News Geelong being sued by former player alleging sexual assault.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecr...k=e964890f54865c3197e130d9b2af41c2-1680863780

A former Geelong footballer has accused a trio of players of a historic gang rape as he sues the Cats for failing to protect him from sexual abuse.
The ex-player claims he was just 15 or 16 when he was cornered in the shower at the club’s Aberdeen House, a residence for country recruits, and sexually assaulted by three older athletes in the early 1980s.
The man, a prominent Indigenous Elder now in his late 50s, filed Supreme Court action against the Cats this week for a trial by jury, claiming the club had a “duty to take reasonable care of his welfare, safety and supervision” while he was living at the football house as a minor.
“My client has shown a lot of courage and strength in coming forward about his abuse,” said Arnold Thomas & Becker lawyer Angela Di Carluccio.
“He is a proud and well respected Indigenous man who has fought hard in his life to overcome his trauma and to contribute positively to his community.”
The former sportsman, who does not wish to be named, had played for the club’s Under 19s side but left the game soon after the alleged assault.

In documents before the court, he claims the Cats were “vicariously liable for the abuse” because they employed the three alleged perpetrators.
Those three players have not been named in the writ, and have not been added as co-defendants.
“(Geelong FC) placed senior players in a position where they had authority, power, trust, control and the ability to achieve intimacy over the plaintiff, which afforded them the opportunity to abuse (him),” the document states.
“The Plaintiff was vulnerable by reason of his age, displacement from family and dislocation from his home.”
The writ, which has been served to the club, also alleges that Geelong FC failed to protect minors from abuse, to separate minors from adults at Aberdeen House, to supervise the house parent and provide channels to report incidents.
As a result of the alleged assault, the ex-player claims to have suffered a psychiatric injury that led to a loss of earnings and earning capacity, and medical and like expenses.
Ms Di Carluccio said the Cats had “a duty to care for his welfare and safety” while he lived at the property.
“There was a failure to properly supervise Aberdeen House or separate my client from players who were adult men,” she said.
A Geelong FC spokeswoman said the club was unable to comment.
During a recent sale of Aberdeen House, the vendors reported that people in the community would walk up to them and tell them of the Cats’ link to the property, and that they “went to some wild parties here”.
A listing agent selling the home in 2021 told the Geelong Advertiser it was purchased by the club during its 1963 premiership year, and operated as a residence for country players.
The agent said the property was retained by the Cats until the late 1980s or early 1990s, and previously had a unit in the backyard where the house mother resided.

Grim reading. Not that anyone here now has anything to do with it but just shows we all have skeletons in the closet.

Geez could this year get any worse for the GFC?

Hopefully the club takes care of the victim now that they are aware of this horrifying claim.

Im too young to know anyone involved but i would hope those that know something come forward to the club or victim and spill the beans.

It breaks my heart that this poor man went through such a thing. It doesn't matter where this happened and under whose watch. If the GFC is liable, then it must face what happened. The same goes for the three ex-players responsible for these awful crimes.

Child abuse is a terrible reality that affects millions of children worldwide, and it's important that we all take a stand against it. It is a problem that affects the individual child and has significant negative consequences for society.

First and foremost, child abuse causes immense harm to children. It can take many forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect. These can have long-lasting effects on a child's physical, emotional, and mental health, often leading to long-term psychological damage and trauma. This can impact a child's ability to form healthy relationships, trust others, and even affect their ability to succeed in school or work later in life.

Moreover, child abuse affects the individual child and has a broader impact on society. It can lead to an increased burden on social welfare systems and healthcare costs due to the physical and emotional damage caused by abuse. It can also contribute to increased crime rates, substance abuse, and mental health issues. Children have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation, and it's our responsibility as a society to ensure that these rights are respected and upheld.

Taking a stand against child abuse means actively advocating for the protection of children, supporting and promoting programs that work to prevent child abuse, reporting suspected abuse to the appropriate authorities, and supporting survivors of abuse. It's also important to educate ourselves and others about the signs of abuse and what steps can be taken to prevent it.

Standing against child abuse is important not only for the well-being of individual children but also for the health and prosperity of society. We must all actively advocate for children's rights and work to prevent child abuse in all its forms.

It breaks my heart that this poor man went through such a thing. It doesn't matter where this happened and under whose watch. If the GFC is liable, then it must face what happened. The same goes for the three ex-players responsible for these awful crimes.

Child abuse is a terrible reality that affects millions of children worldwide, and it's important that we all take a stand against it. It is a problem that affects the individual child and has significant negative consequences for society.

