Preview Changes: R7 vs St Kilda - Monday 20/7 @ 7pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

We keep saying the kids are good, senior players are the problem. That may be true to a certain extent, but the fact remains that the seniors are finding the ball a lot more than the kids at the moment.

I don't know if we're just blinded by our frustration with the team and senior players.

They (senior players) may be underperforming at the moment, but the kids still haven't proven that they can consistently get their hands on the ball.

High possessions mean nothing when you do what our senior players are currently doing with it.

You missed the point. He is a wounded warrior
That's true.

I'm more just thinking in the medium to long term. We need to find a new role for him like Port did with Boak. I don't think it's wingman.

I would try sloane off halfback and run hamill off a wing..with his pace and ability to take the game on he might be a revelation there
It's harder to tell on tv, but at the ground last week you could see that Hamill was getting rotations through the wing.

Probably because most young players are in peripheral roles. Forward line is almost all youth (ball never goes there) and the backline has what, two youngsters?

Jones the only young player in the middle, maybe you count Keays. Both second rotation
Keays, Brad Crouch and Jones were the most used centre bounce rotation.

The sad thing was....that is what we consider a good MacKay game! Thats his ceiling. Got mid-teens and didn't majorly screw up.
However, last quarter from defense. A 200 gamer, according to biased Dwayne has no one to go to, but the down ground view showed he had meters to run, draw the man hbl to Jones, or kick wide to the lead. No Dmac tries and inboard kick to a Stengle running the other way. How is that 200 games of experience?
I think the instruction to take the game on is something that is coming directly from the coaches, and I think it should be encouraged.

McPherson only just turned 21. He is very much still youth.

It’s not at all simplistic to blame M.Crouch, Laird, Hartigan, Mackay, Kelly, Lynch because Blind Freddy can tell how they are all currently on field anchors around our neck in one way or another.
Sure.

But a few folks on here want us to pretty much run with our reserves side.

And our reserves side was getting beaten by 100+ points in the scratch matches.

I'm just saying - it could get messy.

A
Our structure is totally f’ed and senior players are letting us down

Out: M. Crouch, Kelly, Mackay, Laird
In: Poholke, Fogarty, Crocker, Sholl

We need BIG, permanent changes where senior players just... fu** right off

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Hamill - Hartigan - McPherson
C Smith - Jones - McHenry
HF McAdam - Fogarty - Lynch
F McAsey - Frampton - Stengle
R O'Brien - B. Crouch - Poholke

I Keays - Crocker - Sholl - Sloane
absolutely nailed the outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After further consideration this is the team I would go with. Pull the bandaid off Nicks

Out: Mackay MCrouch Hartigan Sloane inj Kelly Lynch?/Frampton?
In: Schoenberg O'Connor/Poholke Worrell Fogarty Sholl Davis

Brown Talia McPherson
Laird Doedee Worrell
Smith Jones Hamill
Mcadam Fogarty Davis
Stengle McAsey McHenry

ROB BCrouch Schoenberg

Keays O'Connor/Poholke Frampton/Lynch Sholl

This team will do no worse than than the team we played today.

Last edited:
After further consideration this is the team I would go with. Pull the bandaid off Nicks

Out: Mackay MCrouch Hartigan Sloane inj Kelly Lynch?
In: Schoenberg O'Connor/Poholke Worrell Fogarty Sholl Davis?

Brown Talia McPherson
Laird Doedee Worrell
Smith Jones Hamill
Mcadam Fogarty Lynch?/Davis?
Stengle McAsey McHenry

ROB BCrouch Schoenberg

Keays O'Connor/Poholke Frampton Sholl
I agree with dropping MacKay, Lynch, and one of Hartigan or Kelly. I wouldnt drop sloane unless he is injured but if I were in the club I would take advantage of his possible hand fracture and rest him. That way our captain mantains his authority.

Would love to see Schoenberg come into the side. If he has what I believe he has I see Schoenberg as a future captain of the club. Hope that Fog gets back this week. I have had big wraps for Poholke but would also like to see what Worrell can bring. But thats a lot of changes. Not sure that we will make that many.

Sure.

But a few folks on here want us to pretty much run with our reserves side.

And our reserves side was getting beaten by 100+ points in the scratch matches.

I'm just saying - it could get messy.

Nobody is saying that, people are just saying that there is no value in playing someone like a David Mackay who got 16 touches over a younger player. Stop being hyperbolic.

Look, it makes me incredibly unpopular because it doesn't align with the groupthink, but I'm more concerned about our youth.

Hamill? Great. McPherson? Sure, though he only just still qualifies as youth (at least he's different).

Jones is getting the midfield minutes. McHenry is getting time upfield. McAsey is getting the chance to run and jump at the ball and play his natural game. Stengle was back in his ideal role.

And they looked so-so.

I'm just not as overwhelmed by them as others. I REALLY want them to succeed and I back in Haggis, but I'm concerned by how simplistic it is to blame every player over 25 for the disaster we're facing.

Look, I did enjoy watching the endeavour, so maybe this is a bit of post game frustration and concern. It's not like we have any other options.

I think most people know that are young players at the club are not themselves going to get us back up the top. Some won't make it but many could form part of a successful team with the right players around them.

I think our high draft picks over the next few years will be the top end talent we need.

Every premiership team has a mixture of players, I can't think of a team that had 22 guns.

I think most people know that are young players at the club are not themselves going to get us back up the top. Some won't make it but many could form part of a successful team with the right players around them.

I think our high draft picks over the next few years will be the top end talent we need.

Every premiership team has a mixture of players, I can't think of a team that had 22 guns.
Brisbane’s triple premiership team in the early 2000s was awfully close to having 22 guns.

Nobody is saying that, people are just saying that there is no value in playing someone like a David Mackay who got 16 touches over a younger player. Stop being hyperbolic.
So that's what people are saying? Just drop David Mackay?

Or drop Mackay, Kelly, Matt Crouch, Sloane, Hartigan, Laird and Lynch?

Be realistic about what people are posting.

I'm happy for changes, but I know this forum will be inundated with people bitching when we lose by 15 goals.

TBH no number of changes will matter unless we work out a game plan. Doesn't look like we have one forward of ROB.

If we wanna move it quick then great, but we aren't we doing it all game ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back