Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

You know who has a chance to influence the game more than the umps? The players. For four quarters. Get over it, umpires make mistakes but they aren't influencing results.
Cough *Grand Finals*

Also, does anyone know why references to free kicks after disposal or downfield free kicks are no longer in the current Laws of Australian Football?

If ever anyone was in any doubt that umpires can influence games, watch the last 5 minutes of this game.
Downfield frees ignored, deliberate OOB’s, clear HTB’s ignored, then the absolute joke of a free to Car with 17 seconds left.
Magnificent kick by Newnes, but if he’d missed I’m sure the umpires would have found a way to give him another go.
Just disgraceful, and almost worthy of match fixing investigations. (Late edit: crossout, unfair on my part)
(and no, I don’t gamble, there‘s no ulterior motive here)
How on earth has our game come to this?

Exhibit 1 - west Coast v Carlton last week.

I think people are getting caught up in the moment go and rewatch the two Fremantle pushes in the back they were both pushed before they kicked the ball that’s the reason they weren’t payed down field a bit different to the last one were the Carlton player was knocked over after kicking the ball hence the down field!
This makes no sense to me. So, we're saying it's ok to push a player that is kicking it, but once he's kicked it, that's an issue. It makes no sense.

I can't remember how the umpires impacted the 2007 grand final. Can you remind me how they influenced the biggest Grand Final defeat in history?
That's OK, selective memory is very selective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18.1.2 Awarding Free Kicks Unless otherwise stated in these Laws, a Free Kick can be awarded at any location on the Arena and shall be taken where it is awarded or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team. For the avoidance of doubt, Free Kicks awarded outside the Playing Surface will be taken at the nearest location on the Boundary Line or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

Where is this in the current laws of the game?

Lots of people are also referring to the wikipedia entry for the rules of AFL and quoting " ""The free kick is awarded at the spot where the kick or handpass lands or is first possessed, to the nearest player to the spot (unless the disposal is backwards, or the ball lands out of bounds or through for a behind, in which case the free kick is awarded to the infringed player at the spot of the infringement"

However neither of the above are in the current laws of the game:

I give up. There's not even an objective set of rules I can find to sort this out. What a mess the AFL has become.

Free kicks get given to the wrong player all the time

yeah, it’s not like the ump had a premonition that Newnes was the chosen one who was most likely to kick the goal.

the free kick was dubious, but otherwise everything was fine, I’ve got no problem with the down field being taken from where the ball crossed the line, makes sense.

The player jumped in the air to smother the ball, it was incidental contact, free kick was a disgrace and then they don’t even know the down the field rules and then they get suck in with the wrong player kicking it.
Longuir said basically the same thing about the free kick, Brayshaw was trying to smother ball and made contact

The ball left the field of play after ThE contact was made. It’s Beside the point anyway. It’s about the WHEN the player made contact with Docherty, which was after he kicked it. That alone is what determines the whether it is downfield or “as he kicked it”.

Downfield is paid to where the ball landed Or, in this instance, where it exited the field of play.

It was adjudicated correctly.
have a look at the replay and then tell me where the ball went out of bounds.. pretty much right over top of the 50m arc and boundary line..

a carlton player (no.40) was right at that point and watched it go out... he even stands the mark thinking it is a freo free kick from there for oobotf..

then when the ump says its a downfield free all of a sudden the mark for newnes’s kick is set 10-15m closer to goal... he shouldve been kicking for goal from outside 50 with a freo player manning the mark on the 50m arc.

its clear as day if you watch the replay.

The player jumped in the air to smother the ball, it was incidental contact, free kick was a disgrace and then they don’t even know the down the field rules and then they get suck in with the wrong player kicking it.
For an example If I go to punch a ball and miss the ball and hit a player in the head instead the fact it was incidental or accidental makes no difference it’s still a free kick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back