Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year we got flogged in round 1. Larkey was an emergency. The next week we picked Tom Campbell to play key forward, which at the time left me bewildered. A few weeks later Campbell was gone and lo and behold Larkey took his overdue chance.
How we could be so dumb to make the same mistake again is beyond all belief. Even worse, we picked him in the wet!!!
There are at least five guys we could have played instead of Campbell.
Why did we even keep Hosie if we think Campbell offers more as a forward.
This club is in disarray and it's killing me.
I see very little hope.

This was so obvious it is inconceivable. Every other fit player on list offers more than Campbell offers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Campbell was supposed to take a couple marks, but otherwise throw his body around, bust packs and cause some chaos in our forawd line.

It didn't work.
This is exactly what they wanted Xerri to do.

People keep talking about draft picks....how is that going to work??? Nobody is playing. Pick 1-40 is probably going to be a lotto.
In terms of the draftees not playing?

I’m definitely NOT a draft expert or anything but I know that clubs watch these top players for years.

Two weeks in a row Rhyce Shaw has been shown up to be a complete dickhead!

First playing an underdone Cunnington and then backs it up by playing a Carbon Rod in Campbell.

It’s hard enough to win games Rhyce without ******* handicapping your team you idiot.
Baffling team selection week after week.

No real direction on field.

Same bunch of plodders still getting games.

Bad, bad signs...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This has made me realise how well Brad Scott did with what he had. Seriously, I don’t think we had a top 8 list in any of the seasons he was at the helm, but we made two prelims in that time. Kudos to him for that.

mate we had boomer Petrie, dal santo firrito and swallow playinginstead of our current bottom five.

stinker of a take

It’s remarkable how bad a team can look when they are getting beaten. Sometimes, it appears to be worse that it really might be because the opposition are tighter, stronger, have more skills and class. It didn’t look that way tonight though - North players didn’t seem to make any option easy when their team-mate had the ball - no leads, no spread. Exits from the backline were almost always a kick to a contest, or worse, a second option handball to a bloke already in more trouble than the Kelly gang. When there was a chance, I’m sure some of our blokes looked to the forward line and saw absolutely nobody in a position to kick it to - forcing them to second guess the best option, and that was usually worse than the first.

I can’t get over the fact that our blokes see a team-mate take a mark and they all put their hands on their hips and kind of wander around like they are sending the message to kick it to somebody else. They just don’t give an option, a pressure release or anything. That’s why there can be three blokes standing in front of Brown - they peel off our other forwards who have already checked themselves out of the contest.

Maybe they aren’t fit enough and they need a break??? I know there’s talk about skills and so-forth which I can also see aren’t up to par, but a lot of turnovers from our blokes appear to be due to not having an option so they have to forget the instinctive disposal and try to find anything available to them - and they get hammered.

The other really hurtful thing is that the small forward cupboard is dead-set empty.

Cam Z and Curtis, Scott, TT... They appear to all be capable players but not one of them has taken up that role in any consistently meaningful way. I don’t know if Zurhaar is actually a small - for a while he was playing as ruck. I think he’d be better in a key position than Campbell for example - at least until Larkey is back.

Seriously, if the ball hits the ground inside our 50 there’s hardly any likelihood of one of our blokes crumbing it cleanly. And that might be why there was criticism of Brown last year with his low goal-assist stat. He isn’t one to create that many opportunities (even though he isn’t selfish - he just doesn’t create second chances for the team if he can’t mark the ball).

I kind of hoped Hall would prove his critics wrong. I don’t think he’s achieved that in the past few weeks, so he surely won’t hold a place in the side after tonight. But anybody having a go at Hall has to be honest enough to call out a few others as well. TT, Jasper, Polec and a few others will have to thank the fact that North don’t have the depth to replace them in the next 22 at the moment.

On the brighter side, LMac is a good player. Just like everybody else, he needed to be put in the right place - for him, it’s being a creative tagger. He does way more than just stop an opponent. Walker was pretty darn good. Made the odd mistake, but out in. Taz is just Taz - a champ. Goldie looks rooted by the 5 minute mark of Q1 but just keeps on going and his second efforts are to be applauded.

Jy is pretty darn good. When he builds a bit more strength he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Didn’t see anywhere near enough of Taylor tonight but provided he gets the OK to play next week he has enough in the bank to keep a spot. Hayden, Atley, JMac - accounts are close to overdraft at the moment. Not that they were anywhere near the worst - just that they simply don’t give the team any surge or drive when it could be needed. Marley seems to be there to make up the numbers.

Has anybody noticed that we leak goals in red time? How can the team stop that - is there a real answer with the blokes we have to pick from?

Last edited:
The cupboard is not that bare that you play Tom Campbell!

