Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly squeezed back Hartigan, DMack and M Crouch over the last 2 weeks

Getting the 18/19 band back together.

Just so disappointed
Basically the changes from Round 2 to now are

Seedsman, Atkins, Murphy, Crocker, Fogarty, Tex out

Hamill, Stengle, Mackay, Hartigan, Frampton, McAdam in

Only Seedsman and Crocker have been forced, injuries/suspension hit the rest, though you'd hope Atkins and Murphy would have been dropped if not for injuries as they have generally contributed little. So good news, we've kept most of our new players in, the bad news has been that when faced with further injuries we've retreated back to senior players for a 50/50 split, rather than go further into the depth of our list. The test comes when those outs all come back because the were mostly non-forced. If you drop a Hamill to keep Mackay in the side and bring back Atkins then that is the ultimate fail as a coach in what is supposed to be a rebuilding period. I know they have a difficult mix to make of keeping trade value alive and playing youth to develop.

I think this is the rock/hard place Nicks is in. History would say guys like Radar, Clarke and Hart all come from a culture where seniority is placed above all else, and knowing the likes of Fagan, Ricciouto and other board members, their shortsightedness would be putting major pressure on Nicks and the coaching group to "just get a win", which shows that A. the talk of the rebuild is BS and that they haven't learnt a thing from anything that has happened over the last 3 years.

Jones and McHenry have been named in the midfield to start games in recent and then proceed to play half a game in there, maybe not being named there is a good sign to more midfield minutes?!
Potentially. I still remember McHenry absolutely dominating Norwood after starting in the FP, so that bit doesn't worry me.

McAdam FF will be interesting, hopefully delivery improves as to give him a look in.

Basically the changes from Round 2 to now are

Seedsman, Atkins, Murphy, Crocker, Fogarty, Tex out

Hamill, Stengle, Mackay, Hartigan, Frampton, McAdam in

Only Seedsman and Crocker have been forced, injuries/suspension hit the rest, though you'd hope Atkins and Murphy would have been dropped if not for injuries as they have generally contributed little. So good news, we've kept most of our new players in, the bad news has been that when faced with further injuries we've retreated back to senior players for a 50/50 split, rather than go further into the depth of our list. The test comes when those outs all come back because the were mostly non-forced. If you drop a Hamill to keep Mackay in the side and bring back Atkins then that is the ultimate fail as a coach in what is supposed to be a rebuilding period. I know they have a difficult mix to make of keeping trade value alive and playing youth to develop.

I think this is the rock/hard place Nicks is in. History would say guys like Radar, Clarke and Hart all come from a culture where seniority is placed above all else, and knowing the likes of Fagan, Ricciouto and other board members, their shortsightedness would be putting major pressure on Nicks and the coaching group to "just get a win", which shows that A. the talk of the rebuild is BS and that they haven't learnt a thing from anything that has happened over the last 3 years.
In summary there will be no change until incompetent decision makers at our club are gone. They are Chapman, Riccuito, Fagan.
Closely followed by Reid(sorry not sold on him and never will be), Hass, Hart, Godden, Clarke.

I suspect that we are due for a 100 point thrashing. Our good players are playing poorly and our Kids are showing glimpses but not contributing a great deal. The average disposals for our forwards have been
Stengle 3.0 kicks, 8.0 handballs, 2.0 tackles, 1.0 goals, 0.0 goal assists
McAdam 4.0 K, 2.0 H, 4.5 T, 0.5 G, 0.0 GA
Frampton 5.0 K, 3.7 H, 0.7 T, 1.0 G, 0.3 GA
McHenry 0.0 K, 2.0 H, 4.0 T, 0.0 G, 0.0 GA (for game as a full-time forward)
Chayce has spent time in the midfield (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) every game this year.

So our 5 forwards have averaged just under 6 disposals per game and 2.5 goals between the 5 of them per game.

This is going to get really ugly!

I know the Tools the Trolls and the Crazies would like us to play the 22 youngest layers on our list but if we did the Tools. Trolls and Crazies would scream blue murder as we would lose every match by 20+ goals.