First and foremost, child abuse causes immense harm to children. It can take many forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect. These can have long-lasting effects on a child's physical, emotional, and mental health, often leading to long-term psychological damage and trauma. This can impact a child's ability to form healthy relationships, trust others, and even affect their ability to succeed in school or work later in life.

Moreover, child abuse affects the individual child and has a broader impact on society. It can lead to an increased burden on social welfare systems and healthcare costs due to the physical and emotional damage caused by abuse. It can also contribute to increased crime rates, substance abuse, and mental health issues. Children have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation, and it's our responsibility as a society to ensure that these rights are respected and upheld.

Taking a stand against child abuse means actively advocating for the protection of children, supporting and promoting programs that work to prevent child abuse, reporting suspected abuse to the appropriate authorities, and supporting survivors of abuse. It's also important to educate ourselves and others about the signs of abuse and what steps can be taken to prevent it.

Standing against child abuse is important not only for the well-being of individual children but also for the health and prosperity of society. We must all actively advocate for children's rights and work to prevent child abuse in all its forms.

well said BlakeyNoFlakey - that report was grim, sobering reading - I hope the club has the resources to go any ways necessary to ease this person's trauma.

Agree with everything you say. But let’s just wait until this is proven in court first before we come to any conclusions.
As sad as the allegations are, they are still just allegations at this stage and in this country we are assumed innocence until proven guilty.

Heartbreaking to read.

You'd hope that there might be settlement outside of court to avoid further trauma.

Claims of vicarious liability face the difficulty of showing that the acts were done in a context closely connected with what the persons were employed to do.

But if this leads to acknowledgement of past harms connected with the club and an approach to healing those deeper wounds that exist, that's as much as you can ask.

Where in my post did I make any judgment on the issue? I just wrote that it was a disgusting read

Being a survivor myself I hope the club does everything it can to support the survivor and help with the investigation/case which I’m sure they are doing

Heartbreaking to read.

You'd hope that there might be settlement outside of court to avoid further trauma.

Claims of vicarious liability face the difficulty of showing that the acts were done in a context closely connected with what the persons were employed to do.

But if this leads to acknowledgement of past harms connected with the club and an approach to healing those deeper wounds that exist, that's as much as you can ask.

........if it's true.

At this point it is no more than an unproven allegation.

It, and any evidence the complainant can furnish, is yet to be tested in a court of law.

Until then, the GFC - and the alleged perpetrators - are innocent.

All we have atm is a claim, by an anonymous person, with no supporting evidence......as yet. It could be factual, it could be fiction.

IF the allegations, and the evidence presented to support them, stand up to a test of their integrity in a court of law then by all means we trust the GFC will address the matter appropriately.

Where in my post did I make any judgment on the issue? I just wrote that it was a disgusting read

Being a survivor myself I hope the club does everything it can to support the survivor and help with the investigation/case which I’m sure they are doing

I didn't make any judgement on what you said.

I simply agreed it's a disgusting read ...if true.

It could also be a work of imagination. We simply don't know at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything you say. But let’s just wait until this is proven in court first before we come to any conclusions.
As sad as the allegations are, they are still just allegations at this stage and in this country we are assumed innocence until proven guilty.

Used to be anyway.

........if it's true.

At this point it is no more than an unproven allegation.

It, and any evidence the complainant can furnish, is yet to be tested in a court of law.

Until then, the GFC - and the alleged perpetrators - are innocent.

All we have atm is a claim, by an anonymous person, with no supporting evidence......as yet. It could be factual, it could be fiction.

IF the allegations, and the evidence presented to support them, stand up to a test of their integrity in a court of law then by all means we trust the GFC will address the matter appropriately.
No, it's still heartbreaking to read whatever the case.

The problem is that the adversarial system literally repeats abuse which is why no-one will gain by it being "tested" in court rather than the parties obtaining the necessary information, meeting and reaching a way forward.

Also, no-one here has commented on the truth or otherwise of the allegations. They are just expressing concern over something that we all know is a real issue in society.

No, it's still heartbreaking to read whatever the case.

The problem is that the adversarial system literally repeats abuse which is why no-one will gain by it being "tested" in court rather than the parties obtaining the necessary information, meeting and reaching a way forward.

Also, no-one here has commented on the truth or otherwise of the allegations. They are just expressing concern over something that we all know is a real issue in society.

Yes, abuse is a problem in society. No debate there

I hope in this SPECIFIC instance that the GFC undertakes due diligence to determine the facts of the matter.

If it is determined that the allegations are true then I sincerely hope the GFC address the matter appropriately and promptly to help the person overcome their trauma in the best way they can.

