Analysis Dangerfields drop in form

Remove this Banner Ad

& to be fair he did have a drop in form! He is normally absolutely outstanding every single week.
Nothing wrong the thread at all. Dunno why people are getting all snippy.

Precisely, he'd been up and down before last night, with a couple of really quiet ones, and last night - I thought - was easily his best game this season.

Not exactly controversial I would have thought.

Selfish one way runner. If he is playing poorly offensively then you can sure as sh*t bet his direct opponent is best on ground or close to it. Was shocking last year burning his team mates as well as burning the ball when he kicked it.
This board doesn't allow any negativity surrounding Dangerfield though so it is probably 'the coaches fault'' or he has 'a niggle' or something
Sadly true. Even though he is still consistently in our best, he often burns the ball and does dumb things.
Good ‘see ball get ball’ player though. Still probably the best in the comp. Interesting to see where he ends up in latter stages of his career. One would think he needs to clean up his set shots and defensive mindset to carve a career up forward.

Selfish one way runner. If he is playing poorly offensively then you can sure as sh*t bet his direct opponent is best on ground or close to it. Was shocking last year burning his team mates as well as burning the ball when he kicked it.

This board doesn't allow any negativity surrounding Dangerfield though so it is probably 'the coaches fault'' or he has 'a niggle' or something
For a Board that doesn't allow negativity, there's plenty of it.

Let me ask you a question - has Geelong been better off with Dangerfield in the team or not? In other words, has the good outweighed the bad?

Was in our best v Hawthorn R2.

As for finals, lets look more closely:

2019 2nd Semi win v WCE - average performance by Dangerfield
2019 PF loss to Richmond - Danger went missing in 2H

I reckon we would not have won last night but for Dangerfield. As I said in my MVP votes he was THE catalyst.

I cant agree with that - Paul Roos and other commentators were saying that PD had even elevated himself higher after that performance

His last qtr in that game was one of the best qtrs in a final ive seen from a Geel player - his overhead marking being a highlight - and he made his direct opponent Yeo ( who is a good player ) look like a total hack

I cant agree with that - Paul Roos and other commentators were saying that PD had even elevated himself higher after that performance

His last qtr in that game was one of the best qtrs in a final ive seen from a Geel player - his overhead marking being a highlight - and he made his direct opponent Yeo ( who is a good player ) look like a total hack

Not sure about that. He took some big marks very late, but had very influence overall. He had only 18 disposals for the entire game, with zero goals. So it's not like he had an influence up forward.

In last year's finals series, his Qualifying Final against Collingwood was easily his best September game.

Let me ask you a question - has Geelong been better off with Dangerfield in the team or not? In other words, has the good outweighed the bad?
yeah there is

GO Catters

Of course he has been a positive. But the fact is we havnt won a flag with danger here and he is part of the reason by not turning up and butchering the ball in finals.

I don't just blame danger. The club have let his ego run out of control and in fact encouraged it.

& to be fair he did have a drop in form! He is normally absolutely outstanding every single week.
He, Sel and GAJ have set such a high standard that they are scrutinised more if there is a mild form drop. Even last pm, GAJ was great, but I did not fit him into our votes. Watching the replay, he was nearly as good as Danger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers spazz!

just a bit of Toey fun with my post. Happy to cop small tongue n cheek nips, it’s two way.

agree he had some below par weeks and bounced back with a great game Thursday. Surely nobody is shocked thought?? I think the question more will be if he consistently plays like that or it’s just a standout game here or there then just ok ones such as the trend so far.

I guess we will see how it pans out.

that’s the problem for a player like danger who sets such an elite standard Like he has over such an illustrious career

As a neutral whose family is all mad Geelong, I thought he was good against Hawthorn, Melbourne and obviously BOG against Brisbane. That's 3 good games out of 6.

Probably will end up making AA - tieing with Ablett on the AA record of 8!

Of course he has been a positive. But the fact is we havnt won a flag with danger here and he is part of the reason by not turning up and butchering the ball in finals.

