Prediction Future Free Agency Targets [aka the Petracca, Toby Greene & Thomas Green discussion]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baker is looking like an automatic selection to me. Rarely puts in a bad one, really clean ball handler, good foot skills and cracks in.
Reckon he’d make a good fist of it as a small forward has all the tools
Fair, it's hard to knock him.

Who comes out of that side? I can't drop anyone cause I prefer to have the deeper midfield...

I reckon he'll go again, still absolutely up to it. No reason why we need to push him out the door and, as a reasonably high earning footy player, wouldn't you wanna keep bringing in that decent coin whilst you still can?

I reckon he'll go 1 more at the very least.
There’s a few from other clubs Bachars vintage signing 1 year contracts.
I’m a yes it’s a long season and you need depth. His best is still excellent and leg speed kicking depth etc hasn’t deserted him

I reckon he'll go again, still absolutely up to it. No reason why we need to push him out the door and, as a reasonably high earning footy player, wouldn't you wanna keep bringing in that decent coin whilst you still can?

It’s his decision- but we don’t want champions to wallow- he has other interests now

Baker is looking like an automatic selection to me. Rarely puts in a bad one, really clean ball handler, good foot skills and cracks in.
Reckon he’d make a good fist of it as a small forward has all the tools
Except pace. He's in his right spot.

Fair, it's hard to knock him.

Who comes out of that side? I can't drop anyone cause I prefer to have the deeper midfield...
Short.

Here's the difference between us and the Hawks.

In 2013, the first year of their threepeat, they traded picks 18 and 19 (Buddy compo) for McEvoy, picks 24 and 59. They drafted Hartung with 24, Garlett with 38, and Sicily with 56, upgrading Ceglar with pick 59 and Will Langford with 71. None of the players they rookied ever played a game.
In 2017, we traded the pick 15 we got for Lids for picks 20 and 25, drafted Higgins with 17, CJ with 20, Balta with 25, used later picks to pay for Naish at 34, got Miller at 63, rookied Baker, and got Egg as a Category B rookie.

In 2014, they brought in Frawley as a free agent, traded picks 19 and 40 for O'Rourke, and traded out Cheney, Lowden, picks 43, 47, 59 for 31, 50, 68. They drafted Howe (31), Miles (49), Pittonet (50). They rookied Hardisty (pick 18, after we got Short at 11 and before we got George at 29), Miller-Lewis at 36 (Lambert 46), Lachlan Langford (53) and Grimley (65).
In 2018, we brought in Lynch as a free agent (lost Conca as one for no compo), traded Cellis, Miles and our 2019 3rd-rounder for Gold Coast's 2019 3rd-rounder (moving from the end to the start of R3 while dumping two surplus players and their average wages), traded Lloyd and got his average wage off the books for pick 64, and traded Stengle for pick 68, which we swapped for Geelong's 2019 4th-rounder that we ultimately didn't use, so we gave away our rookie for nothing. We drafted RCD (20), Ross (43), Turner (58), English (62), rookied Aarts, re-rookied Chol, and rookied Stack with the SSP.

In 2015, they lost Suckling as a free agent and got an end of second round pick. They traded Jed Anderson and picks 38 and 40 to Norf for picks 15 and 55, traded in Jack Fitzpatrick for pick 94, and swapped picks 55 and 58 with GWS for pick 48. So for once they improved their draft position and not only kept their first-rounder for the first time in three years, got another one. They drafted Burton (later swapped to Port in Wingard deal) at 19, Kieran Lovell (who?) at 22, Hardwick (44), and rookied Luke Surman, Kade Stewart, Alex Woodward and the Irishman Glass.
In 2019, we got Pickett in the mid-season draft, lost Ellis as a free agent and got an end of second round pick. We traded Butler for pick 56. We drafted Dow (21), Cumberland (43), Martyn (44), swapped pick 45 (our GC 3rd-rounder) at the draft for pick 46 and St Kilda's 2020 2nd-rounder and still got Ralphsmith - the bloke we wanted - at 46, and drafted Biggie at 54.

So, in the years they won a hat-trick of flags, the young talent Hawthorn brought in was: Sicily, Howe, Hardwick. That's it. Burton's gone.
In our three years of two flags and a minor premiership, we brought in Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Balta, Naish, Baker, Egg, RCD, Ross, Stack, Dow and a few other yet to be provens (yes, neither are RCD or Dow, but signs are good). We also turned our end of 3rd-round 2018 pick into St Kilda's 2020 2nd-round pick - so a pick in the mid-50s to a pick around 25-30, for essentially nothing.

Then look at what they did after their dynasty in a desperate attempt to keep it alive. In 2016, they got pick 23 for Brad Hill, which they then packaged up with their 2017 first-rounder, plus pick 36, to get picks 10 and 68 from St Kilda. They then traded pick 10 and their 2017 second-rounder for O'Meara. Hill, a first-rounder (ended up being pick 7 - Hunter Clark), and two 2nd-rounders for O'Meara. St Kilda drafted Ben Long with 23 and Josh Battle with 39 (pick 36 after academy picks etc.) Hawthorn's 2017 2nd-rounder ended with West Coast, who used it for Liam Ryan. So, instead of O'Meara, they could have had Clark, Long, Battle and Ryan. Wow.

