Autopsy vs Collingwood - Round 13 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The Filth's game plan tonight speaks volumes about our greatest weakness - kicking. Buckley's message would have been along the lines - kick it into the corridor at all costs because if we turn it over they won't hurt us on the rebound.

It was so obvious.
When did they become the filth?

Can someone tell Zurhaar he isn’t a key forward. Don’t effing fly when they do.

We miss so much when we can't be at the games. I'd like to be see what work Zurhaar is doing off the ball, his movement and positioning etc before the ball comes in. Seems to be playing from behind when one-on-one but not making an impact as well as flying for pack marks also to little effect.
Not too concerned as there is a lot to like about him. His development over the next year or so (along with Larkey, LDU & Scott) could have a fair say on how much we can improve as a team.

Ball-use continues to be a serious problem but a lot of that comes from positioning on the offensive and confidence.

Watching the game closely we make it so glaringly obvious where the ball is going (i.e kicking it long or hospital handballs that just invite pressure) and rather than creating the play, we simply constantly wait for the ball stationary. <-- this literally kills any chance of the ball reaching our F50. This is probably why our forwards are sometimes not in front. They don't expect the ball to come in when there's a high chance of a turnover. But when it somehow gets past, we are caught out with barely any movement. It looks really conservative.

Whenever we do get a break away from the contest, we look too often for an option rather than knowing the situation and taking on the kick. End result? Pinned or turnover.

I can't recall a play where we simply had them done for pace or good ball movement. I just think the lads weren't ballsy enough to go that extra step.

We also take a ridiculous amount of time to get it forward looking for possession-based football. When confidence is shot and we're losing, sometimes it's better to break the shackles and run in numbers. Get them to be more defensively accountable.

Not surprised by the result considering the level of inexperience out there tonight, but the lack of run from a 9-day break is a concern. I expected a bit more dare and more exciting football.

Anyway, in saying that, kids showed a lot to like. Some glimpses of promise(Xerri grab, Mahony in the contests, McKay etc.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU had 13 kicks and I reckon most of them were on his right foot and I’m pretty sure he is a left footer.

I think he is a right footer but he is pretty good on both sides. He will be fine, there just isn't much class around him, I am sure he feels compelled to have to do something special because it isn't going to come from all the concrete boots around him.

One piece of advice from Bobby Charlton:

‘You don’t score if you don’t shoot.’

Our forwards wanted a written note from Rhyce before they’d take a shot.

Dunno how many times we had clean possession 20-30 metres out and they went for that extra, stupid handball.

We didn’t have a half forward line tonight. Which meant we didn’t have a functioning full forward line.

We belted them around the ball all night, if it wasn’t for Marley’s ludicrous turnover at the start of the last quarter who knows what could have happened as we’d won (yet another) nice clearance.

One piece of advice from Bobby Charlton:

‘You don’t score if you don’t shoot.’

Our forwards wanted a written note from Rhyce before they’d take a shot.

Dunno how many times we had clean possession 20-30 metres out and they went for that extra, stupid handball.
Too much remembering instructions. Shaw will get better at not making the rules when forward so restrictive. Also, very little space was created in the forward 50

That was a regression from last week. Allergic to the corridor football, no risk taking, no creativity. We have no defense to the front and centre goals kicked by teams and we are incapable of being front and centre ourselves on the odd foray forward. There’s plenty here praising Mahoney and I’m loathe to go hard on young and inexperienced players, so, can someone here tell me what he offers OUR team. Goal kicker-no. Possession getter-no. Speedy/fast- no. Size- no. Yes he competes and tries hard and may be courageous but until we raise our standards as a club in what we expect from players at this level we are going nowhere. For me Mahoney isn’t the problem but symptomatic of the problems we’ve created for 10 years now. I don’t see one redeeming feature of his play that says ‘elite’ AFL footballer. Again I’m not trying to crucify this kid and I’m inviting answers here because I’m a little concerned my eyesight may be failing me.

Our key forwards and mid forwards are highly disfunctional as a unit.

Dangerous individually but have seemingly no ability to identify and implement a block of screen. Was very evident last week as well.

Will come in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back