Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a nice win on so many levels:
1. Beating Carlton - that's always good.
2. Snuffing out Calton's final's hopes for 2020
3. Proving the critics wrong
4. Keeping them goalless in the second half
5. Finally looking fast and confident again.
6. Josh Thomas repaying Bucks's faith
7. Cox looking likely again
8. Taylor Adams.....what can I say? Superb springs to mind.
9. Daicos's 4 quarters
10. Pendles - sublime under pressure
11. Quaynor's second half
12. Moore's second half
13. Elliot's best game as a mid.
14. Almost forgot......finally drawing level for wins against the filth; 127 each with 4 draws.
I could go on, but that was a very satisfying win against the odds and might just turn our season around.

4 points in the 2nd half.

Few cheap goals in the first half. They should have scored below 30.

We missed 3-4 pretty easy shots as well, Stevo missed two, Cox one, Phillips? touched on the line, and some snaps from Thomas that could have been goals. Like last week the scoreline flattered the losing team

Have to love the win, but why oh why didn’t Tyler Brown take that clear shot on his left foot in the last few minutes? I nearly choked on my food.
As confusing as it was It's no more confusing than you choking on your food.
Dude your watching a game of football.
The correct end to your sentence should have been "I almost spat my beer out"

If only the browns came on like him 😩
Just remember, it took until Josh’s fourth year to make the jump. I’m not sure Callum will ever take that next step, but don’t write off Tyler just yet. Much like Josh, he’s showing good signs but doesn’t have the tank/physique to put it all together yet. His first half was very good. 4 clearances to half time is good by any standard, let alone a skinny kid yet to grow in to his body.

Last edited:
I dont think its any coincidence that we looked much better with Cox in the side. He might not get the ball but he brings it down to our smalls. We got a few goals because he did that today. I dont think we should have both Cameron and Cox in the side at the same time though, 1 too many players who cannot get the ball.

Some love for IQ, too.

Nice return from being stabbed by that Sydney prick.

Getting better defensive, becoming more potent on the rebound.

Betts kicked a Few on him Early but Held him Goaless for Rest of the Game and even Gave some Good Rebound

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos is establishing himself as one of the best young talents in the league. He is so influential with each disposal and has more than a touch of his old man’s ability to kick a mercurial goal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Such poise and while not as mercurial as his old man, still has enough of the Daicos magic

I like the stability of having Maynard crisp Moore 'start' in the back 50... then making these odd runs through the guts when they see what's up ahead.. bloody reading the game.. and not being held back.. and having players cover for em when they do.. do that.. that's what I have been looking for a long... long time.. it didn't look ad hoc today..

Phillips is a massive disappointment again. His use with ball in hand and link up play going forward is nowhere near good enough to make up for his softness and tendency to shit himself under any kind of pressure.

Pendlebury gave Cripps a lesson in how to play football, brilliant stuff from the old head

Good shout, this has so far been somewhat overlooked. Gave him a bath playing-wise and leadership-wise. That’s how ya do it!

I dont think its any coincidence that we looked much better with Cox in the side. He might not get the ball but he brings it down to our smalls. We got a few goals because he did that today. I dont think we should have both Cameron and Cox in the side at the same time though, 1 too many players who cannot get the ball.

He also created opportunity's not only for him but others.

Betts kicked a Few on him Early but Held him Goaless for Rest of the Game and even Gave some Good Rebound
Bucks made the switch at halftime. Maynard played on Betts in the 2nd half..

I didn't watch the game. Listened in on radio

Is there an AFL history nerd here who can tell us when our win-loss tally with Carlton was equal (or Carlton not in front)?

I'm guessing 1960s or early 1970s?
Taken from the main board gameday thread -
Some interesting facts about the head to head record:
  • Collingwood won the first seven clashes against Carlton.
  • Collingwood's largest h2h lead against Carlton was 15 games (19-4) in 1905.
  • Carlton overtook Collingwood in the h2h lead for the first time in 1943 when it was 51-2-50.
  • Collingwood regained the lead in 1953 when it was 61-2-60, and they had a 6 win lead in 1965.
  • Carlton took the lead again in 1976 when it was 82-4-81, before Collingwood regained it soon after in 1977.
  • Carlton took the lead again 1980, before Collingwood regained it again in 1981.
  • Carlton took the lead in 1982 which Collingwood has not been able to regain since then.
  • The biggest lead Carlton has had in the h2h lead is 14 wins (117-4-103) in 2002.
  • W-L record since 2000 is Collingwood 25-13 Carlton.

Phillips is a massive disappointment again. His use with ball in hand and link up play going forward is nowhere near good enough to make up for his softness and tendency to sh*t himself under any kind of pressure.

I think he actually was one of our better ones in the first qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back