I don't just blame danger. The club have let his ego run out of control and in fact encouraged it.

sorry but a massive load of crap.

Has won a brownlow medal MVP award club BF award and has stared in many games that have gotten us into top four finishes in the first place, then given his all in finals. Is far far from any reason we haven’t won a flag but a reason we where in a great position with a shot in the first place.

a champion of the club and deserves more respect than this from a geelong fan.

sorry but a massive load of crap.

Has won a brownlow medal MVP award club BF award and has stared in many games that have gotten us into top four finishes in the first place, then given his all in finals. Is far far from any reason we haven’t won a flag but a reason we where in a great position with a shot in the first place.

a champion of the club and deserves more respect than this from a geelong fan.
Funny that you list all the individual accolades he has won. If Danger had turned up more in finals we would have an extra flag.

[/QUOTE]
Funny that you list all the individual accolades he has won. If Danger had turned up more in finals we would have an extra flag.

because they only hand out awards for individual players. Even some of the most selfish players have premiership medallions so using that as some logic is crap.
Already been pointed out he was named in our best plenty of finals we have played on several occasions.

just the usual nonsense from a geelong pessimist point of view

because they only hand out awards for individual players. Even some of the most selfish players have premiership medallions so using that as some logic is crap.
Already been pointed out he was named in our best plenty of finals we have played on several occasions.

just the usual nonsense from a geelong pessimist point of view
Do you think Dangerfield has played to his usual high standards in finals?

Last edited:
im pretty sure that his av possesions, clearances and scores in PF as an average is higher than his HA season avs...

I know this was asserted before and the suggestion that in PF's he was no good just fell away.

I cant find the posts now but if geelong_crazy26 wants to look it up...

GO Catters

im pretty sure that his av possesions, clearances and scores in PF as an average is higher than his HA season avs...

I know this was asserted before and the suggestion that in PF's he was no good just fell away.

I cant find the posts now but if geelong_crazy26 wants to look it up...

GO Catters
2017 was a mixed bag
Average (vs Richmond but had minimal impact as his disposal was poor/ his opponents were near bog)
Excellent (Sydney Bog)
Poor (Adelaide, towelled up by opposing midfielders)

Was shocking against Melbourne in the EF in 2018. Had 12 Clangers

Was good against Collingwood in 2019 QF
Was poor against West Coast SF
Dissappeared when the heat was on against Richmond in the PF

"The rest of the team played poorly as well" is not an excuse when he is our prime ball winner in the centre square. He has not had the impact on finals that is expected of a player of his talents

Edit: Had an excellent finals series in 2016 from a stats perspective. I should have acknowledged that

Can we keep this "Danger down on form" guy, along with "struggling Ablett" in our side - both seemed to go ok
We’re precious aren’t we. Throw in the yearly doozie like Selwood finished and Hawkins irrelevant. Gee I hope opposition supporters don’t read these threads.

2017 was a mixed bag
Average (vs Richmond but had minimal impact as his disposal was poor/ his opponents were near bog)
Excellent (Sydney Bog)

"The rest of the team played poorly as well" is not an excuse when he is our prime ball winner in the centre square. He has not had the impact on finals that is expected of a player of his talents

Edit: Had an excellent finals series in 2016 from a stats perspective. I should have acknowledged that
I remember his last game for the crows in a final was Unbelievable, especially for a player who knew it was his last.

He hasn't. (Except a really good one for the Crows.) Don't care what the stats say. The easy shots missed at the start often set the scene and really hurt too.
But he's still been better than most.
You think about it too, for a good 8 years who has been at their average or better consistently in finals???
Guthrie, Bews possibly Selwood? That's like 3 players!
Not Dangers fault at all we struggle. He can't do everything.

2017 was a mixed bag
Excellent (Sydney Bog)

That's about spot on. Except I think that first Richmond final. He had no choice to do everything. Copped s**t for it cause of his kicking, but he was the only one who made us slightly competitive for a couple of quarters.
Would of had Mots ahead of him for BOG in that Sydney final too, but he was still fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back