List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ppollen

Development Coach
Mar 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
It seems likely that we won't feature at the pointy end of the season, so whereas a first round compo pick at 16-19 originally beckoned and was not value for him, something around 9-12 would be more adequate compensation for a FA move.
Although, I believe he's a restricted FA which could potentially mean we force a trade if we say that we intend to match any deal. That might make it a first round and a second round pick in return...?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
given our likely ladder position. It seems likely that we won't feature at the pointy end of the season,

I think if you look at the teams we've played and who we've got coming up, we'll still end up in the 8

Of Geelong, North, Bulldogs, Hawks, Collingwood, Port and Brisbane, I expected to be 3/4 or 4/3 (Wins against North, Hawks and Port locked in,Geelong flip of a coin, Dogs, Pies and Lions losses)
So while the opponents we've beat haven't been all the ones I expected I'm happy with what the results are, just gotta hope we can find some momentum when taking on the 'easy beats'

Think our biggest threats to come are Eagles, Bombers (if they get a few back) and Saints

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Re ZW - Would be a great addition for us with position flexibility, fits our age profile but not sure we could squeeze him in our cap. Do you know what his contract is worth & what he might be seeking on open market?

Re JC - I'd happily give up our first frankly which would be around 10-12 I guess. Think that will be a steal in the end. Love the kid!
Surely North will throw the kitchen sink at both these blokes.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

GWS Giants midfielder Josh Kelly has responded to speculation about his future, re-affirming his commitment to the club. A report in The Age this week revealed the extent of the Giants’ current salary cap squeeze, which could force the likes of Kelly and free agent Zac Williams out of the club.

But Kelly was unaware of where the latest report came from, highlighting the club’s culture of keeping the majority of players who’ve been subjected to big-money offers elsewhere in previous years. “I’m not too sure where it comes from,” Kelly told Fox Footy on Saturday. “For quite a while, the club has always had players linked to moving elsewhere and we’ve had a great history of keeping players and creating a culture that keeps players. We’re really proud of that as a team and that’s been established from day one. I’m a happy Giant that’s for sure. I’m happy here, we’re only a really good journey and I truly believe success is around the corner and we’ve just got to keep working towards that.”

Kelly becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the 2021 season.

:thumbsu:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No need to be rude ='(
You seem to fixate on one play and make judgements on a players game by that one play. Corr is actually having a career best season. On Friday he had 11 disposals at 90% DE and 7 spoils. His game against the lions was even better (21 disposals, 8 spoils, 13 rebound 50’s, 4 score involvements and 5 intercepts)

He is a key member of that back 6 and will hopefully be around for years to come. Good player

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
You seem to fixate on one play and make judgements on a players game by that one play. Corr is actually having a career best season. On Friday he had 11 disposals at 90% DE and 7 spoils. His game against the lions was even better (21 disposals, 8 spoils, 13 rebound 50’s, 4 score involvements and 5 intercepts)

He is a key member of that back 6 and will hopefully be around for years to come. Good player
Not denying he's a key part of our back 6 and having a great season, has consistently been in our best imo. I'm just not high on his kicking or disposal in general, too often attempts kicks that aren't in his capacity or kicks in between 2 options

Not denying he's a key part of our back 6 and having a great season, has consistently been in our best imo. I'm just not high on his kicking or disposal in general, too often attempts kicks that aren't in his capacity or kicks in between 2 options
I agree with this.
He is defending brilliantly. But he makes a lot of crucial turnovers. Too many. He and Davis are going backwards way more often than they should, making the next kick the same kick that they should have had, but 30 m closer to our own goal.

Shaw is making far more errors though. (He is also defending really well though)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Look I think you just made my point. Corr’s disposal efficiency for the season is 83%. I couldn’t be bothered doing the whole season for Whitfield but in the last month he has a de of 79%.
Most would agree Lachy is one of the best field kicks in the comp

Look I think you just made my point. Corr’s disposal efficiency for the season is 83%. I couldn’t be bothered doing the whole season for Whitfield but in the last month he has a de of 79%.
DE is the biggest waste of time when comparing players in different roles. Defenders get easier kicks so Corr should be getting compared to the likes of Davis or Taylor (and yes, Shaw). Whitfield plays through the middle a lot more so ends up under pressure a lot more, hence his DE drops correspondingly. Otherwise we'd be pointing out inside mids as being useless because they often have a DE% in the 60s (IIRC) when it's again a completely different role.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
DE is the biggest waste of time when comparing players in different roles. Defenders get easier kicks so Corr should be getting compared to the likes of Davis or Taylor (and yes, Shaw). Whitfield plays through the middle a lot more so ends up under pressure a lot more, hence his DE drops correspondingly. Otherwise we'd be pointing out inside mids as being useless because they often have a DE% in the 60s (IIRC) when it's again a completely different role.
On top of dlanod's point, take into account where Corr kicks, his most common disposal is a handball back or a kick sideways, he he wasn't in the high 70's/80's playing in a backline that actively looks to get the ball to better disposers (Whitfield, Kelly, Cogs, etc.) through safe disposal it'd be embarrassing.
I state again, when he takes on other kicks (like his kick outs when its not a long bomb) it's genuinely a 50/50 on whether it'll come off.
This isn't anything against Corr, it's not his job to be one of those good disposers, it's his job to kill the ball and keep opponents quiet, and he's done well at it

On top of dlanod's point, take into account where Corr kicks, his most common disposal is a handball back or a kick sideways, he he wasn't in the high 70's/80's playing in a backline that actively looks to get the ball to better disposers (Whitfield, Kelly, Cogs, etc.) through safe disposal it'd be embarrassing.
I state again, when he takes on other kicks (like his kick outs when its not a long bomb) it's genuinely a 50/50 on whether it'll come off.
This isn't anything against Corr, it's not his job to be one of those good disposers, it's his job to kill the ball and keep opponents quiet, and he's done well at it
I was going to write something similar to you too. You guys did a better job than I would have, so from me, what they said.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I guess to steer the discussion elsewhere, obviously we've got a few OOC players ( https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players )

What order of priority would you say we should be going in for our re-signings and who are you expecting to leave?

