List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiple clubs are circling Greater Western Sydney free agent Zac Williams, who has left a sizeable five-year contract offer from the Giants unsigned since last year as he weighs up his future.
GWS has been in contract discussions with the management of gun key forward Jeremy Cameron, another restricted free agent. Cameron – one of the highest-paid players in the competition this year due to his back-ended deal – is seeking a long-term deal, the Giants remaining confident all along of retaining him.
The Giants also have to recontract emerging second-year midfielder Jye Caldwell, a Victorian who is of interest to Melbourne clubs but who is settled and happy in Sydney. For the Giants, opportunity to play is often the main issue with young midfielders such as Caldwell, who has played senior football and impressed this year.
Midfielder Josh Kelly signed a two-year extension with an option for a further eight years – a commitment of 10 years by the Giants when he signed the deal. Kelly can exercise that contract next year if he chooses, or explore free agency.

I would be looking at ladhams from port, straight swap for hately or the big O from Brisbane.
Problem is leftover salary to spend if you sign willo and cameron.

You need to keep hill, when his body matures he will add pace, which is what you lack through the centre

And Briggs.

Would we even have considered Jacobs if Flynn didn’t do his knee last year? He was on the verge of a call-up when he went down.

I would be looking at ladhams from port, straight swap for hately or the big O from Brisbane.

You need to keep hill, when his body matures he will add pace, which is what you lack through the centre
Hill has already extended. WE DONT NEED A RUCK we have 2 ready to rock and roll supposedly in Flynn and Briggs, give them a ******* shot!!!!!

Williams has to be the number 1 priority to re-sign at the moment.

Ladhams has been shithouse against sides with good rucks. Paddy Ryder towelled him up a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to take a closer look at the Giants list and was quite taken back by what I found. Undoubtedly, this list is geared for the here & now, if it doesn't achieve the ultimate glory soon, it may be a little while before they are back up there in contention again.

THE PAST
(trade/delist/retire/phase out etc. over next 3-4yrs)

Adam Kennedy
Callan Ward
Daniel Lloyd
Heath Shaw
Lachlan Keeffe
Matt de Boer
Nick Haynes
Phil Davis
Sam Jacobs
Sam Reid
Shane Mumford

NOTE : Haynes is the youngest of that lot and will be 29 next year so there really isn't a lot of shelf-life amongst them. You could easily put a line through 2 or 3 of them at the end of this season.

THE PRESENT
(short to medium term options)

Aidan Corr
Jeremy Cameron
Josh Kelly
Lachie Whitfield
Matt Buntine
Stephen Coniglio
Toby Greene
Tommy Sheridan
Zac Langdon
Zac Williams

NOTE : was expecting there to be more in this mid-range age bracket, really surprised by this. Buntine is struggling to get a game and has to be considered a potential end of season casualty, Sheridan & Langdon are no certainties either.

THE FUTURE
(the base to build the team from going forward)

Brent Daniels
Harry Himmelberg
Harry Perryman
Jacob Hopper
Jeremy Finlayson
Sam Taylor
Tim Taranto
Tom Green

NOTE : some genuine quality within this emerging early-20's group but there isn't enough of them right now. Daniels is the main issue here for me, he averages 0.3 goals per game so if you are only 170cm tall, then you need to do something better than that as a small forward. Finlayson doesn't fill me with confidence and I can see him being used as a trade option to get someone who brings in a component currently missing from the team.

DEVELOPMENT DOZEN
(some will make, some won’t)

Ian Hill
Isaac Cumming
Jackson Hately
Jye Caldwell
Lachie Ash
Xavier O’Halloran

NOTE : Hately, Caldwell & Ash look like they will be goodúns, the jury's out on the others.

PENDING
(not enough info to make a definite call)

Callum Brown
Connor Idun
Jack Buckley
Jake Riccardi
Jake Stein
Kieren Briggs
Matthew Flynn
Nick Shipley
Tom Hutchesson
Zach Sproule

NOTE : 10 players on the list with virtually zero senior games to their name has to be a genuine concern for the future. With a reasonably large number of the older guys in the top category probably only being at the club for another 2-years max, some of these guys will be needed to step up their development in a hurry to help fill some of the voids.

Last edited:
I decided to take a closer look at the Giants list and was quite taken back by what I found. Undoubtedly, this list is geared for the here & now, if it doesn't achieve the ultimate glory soon, it may be a little while before they are back up there in contention again.

THE PAST

Adam Kennedy
Callan Ward
Daniel Lloyd
Heath Shaw
Lachlan Keeffe
Matt de Boer
Nick Haynes
Phil Davis
Sam Jacobs
Sam Reid
Shane Mumford

NOTE : Haynes is the youngest of that lot and will be 29 next year so there really isn't a lot of shelf-life amongst them. You could easily put a line through 2 or 3 of them at the end of this season.

