Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Carlton can finish top 8. Winning a final? Possibly. Winning the flag? Unrealistic. Majority of Carlton fans would agree with me.

They don't have the level of consistency and experience to win multiple finals against teams like Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong and GWS.
Fair comments and i cannot disagree.

Our best and worst are just to far apart currently but i just want a close to fully fit 22 to pick from at this stage. Put a fully fit Matty K and Charlie Curnow into this team along with our running machine Zac Fisher and then i will be able to make an educated call. If Polson and Darcy Lang are also not getting games this is a massive +.

Dow / O'Brien i am not including because i have to many doubts on their ability even though they were highly taken in a draft that could be the worst for a decade just when you manage to get 2 high picks as well....... Sighhhhh

That's exactly what I was thinking when watching the game last night.

There's this fallacy that because a team is mediocre, they must also be 'young and up and coming', but that actually couldn't be further from the truth for Carlton.

There are still some missing pieces to the puzzle, but I hardly think we are running out of time with our list.

We need to continue and trade well if we want to be a top 8 and beyond side.

Having 2 300 game players does inflate that average a bit too, for age and games played.

14 players 25yo and under last night and Doc @ 26yo. Demographics aren't static and will alter dramatically in the next couple of years when those who skew the averages retire. What the Blues need is to get Papley at season's end and find someone who can take Jones' role in defence. Transitioning out the other 5 (Murphy, Newnes, Casboult, Simpson, Curnow) are manageable.
Still with Dow, O’Brien, Fisher, JSOS, TDK, Marchbank and Charlie to add to that team over the next 1-2 years so it’s in great shape. With Honey, Philp, Kemp and Ramsay waiting in the wings.
How many times a day on BF does someone post a list of their young players as if it's meaningful? I read a North supporter comparing their young crop to Gold Coasts somewhere.

Pretty sure I said they have the top end draftees but they actually have to step up and that is absolutely no guarantee to happen. Some of those you both list look like they'll come on sure but a good proportion won't as they wouldn't for most clubs.

Wait so Kennedy plays one half decent game at the age of 23 and now he’s not a bust? Looked better as a forward last year but don’t think that’s a long term option. If he’s one of your starting over the next few years you will struggle big time

What Kennedy produced last night looks sustainable over the longer term. He was able to get to lots of contests and cover the ground like I’ve never seen him able to before.

How many times a day on BF does someone post a list of their young players as if it's meaningful ... Some of those you both list look like they'll come on sure ...

What on earth are you talking about? The players I listed were mostly over 30 years old and would be expected to retire within the next few years.

How about posting something relevant to the post you're quoting.

How many times a day on BF does someone post a list of their young players as if it's meaningful? I read a North supporter comparing their young crop to Gold Coasts somewhere.

Pretty sure I said they have the top end draftees but they actually have to step up and that is absolutely no guarantee to happen. Some of those you both list look like they'll come on sure but a good proportion won't as they wouldn't for most clubs.
I was replying about list demographics. We’re the fourth oldest of the round. But I don’t think our best 22 is on the park at the moment and our better players bringing our average age down significantly. I’d have Dow, Fisher and Curnow in from our youth.
I’m currently liking that our kids aren’t being exposed too early. Some are now going to have to wait till 2021 and even 22 before they get a game as this team should be together for another 1 year atleast. Simpson and Betts will both play on. Betts has another year on his contract. Murphy May be forced out and maybe Casboult but he’s currently the best forward ruck or ruck forward in the game so Curnow will need to take McGovern or McKay’s spot. Curnow has elite endurance and is one of our quickest so I don’t really care if he makes us too tall.

Only on Big Footy is it more important to be young than have actual ability and team balance that allows you to win games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.

You'll find that the battler types are being played to force their more talented younger counterparts to earn their spots - one of the principal changes under Teague - which distorts the demographic stat.

14 players 25yo and under last night and Doc @ 26yo. Demographics aren't static and will alter dramatically in the next couple of years when those who skew the averages retire. What the Blues need is to get Papley at season's end and find someone who can take Jones' role in defence. Transitioning out the other 5 (Murphy, Newnes, Casboult, Simpson, Curnow) are manageable.
Mate, Jones is on fire and has been for a long time now. No need to replace him in a hurry.

I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.
Murphy and maybe Betts are the only two players there that may be tough to find replacements for. Even still we’ve got Fisher sitting out of the side at the moment who can definitely play well in the middle.

Betts has added something we haven’t had in years so he will be tough to replace. But I would imagine the club tries again for Papley, although he’ll probably cost more now.

Marchbank is out at the moment but can replace Jones long term.

Casboult? Really? He’s been good this year but he’s not suddenly irreplaceable. I’m sure a year or two ago everyone wouldn’t have even mentioned him. Charlie Curnow is a superior footballer and slots straight back in, the issue with him is keeping him on the park after a recent s**t run.

There’s still a few young players the club hasn’t given up on either. This idea that a club trying to go up the ladder should have no players to replace in their side and basically just loaded with 22 young blokes is fantasy stuff. It is constantly brought up on Bigfooty but it is never what happens to successful teams. Richmond didn’t just suddenly have 22 young blokes come good. Nor did the Dogs or Hawks.

Mate, Jones is on fire and has been for a long time now. No need to replace him in a hurry.

I don't disagree. But Jones is 29yo and my time frame was "the next couple of years". If the Blues don't have a guy ready to go in his position by the start of 2023 when Jones will be 32yo, it will be mismanagement of the list IMO.

There are still enough teams to play that I think we could beat to get to 10 wins. Therefore I think we can sneak into the finals. However, finishing just outside the 8 is still where I think we will finish with 8-9 wins.

I don't disagree. But Jones is 29yo and my time frame was "the next couple of years". If the Blues don't have a guy ready to go in his position by the start of 2023 when Jones will be 32yo, it will be mismanagement of the list IMO.
Ok - fair call, mate. I'm just a huge fan of Liam's and it's easy (for me, at least) to forget he's that old.

Murphy and Simpson I agree. Casboult and Jones are in career best form and have a few years left. But I agree with the sentiment. We do need to hit the trade table and free agency hard to get in quality footballers between the ages of 24-28 to supplement future losses. I dont think it's a problem that we have a senior core supporting the young talent.if our senior players weren't contributing the criticism would be that carlton lack leadership. The challenge will be to attract very good mature afl footballers. Not out of the realm of possibility. Murphy is past his best and Simpson can be replaced by a decent half back flanker. We do have docherty, sps and Williamson doing a good job back there.
Reality is every club has players to replace every year. It’s not a Carlton only problem.

If the club wins some games the next two years they’ll absolutely have some decent players wanting to join them so I don’t see any of the older crew as irreplaceable. We’re just used to nobody coming because the club has been so s**t. The moment sides like Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton start winning games players are drawn to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back