A lot of discussion about Caldwell and Hately, I'm hoping we retain Caldwell, think he'll be a top 20 player at some stage of his career, Hately on the other hand I hope we actively look to offload, I think he's a lesser BRad Crouch, nothing too great athletically, will be an accumlator that isn't too damaging and I think his value is highest now

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Capture - OOC.PNG

Obviously list size and TPP will impact the contract plan. If $ are reduced (and not an across the board reduction) then cheaper players may get picked up and a higher profile, more expensive player may lose out. Hopefully not.

So, my priorities would be: Cameron, Williams, Corr, Perryman, Caldwell, O'Halloran, Briggs.

Solid role players, retain if possible: de Boer, Lloyd, Cumming, Finlayson

Time to go: Shaw, Mumford, Sheridan

Rookie list, depends on what happens with list/$ (in order): Stein, Buckley, Reid, Sproule

Not sure, depends on situation: Hately, Langdon

Obviously the big risk is losing Zac Williams due to his cost versus other contracts including Jezza's - but I'd still hope to keep him.

Interesting that GWS has not recontracted the first round draftees, given we have normally done so quickly before. Was that our choice or their choice? Were we sick of getting burnt on having to sell kids with contracts? I would say that I would not be surprised if one of these three left, and seemingly the SA clubs are looking for someone. Only problem is Adelaide want Hately on the cheap. But he seems the most likely to go.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
View attachment 920823

Obviously list size and TPP will impact the contract plan. If $ are reduced (and not an across the board reduction) then cheaper players may get picked up and a higher profile, more expensive player may lose out. Hopefully not.

So, my priorities would be: Cameron, Williams, Corr, Perryman, Caldwell, O'Halloran, Briggs.

Solid role players, retain if possible: de Boer, Lloyd, Cumming, Finlayson

Time to go: Shaw, Mumford, Sheridan

Rookie list, depends on what happens with list/$ (in order): Stein, Buckley, Reid, Sproule

Not sure, depends on situation: Hately, Langdon

Obviously the big risk is losing Zac Williams due to his cost versus other contracts including Jezza's - but I'd still hope to keep him.

Interesting that GWS has not recontracted the first round draftees, given we have normally done so quickly before. Was that our choice or their choice? Were we sick of getting burnt on having to sell kids with contracts? I would say that I would not be surprised if one of these three left, and seemingly the SA clubs are looking for someone. Only problem is Adelaide want Hately on the cheap. But he seems the most likely to go.

Sam Reid - restricted free agent - 9 years service.

As a player this is his only his 7th year with us. He’s been retired, a coach, re-rookied, delisted, re-rookied again, promoted.

I suppose “service” covers coaching as well

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sam Reid - restricted free agent - 9 years service.

As a player this is his only his 7th year with us. He’s been retired, a coach, re-rookied, delisted, re-rookied again, promoted.

I suppose “service” covers coaching as well
In his case, oil change, new tyres, new bodywork, bumper replaced ... he's been serviced a lot! :D

Players off contract this year and what I think will happen
Aiden Corr- Attract some interest but stay
Daniel Llyod- Will stay if list sizes dont shrink to far
Harry Perryman- Interest will come but stay
Heath Shaw - Retire
Isaac Cumming- A chance to go, but think he'll prob stay
Jack Buckly- Think he'll be released
Jackson Hately- Unfortunately he might be the one we lose, hope not
Jake Stein- If list sizes get cut, he probably misses out
Jeremy Cameron- Think he stays
Jeremy Finlayson- A big chance he leaves, my gut says he stays
Jye Caldwell- They'll come for him, if he secures a spot, I think we keep him. but a defnite chance to lose
Kieran Briggs- He'll stay
Matt DeBoer- He'll stay
Sam Reid- He'll retire
Shane Mumford- He'll retire
Tommy Sheriden- He'll b released
Xavier O'Halloran- Another we are a chance to lose, If we keep both Caldwell and Hately, he probably moves on. I have a feeling it will be Hately that goes, and he stays
Zac Langdon- Think there will be interest in him. If he is outside our squad more often than not, he will probably leave for opportunity.
Zac Sproule- Will be released if list sizes reduce
Zac Williams- He is the main piece. If we lose him, we may be able to keep a few more players money wise, but opportunity might see them leave anyway. I think he stays.

*edit- the intent was to spark conversation to see what others will think will happen with our players off contract :)
This is what I think will happen

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
O'Halloran is more likely to stay I'd think, seems to have built some strong friendships and fit in well with the team. I liked him in his draft year, think he'll fill a Daniel Lloyd/Harry Perryman 'Mr. Fix it' role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back