THE PRESENT

Aidan Corr
Jeremy Cameron
Josh Kelly
Lachie Whitfield
Matt Buntine
Stephen Coniglio
Toby Greene
Tommy Sheridan
Zac Langdon
Zac Williams

NOTE : was expecting there to be more in this mid-range age bracket, really surprised by this. Buntine is struggling to get a game and has to be considered a potential end of season casualty, Sheridan & Langdon are no certainties either.

THE FUTURE

Brent Daniels
Harry Himmelberg
Harry Perryman
Jacob Hopper
Jeremy Finlayson
Tim Taranto
Tom Green

NOTE : some genuine quality within this emerging early-20's group but there isn't enough of them right now. Daniels is the main issue here for me, he averages 0.3 goals per game so if you are only 170cm tall, then you need to do something better than that as a small forward. Finlayson doesn't fill me with confidence and I can see him being used as a trade option to get someone in who brings in a component currently missing from the team.

DEVELOPMENT DOZEN

Ian Hill
Isaac Cumming
Jackson Hately
Jye Caldwell
Lachie Ash
Sam Taylor
Xavier O’Halloran

NOTE : Hately, Caldwell & Ash look like they will be goodúns, the jury's out on the others.

PENDING

Callum Brown
Connor Idun
Jack Buckley
Jake Riccardi
Jake Stein
Kieren Briggs
Matthew Flynn
Nick Shipley
Tom Hutchesson
Zach Sproule

NOTE : 10 players on the list with virtually zero senior games to their name has to be a genuine concern for the future. With a reasonably large number of the older guys in the top category probably only being at the club for another 2-years max, some of these guys will be needed to step up their development in a hurry to help fill some of the voids.

Taylor should be in the future not development zone.
He is best 22.

THE PAST

Adam Kennedy
Callan Ward
Daniel Lloyd
Heath Shaw
Lachlan Keeffe
Matt de Boer
Nick Haynes
Phil Davis
Sam Jacobs
Sam Reid
Shane Mumford

THE PRESENT

Aidan Corr
Jeremy Cameron
Josh Kelly
Lachie Whitfield
Matt Buntine
Stephen Coniglio
Toby Greene
Tommy Sheridan
Zac Langdon
Zac Williams

THE FUTURE

Brent Daniels
Harry Himmelberg
Harry Perryman
Jacob Hopper
Jeremy Finlayson
Tim Taranto
Tom Green

NOTE : some genuine quality within this emerging early-20's group but there isn't enough of them right now. Daniels is the main issue here for me, he averages 0.3 goals per game so if you are only 170cm tall, then you need to do something better than that as a small forward. Finlayson doesn't fill me with confidence and I can see him being used as a trade option to get someone in who brings in a component currently missing from the team.

DEVELOPMENT DOZEN

Ian Hill
Isaac Cumming
Jackson Hately
Jye Caldwell
Lachie Ash
Sam Taylor
Xavier O’Halloran

PENDING

Callum Brown
Connor Idun
Jack Buckley
Jake Riccardi
Jake Stein
Kieren Briggs
Matthew Flynn
Nick Shipley
Tom Hutchesson
Zach Sproule

Your going a bit early on Haynes in particular at 28 and maybe lessor extent Kennedy.

They are tradeable, but I would trade Cameron, Coniglio and Whitfield as well as others in to get more upside in the future

Your going a bit early on Haynes in particular at 28 and maybe lessor extent Kennedy.

They are tradeable, but I would trade Cameron, Coniglio and Whitfield as well as others in to get more upside in the future

Lol just re-signed Cogs and Whitfield so no. Cameron, while not having the best year, was Coleman winner last year and a crowd fav so I would say those 3 are untouchables.
We will be able to trade a few other players out that can get us hard workers or picks without destroying the talent we already have.

Next you’ll be suggesting we should trade Tobes.

Lol just re-signed Cogs and Whitfield so no. Cameron, while not having the best year, was Coleman winner last year and a crowd fav so I would say those 3 are untouchables.
We will be able to trade a few other players out that can get us hard workers or picks without destroying the talent we already have.

I think thats your problem.

They are not untouchable.

I would get Bontempelli, trade out Cameron, Coniglio, and Whitfield and your untouchables are Greene, Kelly and Taranto and rebuild from there with these your leaders with Bont and clear out a lot of your older ones/trade and rebuild for a tilt in 2-5 years.

Bont is 24, Kelly class , Greene is your heart and Taranto the young gun with your other youngsters emerging.

New leaders, new values, new hope.

refresh the place start again, and the older leaders moved on get some youngsters in to rejuventate the place.

