Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s impressive how big Vic clubs are when they compete with 9 other teams in a state of less than 7million.

Something I’ve been curious about, and I wonder if anyone can answer, how many members of the 10 Victorian clubs, are from other states?
There are some interesting pockets of fans across the country.
I know my club for instance has a significant supporter base in WA. Carlton also high numbers SA for example

What the hell are you on about?? Theres eagles supporters everywhere.. been plenty of support for them in brisbane and comfortably more than the bulldogs and Essendon teams the last couple of games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I've noticed in Melbourne during regular season pre c19 West Coast always has a degree of support at games. Expat WA and those making a weekend of it to Melb (back when it was a nice thing to do)

Morning everyone!

Surprising to see Carlton in 5th.

Bit of a worry with Brisbane having less members than GWS, considering their ladder position the last couple of seasons (not relevant to this thread I know).

Surprising considering crowds are usually decent at the Gabba in normal years.

1599605629071.png

Bit of a worry with Brisbane having less members than GWS, considering their ladder position the last couple of seasons (not relevant to this thread I know).

View attachment 956741
Now watch the Viccos coming in with ......Yeah but Cats, Dogs, Budgie memberships...but, but, but.

Morning everyone!

So that settles it then. West Coast are the undisputed biggest AFL. They have the biggest membership in the AFL

Tongue in cheek of course.

However a great achievement by the Eagles and they’ve done it quietly without all the trash that goes with other clubs reaching these milestones.

To be transparent, COVID probably prevented 5,000 Tigers joining up this year.

Essendon for instance were +4.3% Vs same time in 2019 in early March (2019 - 84,278 members) on track for 87-88K when things stalled. In this case, clubs like the Eagles possibly benefited more than most clubs given they lock in their memberships earlier than most VIC clubs due to stadium demand. Essendon and other Vic clubs usually sell lots more memberships later in season

Anyway, Well done Eagles👏

So that settles it then. West Coast are the undisputed biggest AFL. They have the biggest membership in the AFL

Tongue in cheek of course.

However a great achievement by the Eagles and they’ve done it quietly without all the trash that goes with other clubs reaching these milestones.

To be transparent, COVID probably prevented 5,000 Tigers joining up this year.

Essendon for instance were +4.3% Vs same time in 2019 in early March (2019 - 84,278 members) on track for 87-88K when things stalled. In this case, clubs like the Eagles possibly benefited more than most clubs given they lock in their memberships earlier than most VIC clubs due to stadium demand. Essendon and other Vic clubs usually sell lots more memberships later in season

Anyway, Well done Eagles👏

I agree with your tongue in cheek sentiment.

I was just posting as a response to those who use membership numbers to then say their club is the biggest club in the land (lol).

A lot is yet to be played out, but I see membership numbers for Vic clubs going backwards next year. By time COVID hit, many people had paid their membership in full and though "well it is money spent, so I won't get a refund".

Given the second wave at the devastating impact on Victoria's economy and job losses, coupled with the anticipated reduction of Jobkeeper/seeker over the next few months, it's hard to see Vic clubs increasing membership. It would be a great effort in itself if they could hold steady in 2021.

all that is irrelevant

outside WA ...no one barracks for WCE

I'm outside WA and support the Eagles.

And West Coast have a large fan base in Victoria. A good number of fans turn up to watch them play when they face off against Vic teams at MCG/Docklands.

I'm outside WA and support the Eagles.

And West Coast have a large fan base in Victoria. A good number of fans turn up to watch them play when they face off against Vic teams at MCG/Docklands.

a couple of thousand

wow wee

We have 2500 paid up WA members

it’s pretty standard numbers across the board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a couple of thousand

wow wee

I heard a while back that their Victorian memberships are at about 10K.

Ironically, that is helped along by GF being played in Victoria and Vic platinum memberships giving GF guaranteed access if West Coast make the GF.

View attachment 956741

Carlton had a huge promo where they allowed new members to purchase 3 game membership and free upgrade to 11 game membership.

They're pushing to play more MCG games but need to increase HGA in order to justify moving games to MCG from Docklands.

I would have thought it self-evident that West Coast has the biggest supporter base. How could a single Melbourne-based team compete with one of two teams in a pretty big (and footy mad) market?

Morning everyone!

Well done Eagles- all the more so given that it's probably only club in competition where having a membership doesnt guarantee you a seat at home and away games.
What is interesting in that list is the gap now opening up bw Eagles and Richmond to Collingwood.

West Coast really are the reformers of the competition. In terms of realising the AFL's ambition to be a true national competition, the Eagles represent the light on the hill.

"We have a great objective – the light on the hill – which we aim to reach by working the betterment of mankind .... a movement bringing something better to the people"

Ben Chifley

1st Non-Victorian team to win an AFL game
1st Non-Victorian team to make finals
1st Non-Victorian team to win a final
1st Non-Victorian team to host a final outside Victoria
1st Non-Victorian team to finish top of the ladder
1st Non-Victorian team to make a grand final
1st Non-Victorian team to win a premiership
1st Non-Victorian team to top Club membership ladder

Carlton had a huge promo where they allowed new members to purchase 3 game membership and free upgrade to 11 game membership.

They're pushing to play more MCG games but need to increase HGA in order to justify moving games to MCG from Docklands.
Smart strategy really. They're not losing anything on those 11 game members who weren't going to buy that membership anyway and probably got a fair few of them to buy 3 game for the upgrade.

Smart strategy really. They're not losing anything on those 11 game members who weren't going to buy that membership anyway and probably got a fair few of them to buy 3 game for the upgrade.

It annoyed alot of their existing fan base as the free upgrade was only available to new members.

Oh well

View attachment 956741
This is pretty accurate but COVID would have definitely impacted people buying memberships this year

West Coast really are the reformers of the competition. In terms of realising the AFL's ambition to be a true national competition, the Eagles represent the light on the hill.

"We have a great objective – the light on the hill – which we aim to reach by working the betterment of mankind .... a movement bringing something better to the people"

Ben Chifley

1st Non-Victorian team to win an AFL game
1st Non-Victorian team to make finals
1st Non-Victorian team to win a final
1st Non-Victorian team to host a final outside Victoria
1st Non-Victorian team to finish top of the ladder
1st Non-Victorian team to make a grand final
1st Non-Victorian team to win a premiership
1st Non-Victorian team to top Club membership ladder
This WILL NOT go down well with our Vicco friends, INCOMING!!!

It's safe to say West Coast will never be caught now. I'm glad we never again have to listen to Richmond and Collingwood supporters talk about who has the most members out of two suburban sides lmao

You are forgetting that Richmond members are locked away in prison in Melbourne , They have not been able to attend a single game.

Didn't the Eagles have 9 games with crowds played at Optus stadium...and you are what , 300 odd members ahead....Alot of Vic clubs membership sales happen at the ground or as the season is starting... The Richmond marketing department never got those opportunities outside the game urging people to sign up ..and given it was off the back of a premiership season.. what club's member base has ever decreased after a flag?? None.. except this season because people can't attend games so it's not unreasonable to think someone people were not going to spend the money..

Oh and there is another little thing where we compete with 10 other teams in our state.

No one is more delusional than Eagles supporters...

Even the Pies would have smashed you had they been able to attend games but Richmond and Collingwood's supporter base is majority blue collar workers on minimum wages... A luxury like a footballer membership is something most families can't afford when they are not sure they even have a job etc

Richmond and Collingwood are the biggest teams.

West coast is an AFL franchise is a state competing against one other club.

It's not even a comparison given the difference in circumstances.

Back