple of clearances, worked hard, but why was he on a wing?

Thought they may have let him loose in the middle but I suppose Stringer was on fire from the start so he did not get any center bounce time.
Thought he was okay given the role he played.

Tonight Hibberd was a really good illustration of the confusion that can occur when you have mids playing from the wings and flanks.

He basically refused to attack the ball in the first half, trying to hold ground, which is clearly not the way he plays.

Thought it was a really strange way to use him, almost to zone back to defence. He plays as an old fashioned centre who really needs to grind out games from the middle. He started to look okay when arriving at a contest and distributing.

Didn't like what I saw tonight. Basically a pointless selection. Hopefully it's not held against him.
Mids as flankers. Flankers as mids. You should not be shocked.

That's why you develop them for more than a few quarters before trying?

But it was you whinging when Rids was not in the side...... Make your mind up. Do you want to develop them in new roles or do you want them developed in their best role ? Of course you could just play them week in and week out in a position they struggle with and then just * them completely :eek:o_O:rolleyes:
The way he is playing now I would suggest they have it right.

Just play him the same way he played at Williamstown and we’ll win here.
Jeez he looks big. Strong, fit, looks like it would hurt for weeks if he tackled you.
Keep him in for another week at least, would be good for him to get a win against his old mob

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it was you whinging when Rids was not in the side...... Make your mind up. Do you want to develop them in new roles or do you want them developed in their best role ? Of course you could just play them week in and week out in a position they struggle with and then just fu** them completely :eek:o_O:rolleyes:
The way he is playing now I would suggest they have it right.

You're no good at this so you should just give up.

You still think it was a good idea to drop Ridley from playing in defence to develop him in a different role which didnt then happen/maybe even he just sucked and to then leave him playing in defence in the reserves?

I wasn't complaining that Ridley should've been playing AFL in the middle. It was that he wasn't in the side at all getting experience when he clearly should have been.

The belief that Ridley has a set of atrributes that convert to playing in the middle is not the same thing as saying he should play there tomorrow or even this year.

If you weren't too busy arguing with the strawman you've created you might look at the amount of time that has gone into shoehorning Langford in to a midfield spot. You think Ridley woldnt be better than that given the same opportunity?

Hope he gets a fair few of Stringer's centre bounces minutes next week. By no means a star out of position against Coll, but easy to see how strong he is. He was completely undisturbed when tackled.

You're no good at this so you should just give up.

You still think it was a good idea to drop Ridley from playing in defence to develop him in a different role which didnt then happen/maybe even he just sucked and to then leave him playing in defence in the reserves?

I wasn't complaining that Ridley should've been playing AFL in the middle. It was that he wasn't in the side at all getting experience when he clearly should have been.

The belief that Ridley has a set of atrributes that convert to playing in the middle is not the same thing as saying he should play there tomorrow or even this year.

If you weren't too busy arguing with the strawman you've created you might look at the amount of time that has gone into shoehorning Langford in to a midfield spot. You think Ridley woldnt be better than that given the same opportunity?

For a start do not put words in my mouth. At no stage have I ever said it was a good idea to try Ridley anywhere other than a flank where he played his under 18 footy. You seem to be the one who has a continual problem with a number of players and how they are used. All I did was comment that he was ordinary when he was tried around the midfield / wing and his spot was half back.

On top of that Ridley was not dropped to try him in a different role. He actually was named and played defence for a few weeks before they wanted to have a look if his good ball use and calm under pressure could translate into something up the ground. He had a few average games and like a lot of young blokes he was dropped. Given how he is going now has it hurt him ? NO. Did it cost us a Grand Final ? NO.

As far as Langford goes I have always said he was also a flanker and have always said trying to convert him was a waste of time. I am also on record as saying one of our biggest issues had been trying to convert players flankers into midfielders. The only strawman around here is you.

The facts are all I have ever said was Ridley was tried up the ground and it did not work.
You have the issues about Ridley being dropped and in your mind missing out on development.
I will say it again. Being dropped has not hurt his development at all !
Maybe you need to give up !

I felt like he contributed in the last quarter when they were making their run, some good in close work and clean releases. With Stringer out and Zaka firing blanks, he should get another week, I hope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We won't know what he's capable of until they play him in his best position, the midfield.
Hopefully Stringers injury means more midfield minutes for both Hibberd & Parish.

Hope he gets a fair few of Stringer's centre bounces minutes next week. By no means a star out of position against Coll, but easy to see how strong he is. He was completely undisturbed when tackled.

Yeah it was clear he was bloody strong over the ball. Would give us something different around the clearances if we played him there. I'd like to take a look at him in that role with Heppell out of the side. There's no point bringing him in and just playing him on the wing which clearly doesn't suit him that well. Merrett can easily come in and do a very good job playing on the wing. It might even be an ideal role for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back