I would trade Congilio to Freo for Hayden Young and extras to help fix the backline, trade Cameron to Bulldogs for Bontempelli , trade Davis, Ward and even Haynes to get McClean, and young Cody Weightman to start fixing your forward line. Trade Whitfield to Gold Coast and get some of their youngsters to improve your quality and depth

Change the way the players get paid all together flatten the list and make it a lot younger

Last edited:

I would get Bontempelli, trade out Cameron, Coniglio, and Whitfield and your untouchables are Greene, Kelly and Taranto and rebuild from there with these your leaders with Bont and clear out a lot of your older ones/trade and rebuild for a tilt in 2-5 years.

Bont is 24, Kelly class , Greene is your heart and Taranto the young gun with your other youngsters emerging.

New leaders, new values, new hope

Disagree completely. Our problem is coaching.

Whitfield and Cogs are not the problem and certainly not in the trade table.

We aren’t out of the window yet and have a Few retiring which will give us the coin to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree completely. Our problem is coaching.

Whitfield and Cogs are not the problem and certainly not in the trade table.

We aren’t out of the window yet and have a Few retiring which will give us the coin to play with.

I am not talking from a Richmond perspective because I am not chasing them but part of the problem must be culture and leadership and in terms of windows GWS needs a reset.

Its not about who is on the table. Its about how and who is going to win a premiership and if you don't have that you have nothing no matter whats on the table cause I will not be grabbing a seat.

How is GWS going to communicate change and a re-start, how is GWS going to separate the renewed period from the failures of the past?

I not having a crack at certain people cause I am too far away to tell but I would trade out Haynes not on performance but age being 28 in terms of your window possibilities.

Put it this way, no one in real contention without real problems underneath puts up the sort of performance that was dished up last night versus the Swans without Heeney and others.

I would trade out Kelly but I thought he showed enough last night to prove to me he is untouchable for GWS and given his age important for your clubs future.

I thought Kelly stood up a little last night in terms of on field leadership, Greene has done it regularly and Taranto is your youngster with the output and potential to provide leadership for your youngsters. They are your clear leaders but I wouldn't toss out your youngsters. Hately could be traded to Adelaide if you want picks because you are going to need to rebuild your forward line/backline and ruck department

Last edited:

Ignore him, he posts all sorts of random rubbish.

New leaders, new values, new hope.

refresh the place start again, and the older leaders moved on get some youngsters in to rejuventate the place.

I would trade Congilio to Freo for Hayden Young and extras to help fix the backline, trade Cameron to Bulldogs for Bontempelli , trade Davis, Ward and even Haynes to get McClean, and young Cody Weightman to start fixing your forward line. Trade Whitfield to Gold Coast and get some of their youngsters to improve your quality and depth

Change the way the players get paid all together flatten the list and make it a lot younger
If the Giants traded out Coniglio, Whitfield and Cameron, then brought in Bont and Hayden Young, their list manager should be shot

If the Giants traded out Coniglio, Whitfield and Cameron, then brought in Bont and Hayden Young, their list manager should be shot

Ha ha, the list manager would have to get Bontempelli for Cameron as part of the trade and Hayden Young would only be part of the Coniglio trade while obviously you need picks and players from Gold Coast of quality from Gold Coast for Whitfield. They will not offer you Rowell but they should be able to provide you with something equitable and young including possibly picks.

You do not want Cameron to go to a club for practically nothing do you? So you are going to have to give something to get something and you are going to have to give your youngsters a reason to believe the future is bright and real and the reason for development and growth going forward is purposely and real so they stick with you even if you don't offer million dollar salaries!! The youngsters have got to buy into your clubs development and growth path towards multiple premierships and Bontempelli would help with that. Bulldogs need forwards and backs otherwise they will not win a thing

Ha ha, the list manager would have to get Bontempelli for Cameron as part of the trade and Hayden Young would only be part of the Coniglio trade while obviously you need picks and players from Gold Coast of quality from Gold Coast for Whitfield. They will not offer you Rowell but they should be able to provide you with something equitable and young including possibly picks.

You do not want Cameron to go to a club for practically nothing do you? So you are going to have to give something to get something and you are going to have to give your youngsters a reason to believe the future is bright and real and the reason for development and growth going forward is purposely and real so they stick with you even if you don't offer million dollar salaries!! The youngsters have got to buy into your clubs development and growth path towards multiple premierships and Bontempelli would help with that. Bulldogs need forwards and backs otherwise they will not win a thing
Dogs need talls so they would trade their captain, who also happens to be the 2019 AFLCA winner and their best player?