The move didn't come off but would you have preferred we played Wood, who has had 100000 chances? Durdin or Mackay, both who are clearly shortlisted for delistings? I'll admit I want to know why Hosie hasn't had a chance though.

We're crying out for a second tall forward to basically just repeatedly contest the ball up the line so we could at least halve the contest instead of just intercepting, and Campbell is 200cm+. IMO the selection made sense, even if it didn't work out how we would have liked.

How many direct goals did he cost tonight in a game with not that much intensity tonight? His first or second kick with no pressure, he kicked on the full in the back fifty. His foot skills are not up to AFL standard. He has a go but what is the point of blooding games into players who don't have potential to be big game players.

2020 Stats

Rd 1. 9 touches
Rd 2. 6 touches
Rd 3. 7 touches
Rd 4. 9 touches
Rd 5. 3 touches (Was concussed)
Rd 6. 13 touches.

2019 averaged 12 touches in normal quarters.

He needs to develop a tank to play more midfield minutes and with the right development could easily be Jy 2.0
Wtf are you talking about?

I’m not saying Brad recruited well mate. We didn’t draft a decent player for years under him. I’m saying, given the condition the list was in while he was coach, he did very well, performance wise, with the players at his disposal. Feel free to actually read my post before jumping to conclusions about what I’m saying.
He had super stars playing. Go back and look at the team list when we played in Prelims. Scott under performed big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive my weekly intrusion but my boy, Josh Walker, had the better of his opponent once again.

Twenty eight goals in the last four games sums up what is wrong. Only Zurhaar, playing in Richard Osbourne's old number, looks remotely like kicking multiple goals. The rest do not look the part.

Josh was never really a success up forward for Brissie but I thought it strange he hasn't been given a run there at some stage over the last couple of games. The truism is you should never rob a strength to plug a weakness, but five out of the six forwards have been non-existent for several matches in a row1 I would have opened up the last quarter with Josh in the goal square.

He couldn't play worse.

Shaw: It was a really tough game. We had a real crack, but they were sharper and took their chances when they needed to. We didn’t get the result we want, but we found some of our game again.

Shaw: We need to be cleaner going forward. We aren’t helping Browny out. He worked hard again tonight.

Shaw: Losing Jed wasn’t ideal. He’s got a bit of a quad issue and we’ll keep an eye on it during the week.

Shaw: We showed a lot without Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington. But these guys out is giving our young guys a chance to stand up and we’re happy with how they’re going.

Shaw: Luke McDonald did another great job on Dylan Shiel. It’s no mean feat to do a job on Bont last week, and then Shiel this week.

Shaw: Goldy is having a fantastic year. He’s in that top tier of ruckman.

We have Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott, Tarryn Thomas, Nick Larkey, Cam Zurhaar, LDU, Jy Simpkin and Will Walker.

All going to be great players.

Rowell definitely in a league of his own though.

We have Simpkin, LDU and Tarryn. I don't see any of the others becoming great players. Good players but not great ones. We need top end talent.

Mason Wood, at his very worst, has always given us a more flexible, mobile look. I know we’ve all been disappointed in how he hasn’t lived up to the potential we’ve, rightly or wrongly, seen in him. However, he would have created many, many more issues for the Bombers defence than a lumbering VFL player. Larkey, obviously, is the big loss up there. We were so crap tonight and still could have won.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow. After that sh*t show you want to call out a 4 game veteran in Hayden? I know that emotions are high but that’s a stupid comment.
And he's played mid for his junior career, now thrown into defence. Did some good things and had some bad clangers but there's no way I'd drop him.

Our ball movement is a problem. Tonight we didn't have much overlapping run, and were forced to kick to a contest too many times. The game looks to have gone past Marley Williams, and our half back line is too slow.

Rhys seems to think that winning contested ball is the be all to end all like Sydney at their ugliest. Brad Scott had done his dash with us, but Shaw and the other coaches seem pretty uninspired.

I reckon we might get at least one low draft pick this season, our own.

Front on contact in a marking contest = free kick, get held in a headlock a WWE dude would be proud of = free kick, unless your name is Zurhaar.

Too many negatives to list right now, but we will be copping the same conditions at the same ground, +/- rain next week v Tigers, so some match practice with a wet ball wouldn't go astray.

Also....

The whole rivalry thing looks stupid on our end when it’s mainly talked about from our side and then we go on to have sh*t performance.
Bullshit. Anyone that says there is no rivalry is so ignorant.

The 90s and when North tried to get into the VFL are all well known.

Essendon supporters and players use the “What rivalry?”card so often it makes them look stupid. They think they sit on a throne when they say that.

Gotta love when there is no rivalry apparently but there are more Essendon pricks here commenting on a North Melbourne page then their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back