In 2017, they traded picks 34, 61 and a 2018 4th-rounder for Impey and pick 67. Ok, that's a decent trade. In 2018, they traded a 4th-rounder for Scully but took on his salary. They traded Burton, picks 15, 35, and a 2019 4th-rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd-rounder. With pick 15, Port took Duursma. Pick 35 became pick 40 and Tom Joyce for GC, but could have been Jack Ross. So instead of Wingard they could have had Burton, Duursma, Ross, a few more picks, and lots more salary cap room.
Their 2019 3rd-rounder for Scrimshaw and GC's 2019 4th-rounder was a bargain. Yay.

So, even after their dynasty was over, they had the opportunity to rebuild with Clark, Long, Battle, Ryan, Burton, Duursma, Ross. Instead they have O'Meara, Wingard and Scully and their large salaries, with a 31-year-old McEvoy instead of a 25-year-old Blake Acres or Zach Merrett (can't really bag them for that though, given McEvoy played in two flags).

They are a cautionary tale.

No compo for concs doesn't sound right

Would be surprised if Houli doesn’t go around again as his form suggests he has more left in him. If him retiring is on the cards I’d like to see us have a crack at Rory Laird. Adelaide FC isn’t a happy place and at 26 turning 27, a chance at success with a new club might appeal
Can second this, was/is a gun, can imagine he'll flourish with us. A hard nut 30-possession half backer, good replacement for Houli you'd reckon. May still want him even if Houli stays, is probably an upgrade on Short. Depends what we'd need to give up.

I reckon Bachar will play for as long as his calfs hold out...

Doesn’t really want to leave the pies and may well be damaged goods once his legal issues play out later this year.
Would be great reading on the pies board if it happened though.

Part of the humour would be he was a Richmond supporter growing up. De Goey coming home to Richmond would just add salt to the wound of Magpie Tom Lynch rejecting Collingwood to come here. He'd cost too much and it won't happen, but still it would be hysterically funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the humour would be he was a Richmond supporter growing up. De Goey coming home to Richmond would just add salt to the wound of Magpie Tom Lynch rejecting Collingwood to come here. He'd cost too much and it won't happen, but still it would be hysterically funny.
Just offer him $900 x 5 for the Lol's

Colonwood will have to match and blow their cap apart

With the recent success of our cast offs , now locks in senior teams ea week
Ellis
Butler
Conca
Lloyd injured at mo
Townsend
And now Stengle , 18p on weekend
I think dozy recruiters will be looking at our list a little more closely . Our talls in particular will be of interest. Early days but I’m thinking we trade out premiership ruckman soldo for a young GWS , Freo or GC mid . Can’t be expensive though

Last edited:
With the recent success of our cast offs , now locks in senior teams ea week
Ellis
Butler
Conca
Lloyd injured at mo
Townsend
And now Stengle , 18p on weekend
I think dozy recruiters will be looking at our list a little more closely . Our talls in particular will be of interest. Early days but I’m thinking we trade out premiership ruckman soldo for a young GWS , Freo or GC mid . Can’t be expensive though
Totally agree, soldo has come a long way but to me he’s the most expendable of the 3 rucks

Totally agree, soldo has come a long way but to me he’s the most expendable of the 3 rucks
Not sure there would be much interest in Soldo TBH. He's raw but lets be honest he's shown very little bar being able to get a lot of (mostly average) hitouts and some aggression at the ball and man.

Would be worth little in a trade.

Not sure there would be much interest in Soldo TBH. He's raw but lets be honest he's shown very little bar being able to get a lot of (mostly average) hitouts and some aggression at the ball and man.

Would be worth little in a trade.
Yep, can’t argue that, I think we’d have to throw in a decent pick as well to even get in the conversation of trading with gws

Interesting today on SEN they were talking about clubs chasing out of contract players and offering big $$ despite the uncertainty of the salary cap next year. Apparently some clubs are being very bold and going all out for players that they see as gettable.

We were mentioned as being the opposite to that and not offering contracts until we know what the cap will be in 21. The comment was made that we are pretty tight atm. Assuming that’s partly due to Rance still being on the books

Can’t be that tight really if we’re linked too Moore and crouch earlier in the year

As for Brodie if we get him at a cheap price could be a big win he could come in and play games and give rcd more time to develop

Hopefully we start getting better prices for our depth I know we give them away for a reason because it helps attract players as well since it shows we have their best interests at heart

Lloyd dogs leading goal kicker last year

Conca solid best 22 when fit at freo helping lead the kids

Miles helped protect some of the young suns boys while they developed

Butler is probably All Australian atm

Brandon Ellis best 22 playing solid footy at the suns

Wombat Stengle good game last weekend

Towner best 22 at Essendon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back