List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

With the rise of Perryman and Ash/ Cumming showing improvement I think Williams is a lot less essential for us now than 6 months ago. Williams going might keep Perryman and Hately, I think that's a really good result all things considered.

With the rise of Perryman and Ash/ Cumming showing improvement I think Williams is a lot less essential for us now than 6 months ago. Williams going might keep Perryman and Hately, I think that's a really good result all things considered.
The only thing I'd say, though, in favour of Williams vs Perryman is speed. However, if we look at Perryman replacing Shaw (where speed is less important and game smarts & positioning more important); and Ash/Cumming replacing Williams, then I'd probably accept that we have the existing pieces. I'm not convinced that Cumming will 'make it', but I reckonn Ash will - and Cumming might be (for the moment at least) a backup. I'd till be looking for another speedy back. I do look at Lachlan Jones & Joel Western; unfortunately they are in other clubs' academy systems.

The only thing I'd say, though, in favour of Williams vs Perryman is speed. However, if we look at Perryman replacing Shaw (where speed is less important and game smarts & positioning more important); and Ash/Cumming replacing Williams, then I'd probably accept that we have the existing pieces. I'm not convinced that Cumming will 'make it', but I reckonn Ash will - and Cumming might be (for the moment at least) a backup. I'd till be looking for another speedy back. I do look at Lachlan Jones & Joel Western; unfortunately they are in other clubs' academy systems.
Not just because I took him in the phantom draft earlier in the year, Charlie Byrne and Josh Clarke are good quality that should be available late 2nd/ early 3rd as General Defenders with a bit of zip. I agree re Cumming, I think if he's going to become a regular AFL player he needs a position change to Wing or Half forward. I have no doubt Ash makes it as a very good defender and Perryman moving to the backline more permanently in a Heater role makes sense.

Williams is a gun, and would be an asset to any side, but it is always at what cost, may have to let him go to keep others. We will miss him, but we would also miss the 2 or 3 talents that aren't on the same coin that would need to go to fit everyone in

Takes the kickouts does he not? Pretty decent indication of how the coaching staff view his skill levels I would have thought.
Shaw, Davis and Perryman take kick outs as well, none of those guys have exceptional skills in their current form

Oh sweet summer child
I'm sure if we polled Corr he considers himself a good kick, judging by some of his attempts over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw, Davis and Perryman take kick outs as well, none of those guys have exceptional skills in their current form
I think Perryman is the outlier in this group, I reckon he kicks really well, and mostly takes very good options.

I think Perryman is the outlier in this group, I reckon he kicks really well, and mostly takes very good options.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Perryman for example is in the top 3 field kicks in the side (along with Kelly and Cumming).
Perrymam is an outlier, he's not a bad kick but I wouldn't say he's top 3 in the side either

Perrymam is an outlier, he's not a bad kick but I wouldn't say he's top 3 in the side either

probably not in my top 3, but an excellent kick.

Perryman has become one of my favourites this year. He always seems to take good options.

If he is not leading the B&F he is second at worst

probably not in my top 3, but an excellent kick.

Perryman has become one of my favourites this year. He always seems to take good options.

If he is not leading the B&F he is second at worst
Can't think of any that have played with enough consistency to be challenging him tbh

Can't think of any that have played with enough consistency to be challenging him tbh
It'd have to be Perryman and Haynes a mile in front.

I'd have Perryman in front, and given it is coaching staff driven and consistency is rewarded I think that style of judging suits a Perryman type.

I'm sure if we polled Corr he considers himself a good kick, judging by some of his attempts over the years.
I particularly liked his early kickout in the Port game after we conceded the first point. He had a choice of the long receiver or the short receiver. He chose to kick precisely between them, where Boak was waiting to gleefully gobble up the mark & kick the first goal.

I particularly liked his early kickout in the Port game after we conceded the first point. He had a choice of the long receiver or the short receiver. He chose to kick precisely between them, where Boak was waiting to gleefully goggle up the mark & kick the first goal.
"Two good options - it makes perfect sense to split the difference!"

Hey guys, Just popping over as there is a lot of discussion on our board surrounding a few of your young lads. Williams and Caldwell are of extremely high interest but probably Caldwell is the main one being quite highly rated, saints fan as kid and on the fringes at GWS. What is his contract status, worth in a trade and is there a small possibility this could happen?

Hey guys, Just popping over as there is a lot of discussion on our board surrounding a few of your young lads. Williams and Caldwell are of extremely high interest but probably Caldwell is the main one being quite highly rated, saints fan as kid and on the fringes at GWS. What is his contract status, worth in a trade and is there a small possibility this could happen?
An interesting discussion, no doubt. Obviously, we fans would prefer to keep both of these guys. Certainly Zac, from what he's shown as being capable of with his speed and zip off half back or through the centre, and being a NSW rookie draft selection we would hate to lose. However, it may arguably be worth it to us if he leaves, given our likely ladder position. It seems likely that we won't feature at the pointy end of the season, so whereas a first round compo pick at 16-19 originally beckoned and was not value for him, something around 9-12 would be more adequate compensation for a FA move.

Obviously we'd also hate to lose Caldwell, who could be a future gun, and hopefully he gets plenty of opportunities over the remainder of the season and is happy to stay. COVID has made it all a bit more difficult, with no secondary level competition to play and develop in.

The whole situation around contracts/out-of-contracts - particularly in regards the Giants being a non-Victorian club - I find frustrating. If a player is out of contract, it seems Vic clubs claim a right to steal them for * all. But if they have a contract, the claim is we need to trade them due to salary cap and therefore they're worth * all. Essentially, everyone just wants to manufacture a rationale why every player is worth * all in a trade. I'd say that Caldwell is showing the promise that he did when he was selected in the first round, and is therefore worth a first round pick.

I think there would be a fair trade value for each of them.
We'll lose someone this period, not sure who it will be.

An interesting discussion, no doubt. Obviously, we fans would prefer to keep both of these guys. Certainly Zac, from what he's shown as being capable of with his speed and zip off half back or through the centre, and being a NSW rookie draft selection we would hate to lose. However, it may arguably be worth it to us if he leaves, given our likely ladder position. It seems likely that we won't feature at the pointy end of the season, so whereas a first round compo pick at 16-19 originally beckoned and was not value for him, something around 9-12 would be more adequate compensation for a FA move.

Obviously we'd also hate to lose Caldwell, who could be a future gun, and hopefully he gets plenty of opportunities over the remainder of the season and is happy to stay. COVID has made it all a bit more difficult, with no secondary level competition to play and develop in.

The whole situation around contracts/out-of-contracts - particularly in regards the Giants being a non-Victorian club - I find frustrating. If a player is out of contract, it seems Vic clubs claim a right to steal them for fu** all. But if they have a contract, the claim is we need to trade them due to salary cap and therefore they're worth fu** all. Essentially, everyone just wants to manufacture a rationale why every player is worth fu** all in a trade. I'd say that Caldwell is showing the promise that he did when he was selected in the first round, and is therefore worth a first round pick.

Re ZW - Would be a great addition for us with position flexibility, fits our age profile but not sure we could squeeze him in our cap. Do you know what his contract is worth & what he might be seeking on open market?

Re JC - I'd happily give up our first frankly which would be around 10-12 I guess. Think that will be a steal in the end. Love the kid!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back