Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't discount how much a lack of games hurts. Long looked completely lost after coming back into the side. Clark looking similar but should bounce back soon.

Clark definitely still looks a little bit off compared to his early season work. He's still playing okay but lost some impact.

They had all the play late and only needed composure. We had no defence for most of the game and in the last flooded but still left more holes than golf course. There was at least 4 easy chances they blew when they could have stolen it. It looked like us last week.
To have Carlisle , King and Membery to come back into the side will give us a good crack at WCE and GWS.
Having Carlisle back will fix our backline and having Membery and King even though they have not been great they make us better.
Fully expect Abbott , Marsh and Phillips to be dropped.

Any reason why Billings is playing more forward lately? I feel like ever since Phillips has come into the team Phillips is playing wing and Billings has played predominately forward. I'd rather Billings on the wing.
Long and Coffield were terrific today and Hill having one of his better games too.

Team selection was strange, hopefully no more gifting games from here on out.

If there is a reason why Jake isn't playing other than injury or rest we need to hear it. Is 100% best 22 and vital to the team.

Only positives from the game were Roma,Coff and Long. Steele and Ross were OK as well.

Never see these 3 blokes again...View attachment 954521

It's a year which is going to test every teams depth. And these guys are clearly that...Fingers crossed we can replace two of them next week.

Phillips isn't the worst no.22 on a team sheet but you'd love to have Gresh, Dunstan or Hanners in the side to push him out and likely push Sinclair/Kent/Lonie towards the lower end of the 22.

Loved Long's game today. Such a unique style of player - not many manage his combo of flashy goals, spectacular grabs and ridiculous intensity at the ball and man. If he puts it all together to make that game happen a lot more often he's going to be a fantastic player for us.

One player who cops heaps is lonie but I think he vital. At least he tries to pressure. He got us going early with things that won’t go in the stats. Even in the last quarter he did a tap to Marshall that won’t get in the stats. He has enough faults to probably never be a certainty but I think he is a best 22 player. Also Sinclair must have had about 4 assists in the second half today.

One player who cops heaps is lonie but I think he vital. At least he tries to pressure. He got us going early with things that won’t go in the stats. Even in the last quarter he did a tap to Marshall that won’t get in the stats. He has enough faults to probably never be a certainty but I think he is a best 22 player. Also Sinclair must have had about 4 assists in the second half today.
Sincs is a smart ball user and seems to be having a good season.

I thought that was Hill's best Saints game by a margin.
One of the commentators said that as team fatigue need end of season players like Hill get more and more room due to his tank.
Reckon in a proper season with 20 minute qtrs under the lid Hill will be everything we drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too bothered about the performance, all as wanted and needed was the 4 points.

Hopefully wing one against the Eagles or GWS and that’s a huge tick for this season.

Looking forward to getting King back though, would play him and Marshall up front together against the Eagles talls and let Ryder ruck hopefully against whoever comes in for a rested Naitanui.

Good from lesser lights and some scapegoats

Kent, Lonie, Ross, Hill

Long, Coff, and Paton very good off hb.

Why did we recruit Paddy

Did we miss skunk?

To the last question I'd say no, we weren't.

Marsh is serviceable in what Membrey was outputting lately, just members is more a one touch clunker in marking whereas Marsh is more a lower spec Battle, we're simply not kicking scores since outside of like 3 blokes we have "stupid" players disposal wise.

Butler is one that knows how to make that footy sing, but he's needed up forward since we don't really have any other A grade small forward, Hill is another, but he's also running 20km per match so you'd expect a few stuffed disposals due to being stuffed, Billings another but his kicks have no real penetration, they're lofty, so defenses have time to make contest.

In this match, the Hawks defense could get there to impact, just as the game went on they actually impacted the contest less, where we got a few more marks and 1v1's instead of 2-3v1's. Skunk doesn't change this, so Marsh was fine.

I actually deleted a post during like 5mins into the second maybe? Where we do the Longer thing and dump Abbott in the square and say "park your arse and lead from this box" as that was an issue that needed solving. That was more impactful than substituting one player to another.

I'm assuming it will be Marsh, Abbot and Philips out for Membrey, King and Carlisle.
Agree does make us tall
Do we give Ryder a rest ?

Did you miss Coffield and Longs games?
I think gringo has a point though. Whilst coffield and long were good the overall defencive of the side is a massive issue.

Sides are scoring far to easily against us.

Ratts has worked wonders for the offence this year but the defence is a shambles.

I could be part of a very small club here, but I think Marsh has a mixture of all the right physical tools to be an effective player in our side.

Important to remember that he didn’t play AFL level footy for four(?) years.

Big body, quick, powerful. I reckon he’d make a really good intercept defender

I thought he gave as much as Membrey has for most of this season. The bustling through multiple players and finding players out the back looked like a more agricultural Dusty. DM is a Ferrari, JM more like a Hilux...but a big one at least. What he lacks in finesse he make up for in bulk.

It's funny all the shittest players all did at least one good thing though too. Abbotts goal, Marsh' bustling through traffic to burst out of a pack etc. Phillips had a mare after I talked him up. Ross early was really good in the middle made up for some of our struggles in the middle. Kent taking out Worpol helped slow their centre clearance work too.
Yeah

Abbott didn't have to do a lot to get that goal other than stand the mark and watch the turnover come straight back in. He was ordinary but I guess it lightened the load of the other two which I think was the goal.

You can't tell me Marsh offers the same as Membrey even with Membrey in bad form.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with what we are doing with Battle. Looked dangerous forward but finished the game down back again. Is that because we didn't play Carlisle?

The obsession with him being a swing man seems strange.

I think gringo has a point though. Whilst coffield and long were good the overall defencive of the side is a massive issue.

Ratts has worked wonders for the offence this year but the defence is a shambles.

It was a lack of system. Players leaving the backline with out telling someone to cover them, holes filled with 2 or 3 lose Hawks. It looked a shambles. Maybe Carlisle is the director down there. You expect Geary to organise them but it looked messy as *.

Just relieved to get the 4 points.

We still aren't playing well, kept a bottom 4 team playing a bunch of kids in the game when we should have buried them.

Missing Membrey and King didn't help but our forward line wasn't the only problem, our midfield and defence stiil needs work.

If we keep playing like that we won't play finals or make any impact if we do, can't afford to carry guys like Phillips, Marsh and Abbott.

Some positives though.

Hill played one of his best games for us so far, Long also played one of his best games in a long time, Paddy and Roma combining welll.

Coffield and Steele emerging as future captains, Sinclair turning into a quality midfielder, Kent stepping up, and Lonie having an impact.

We need to get Carlisle back in our defence though which was as bad as I've seen it this year, Hanners, Membrey and King would help too.

They kicked 9 goals. I don’t think the backline was the problem especially early. Our midfield was getting killed early.

Yeah

Abbott didn't have to do a lot to get that goal other than stand the mark and watch the turnover come straight back in. He was ordinary but I guess it lightened the load of the other two which I think was the goal.

You can't tell me Marsh offers the same as Membrey even with Membrey in bad form.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with what we are doing with Battle. Looked dangerous forward but finished the game down back again. Is that because we didn't play Carlisle?

The obsession with him being a swing man seems strange.

Membrey is playing on reputation this year. He's been terrible. He has been a liability even. We camped a heap of players back to lock up their scoring in the last Q.....only it did the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back