Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the last two minutes again..

1. Mckay takes his shot moving off the line of the mark OVER THE BOUNDRY LINE

2. Docherty plays on, THE UMPIRES CALL PLAY ON WHEN DOCHERTY IS OVER THE BOUNDRY LINE in front of not one, but TWO umpires looking directly at him

3. Dochertys kick was going out on the full after the non free kick was awarded. So even it is to be awarded downfield it surely has to be when the ball was last in the field of play. In that case the man on the mark had to be at worst on the 50m line. Or as far as 60m out.

4. Gibbons was closest to the ball, was his kick.

Farcical, cheating umpiring.

ok great, let’s cancel our last goal after the siren but let’s also cancel the 2 freo goals in the first quarter that we’re just as bad decisions.

I mean let’s have a consistently umpired match, not just a consistent last 1mjn of the match.

We agreed then?

1. Wasn't 100% on that but ok
2. You can play on across the boundry line? Seriously you are going to defend that? Show me the rule book stating that.
My understanding is that you can if you run in a straight line back into play but I'm not exactly sure on the interpretation on how far and how far off the original line of the mark, for example I don't think you could run 20m along the wing out of bounds before kicking, it becomes a grey area.

20.3 DISPOSAL FROM OUT OF BOUNDS
20.3.1 Bringing the Football Back Into Play
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick and attempts to bring the football back into play or is called to play on from beyond the Boundary Line must bring the football back into play.
20.3.2 Moving in One Direction
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick may bring the football back into play from outside the Playing Surface beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

The only incorrect call was that it should have been Gibbons.

But this happens nearly every game where it wasn't necessarily the closest player takes the kick. Reason we are criticising this one is the result after.

There were worst decisions during the game, including 2 frees in 1st qrt to Freo that resulted in goals, Casboult HTB and Cripps not being pinged for HTB

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

ok great, let’s cancel our last goal after the siren but let’s also cancel the 2 freo goals in the first quarter that we’re just as bad decisions.

I mean let’s have a consistently umpired match, not just a consistent last 1mjn of the match.

We agreed then?

How you can compare 4 suspect decisions in 10 seconds with anything else in that game is amazing.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you can if you run in a straight line back into play but I'm not exactly sure on the interpretation on how far and how far off the original line of the mark, for example I don't think you could run 20m along the wing out of bounds before kicking, it becomes a grey area.

20.3 DISPOSAL FROM OUT OF BOUNDS
20.3.1 Bringing the Football Back Into Play
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick and attempts to bring the football back into play or is called to play on from beyond the Boundary Line must bring the football back into play.
20.3.2 Moving in One Direction
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick may bring the football back into play from outside the Playing Surface beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

I take it as the player has to take the shortest possible path to reenter the field of play. I cannot recall a single instance when an AFL player has been allowed to carry the ball outside of play. It should have been a ball up the second he played on out of bounds.

I take that rule to mean he can come in perpendicular (for example) to cross the boundary line and into play backwards of the mark. Such as taking a snapshot at goal. Otherwise this rule would be completely ******ed. Are you allowed to pick the ball up near the fence and than just gallop down the line 40m in a straight line, take a couple of bounces while you are at it? Absurd. If anyone tried to do what Docherty did inside the field of play, it would never be allowed. Umpires are always sending players back when they try to play on and are off the line. He should not have been allowed to do what he did.
Yeah I'm not sure of the exact interpretation of how far you can run in particular directions because as you say it could become ridiculous when running boundary side of the mark.

Inside the field you can play on as long as you start from the mark or directly behind the mark in line with the goals. The umpire only calls the player back if he has picked up the ball from a position in front or more than a metre or so to the side of the mark. I think where he picked it up and started from was ok, you can see the ball go over the line and continue in that direction to the trainer which is where he picked up the ball.

Read the laws of the game, it does not distinguish before or after disposal, it just reads that "the kick taken at the spot which is the greatest penalty for the offending team" which should have been downfield.

If the free kick is for an infringement before the disposal then where the ball ends up doesn’t matter. After the kick it’s downfield. It’s been officiated that way forever.

Umps are disgraceful and need to be seriously looked up before they destroy the sport. Nobody knows what the hell is going on anymore. Not even supporters who watch every game have any idea of how events are going to be officiated. Anyone got a clue what constitutes HTB anymore? Throws all throughout the games and my new favourite of when you get taken to ground the appropriate action seems to be just placing the ball on the ground to dispose of it.

Happy with the 4 points but its getting to the point of actually destroying the spectacle of the sport.

I take it as the player has to take the shortest possible path to reenter the field of play. I cannot recall a single instance when an AFL player has been allowed to carry the ball outside of play. It should have been a ball up the second he played on out of bounds.
I'm not sure that it has to be the shortest possible path, I thought just a straight line back into play. I've definitely seen others play on out of bounds but maybe not carry the ball as far as that. The umps often give a bit of leeway with setting marks on the boundary line, maybe it was a case of near enough to the line of the mark was good enough. Will be interesting to see how they rule it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure that it has to be the shortest possible path, I thought just a straight line back into play. I've definitely seen others play on out of bounds but maybe not carry the ball as far as that. The umps often give a bit of leeway with setting marks on the boundary line, maybe it was a case of near enough to the line of the mark was good enough. Will be interesting to see how they rule it.

They'll cover their ass is what they'll do.

You know who has a chance to influence the game more than the umps? The players. For four quarters. Get over it, umpires make mistakes but they aren't influencing results.
Exactly. Carlton had all the play except for the first quarter pretty much. If Freo don’t want to lose on a “bad” decision then don’t let it come to that.

Since when the has AFL become a non contact game
They’ve been paying those soft s**t frees for years after a player gets hit after he kicks it. Don’t act like it’s some new thing.

That one I felt was one of the more obvious ones you could pay. At least he actually got him after he kicked it. The umpires love pulling out rubbish ones where a player hits the kicker right as they’re kicking which is ridiculously stupid to be a free unless they got them high.

See pictures below. The deliberate out of bounds and the mark should have been set in front of the interchange bench. Docherty is still out of bounds and does not kick the ball until he is well down the line.

He should have been required to go back and kick over the mark or it should have been whistle blown and a throw in. Have seen it paid before where someone runs off their line while outside the boundary and is called a throw in.
View attachment 936832
Why did you just draw a penis from Docherty towards Mzungu?

Tell you what guys.

Let’s cancel that last gifted shot to us that was given 50m out over the boundary line after the siren, If we can cancel out the 2 gifted shots given to Freo in the first quarter (one of which was 10m our directly in front)

More than happy to take a consistently umpired match throughout the game, not just the last seconds of a game but the whole game.

Are you also cancelling out the Casboult goal for push in the back and the Cottrell goal for a clear throw from Cripps? Or do we just pick and choose.

It was an awfully umpired match in an awfully umpired season and that last free kick takes the cake. Freo only have themselves to blame though, they played very poorly from QT on and should’ve been put away but for some inaccurate kicking.

Don’t think we’ll see a downfield free kick for an attempted smother for the rest of the year and by god I hope we don’t. Ludicrous decision, got caught up in the drama.

Exactly. Carlton had all the play except for the first quarter pretty much. If Freo don’t want to lose on a “bad” decision then don’t let it come to that.
Pretty sure you were squealing last week as your side struggled to get a kick in the second half.

Read the laws of the game, it does not distinguish before or after disposal, it just reads that "the kick taken at the spot which is the greatest penalty for the offending team" which should have been downfield.
They paid in the back because they were pushed as they kicked. Therefore like any other regular free kick it is at the spot it occurred. They weren’t downfield frees so not sure why you’re quoting downfield rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back