If it is determined that there is no evidence to support the allegations I then hope the GFC defends its reputation robustly.

Why haven’t the 3 players been named in the writ ?
Unless there is an ongoing police investigation, it seems odd that the actual perpetrators aren’t being sued as well.

I would hope that there is a police investigation against the individuals involved. In the circumstances, people are always going to sue the organisation over the individuals, because the organisation has more money.

Ah, as expected the uNprOVeN aLleGaTiON inNOcEnT UnTiL pRoVeN guIlTy!!1!!1 crowd are already out in full force now that it's our club.

Amongst other things, it's a civil claim so talking about it like a criminal charge is fairly meaningless. It sounds like the claim is against the club for failing to protect the player.

Statistically it's extremely rare for people to make false sexual assault allegations. If expect the club will thoroughly investigate this and do the right thing by this person.

Last edited:
I would hope that there is a police investigation against the individuals involved. In the circumstances, people are always going to sue the organisation over the individuals, because the organisation has more money.
Mostly it’s a lengthy and often futile process to try and bring justice to the abusers as unless you have hard evidence and other witnesses (which is hard after 40 years) it will be a “he said and he said claim”.

Targeting an organisation over its breach of care is much easier to prove and a much less traumatic experience than reliving the process again through cross examination in the court system and being made out to be a liar

Yes, abuse is a problem in society. No debate there

I hope in this SPECIFIC instance that the GFC undertakes due diligence to determine the facts of the matter.

If it is determined that the allegations are true then I sincerely hope the GFC address the matter appropriately and promptly to help the person overcome their trauma in the best way they can.

If it is determined that there is no evidence to support the allegations I then hope the GFC defends its reputation robustly.
Bigger picture please instead of the tiresome innocent untill proven /must back the club’s “reputation “ dribble

Bigger picture please instead of the tiresome innocent untill proven /must back the club’s “reputation “ dribble

It's how the justice system works, regardless of the size of the picture.

Its principles are the foundation of our society as we know it.

Anyhow, we have differing perspectives, and that's ok. I don't have anything else to say, and don't want this to become an emotive exchange, so I'll leave it here.

Anyhow, we have differing perspectives, and that's ok. I don't have anything else to say, and don't want this to become an emotive exchange, so I'll leave it here.
Not much justice for a 15 year old indigenous kid living away from home being abused in a house that’s suppose to be safe and cared for by the organistation

Espically given the cultural and social environment of the time towards indigenous Australians as a whole

But hey I’m sure he’s just going through the process just for money right? If the claims are proven in the civil courts I hope he gets what he’s after whither that’s financial compensation and a better apology or to highlight and confirm his story or both

But yeah innocent untill proven guilty is more important than the context of what potentially happened to a 15 year old boy

You get that this is a civil claim right? So the onus is on the plaintiff but the evidentiary standard is balance of probabilities, not "presumption of innocence unless proved beyond reasonable doubt".

Ah, as expected the uNprOVeN aLleGaTiON inNOcEnT UnTiL pRoVeN guIlTy!!1!!1 crowd are already out in full force now that it's our club.

Amongst other things, it's a civil claim so talking about it like a criminal charge is fairly meaningless. It sounds like the claim is against the club for failing to protect the player.

Statistically it's extremely rare for people to make false sexual assault allegations. If expect the club will thoroughly investigate this and do the right thing by this person.
This isn’t a dig or a smart arse comment it’s a genuine question.

If Geelong employed these people as players, how is it there fault because of there actions?
I’m sure the football club would’ve had more than one house and assuming and hoping this is the only case, the only thing I can see the football club possibly did wrong was not house the house mum inside the actual house to keep an eye on the men/boys living there.

Also why is it just a civil claim and not a criminal charge against the accused?

Once again these are just genuine questions that if you or something can answer so
I could understand better.
Thanks

Not much justice for a 15 year old indigenous kid living away from home being abused in a house that’s suppose to be safe and cared for by the organistation

Espically given the cultural and social environment of the time towards indigenous Australians as a whole

But hey I’m sure he’s just going through the process just for money right? If the claims are proven in the civil courts I hope he gets what he’s after whither that’s financial compensation and a better apology or to highlight and confirm his story or both

But yeah innocent untill proven guilty is more important than the context of what potentially happened to a 15 year old boy

I've clearly stated, and repeated, that I hope the GFC does everything possible if the allegations are true.

But if they're incorrect, I expect the GFC to defend itself accordingly.

It's an emotive issue, and I hope it's resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.

No more from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back