And the Giants trade away Whitfield and Coniglio, only replacing them with Bont? No matter how you rate all 3, no one could objectively rate Bont as being worth more to a team as a player than both Whitfield and Coniglio combined

Dogs need talls so they would trade their captain, who also happens to be the 2019 AFLCA winner and their best player?

And the Giants trade away Whitfield and Coniglio, only replacing them with Bont? No matter how you rate all 3, no one could objectively rate Bont as being worth more to a team as a player than both Whitfield and Coniglio combined

who is your best player?

Who said I rated Bont worth more than Coniglio and Whitfield? Bont is 24, Coniglio and Whitfield is 26 and Kelly, Taranto and most of your younger talent are 24 and younger. Is that not where your next premiership is coming from?

Whether you like it or not AFL HQ wants success for GWS so they will not be happy if you slowly fade away for 10 years even if Gold Coast might shoot up into premiership calculations. AFL HQ wants the revenue increase from your market so they will want action even if some are not motivated.

I understand the value you have for Bont but the Bulldogs have no forward line and no backline so without improvement they are no chance. Bontempelli could leave anyway in a few years. Think captaincy. What about the guy that left Geelong as captain.

Bulldogs have mids galore including young B Smith as well as Macrae and Dunkley amongst others. Whether you like it or not Keath and your new forward addition is not going to be enough and give another few years Gold Coast will zoom past you

Last edited:
who is your best player?

Who said I rated Bont worth more than Coniglio and Whitfield?

Whether you like it or not AFL HQ wants success for your club so they will not be happy if you slowly fade away for 10 years even if Gold Coast might shoot up into premiership calculations. AFL HQ wants the revenue increase from your market so they will want action even if some are not motivated
I just don't see why GWS would trade away 3 of their best players? If they want picks/trade currency, there's a number of kids like Hately, Caldwell, O'Halloran, etc. that could all net some good returns. Giants need a new head coach in my opinion - despite Coniglio being their captain, Cameron and Whitfield should be even more untouchable than he is. GWS' problem isn't talent or holes in the playing list

I just don't see why GWS would trade away 3 of their best players? If they want picks/trade currency, there's a number of kids like Hately, Caldwell, O'Halloran, etc. that could all net some good returns. Giants need a new head coach in my opinion - despite Coniglio being their captain, Cameron and Whitfield should be even more untouchable than he is. GWS' problem isn't talent or holes in the playing list
They would trade them out to get better players and improve their chances to win a premiership.

In my opinion, Kelly and Greene are there best players and they stay.

Having some of your best players is meaningless if your not contending for a premiership. Your biggest asset is AFL HQ and they want revenue increase and improved premiership projections

Caldwell, Halloran are closer to GWS premiership window. AFL HQ want the money meaning they want the club to be on the path and contending to get the numbers up, not going through the motions funding expensive salary payments

Cameron is 27, time is running out and what if he leaves to Geelong for virtually nothing. What if he gets an injury, look at Patton? Should thankful he has not suffered major injuries yet and still has currency. How much money will AFL HQ lose then if Cameron exits for minimal compo and will they shift the franchise?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & I always suggest that that no player is untradeable.

However, trading out key senior players just for the sake of it is reckless & irresponsible.

As for Haynes, all I'm pointing out is that he is now one of the veterans of the team. I doubt many footy followers would have picked him as being 28 right now.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion & I always suggest that that no player untradeable.

However, trading out key senior players just for the sake of it is reckless & irresponsible.

As for Haynes, all I'm pointing out is that he is now one of the veterans of the team. I doubt many footy followers would have picked him as being 28 right now.

You trade senior players out before junior players. Its called window management and consult with Riccuito of Adelaide.

Haynes is a gun but he is 28.

Caldwell might play in 4 premierships for GWS. Haynes plays in four premierships for GWS?? Unlikely

AFL HQ knows its hard selling 5 premierships for Haynes at GWS to fans, thats just the market reality and father time catches up with everyone including the greats

This is not Supercoach, you don't just trade guys out who have committed to the club long term and are AA levels of talent. One that doesn't get talked about though is Hopper. I think him and Tom Green are too similar to play in the same side and our midfield is a bit too one paced at the moment and overloaded on inside mids. He would have very good trade currency although I don't think we would want to do it this year given the lack of exposure for U/18's, I don't rate draft picks highly for this year.

This is not Supercoach, you don't just trade guys out who have committed to the club long term and are AA levels of talent. One that doesn't get talked about though is Hopper. I think him and Tom Green are too similar to play in the same side and our midfield is a bit too one paced at the moment and overloaded on inside mids. He would have very good trade currency although I don't think we would want to do it this year given the lack of exposure for U/18's, I don't rate draft picks highly for this year.

Thats the trouble with your values.

Its not about commitment, its about winning premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back