We are still getting belted every week anyway, even with older players in. So what difference does it make?

I'd rather lose by 14 goals, with a younger side - than a 'respectable' 8 goal loss with some senior players in. It makes absolutely 0 difference.

We are still getting belted every week anyway, even with older players in. So what difference does it make?

I'd rather lose by 14 goals, with a younger side - than a 'respectable' 8 goal loss with some senior players in. It makes absolutely 0 difference.

History suggests that young teams that are totally clueless are very poor at developing their KIDS. It is always a balance but it has been a long, long time since we had so many inexperienced players in the team.

I believe that Gibbs has been cooked for more than a year so he is number 44 on my list of who to play. Mackay is next because we have plenty of long term options for a half back flank or a spot on the wing. You can mount an argument for playing Hartigan but we have several exciting young tall defenders (Butts, McAsey and Worrall).

I would prefer to give Kelly’s spot to a younger defender but I can (almost) understand why he is getting picked. We had 16 players on our list of 44 who were 25 or older at the start of the year. A combination of injury and poor form means only 10 of these 16 players will suit up on Saturday. If at least half of the team is in the 18 - 24 group then the KIDS will get plenty of opportunities.

I'm hoping, and it's probably blind hope, that Nicks has an idea in mind given we have selected Talia, Hartigan, McAsey, Kelly, Dude, Brown, Macpherson, Laird and Hamill.

Talia, Brown and Hartigan are a lock for playing down back.
McAsey will play forward
Macpherson should play HB given it's his first game
Could they be looking at shifting Kelly or Dude into the middle??
Could Laird be shifted out into the middle?
Hamill should play wing

So our defense then looks more likely to be
Kennedy: Talia
Darling: Hartigan
Allen/Waterman: Dude
Ryan: Brown
Ah Chee: Macpherson
Redden: Laird

McAsey up forward, Hamill on a wing. Kelly no idea, possibly in place of Dude with Dude in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone had to post it

(You lied to me) All those times you said that you'd play youth
(You lied to me) yes, I tried, yes, I tried
(You lied to me) even though you know I'd still back you
(You lied to me) yes, I cried, yes, I cried

(Return of the Mack) here he is
(Return of the Mack) come on
(Return of the Mack) oh my God
David Mackay: (You know that I'll be back) here I am
(Return of the Mack) once again

Last edited:
McPherson debuts I see. 👍
I had no idea he is indigenous. 😱
He really hasn’t been very visible or I have not realised who I’m looking at in various training picks.

All I’ll say on the Mackay selection is that he at least usually tries to take the game on and has decent disposal by foot, but I do agree this selection should be used on players like Sholl, Davis etc

To the positives:
McAsey looks likely to play as our tall forward alongside Frampton
Stengle for Murphy an immediate massive upgrade on so many levels
McPherson to finally debut!

I disagree on Mackays disposal by foot. Usually kicking in clear space straight to no one or directly to the opposition.

I know we are all melting about Mackay being selected, but it makes sense:
- We have looked good exiting defence when playing on with pace, but only Hamill and Smith (maybe Keays) are doing this well. We look terrible when going sideways and holding up play.
- Nicks has been rewarding good form in the scratch matches, not playing kids at all costs. He has said he will only choose youth over experience where they are playing at a similar level. The kids selected have largely looked ready.
- based on training and scratch match form and not "reputation", Moose and Mackay are the types of players we need and are in form.
- Nicks has never coached Mackay in a real AFL match. Nicks needs to make an informed decision on all players on our list, not just the kids.

West Coast is also the perfect game for Nicks to see Mackay. Plenty of mature AFL bodies to knock him off the ball and let him go missing.

If Mackay plays a blinder and makes our defensive structure work, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say "well done Mackay". I'm not expecting to put my hand up (auto correct also tried to correct blinder to blunder, so may also have seen Mackay play).

Just Happy Polk is out.. and hopefully card has been stamped.

While guys like him are on the list after 4 years the training standards are compromised along with future development with kids being shown the right path of how to succeed in the early yrs of AFL life.
How he could last so long in a professional/skills/performance based organisation speaks volumes of where we now find the club.

Back