Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I’m probably happiest about tonight (besides the obvious of making finals) was I think we’ve finally found an answer to a big problem we’ve had for a few years now, namely, dealing with opposition tall intercept marking players.

I reckon it’s safe to say Haynes is in the top 3 intercepters in the game.

The absolute demolition job Josh Battle did on him tonight was something to behold.

We haven’t had an answer to the Haynes-type players that are running around at the moment.

But we have one now in Battle.

He has a massive tank. He has great height and a great leap. In short, he is every tall intercepting players worst nightmare.

Not only can Battle nullify this type of player, he can score himself and, this is the most important thing, he frees up so much space in the forward line for King and Membrey to work their magic and either mark it or bring the ball to ground for our smalls.

A round of applause to Ratts or whoever it was that suggested Josh play the role he played tonight. It was a big reason we are playing finals.

Hopefully from this point on, we will no longer be terrorized by the Haynes and McGovern-type players in the competition.

Ratts is a very good strategy coach. Like all of Clarko's underlings he seems to know how to negate sides. Bevo is a gun at it too, they take areas of strength away from sides. Our list is still a long way off GWS but they have the bulk of their quality around the ball. We took that away from them and played on our terms. I was confident we had them worked out by half time yesterday. Once we held them that long you kind of sensed they'd give up. Leon Cameron is the opposite he's got a killer list and just puts them out there and hopes quality will overcome everything else.

Paddy was huge as was Steele. Ross stood up as well. A few individuals played out of their skins but the superior strategy was what got us the win in the end.

Great win.

But i'm not getting carried away about our finals prospects.
GWS played right into our wheelhouse by going all out attack trying to kick a big score for a big win.

We won't have any such luck in finals- they will be all low scoring, keepings off defensive games.... ie our kryptonite.

We're on the right track- but are gonna have to be waaay better than we have shown this year (and tonight) if we are gonna win a final.

Yeah, we know...but c'mon. Let it be a party until it isn't.

As the morning starts it’s time to take it all in. Just relax and enjoy a lovely day. Spring has sprung. Nice solid game last night and as expected a comfortable 50 point win. We were never going to miss finals. No idea why people were looking at worst case scenarios whilst I was organising grand final tickets. Not getting ahead of myself but have also organised tickets at the g for next years grand final. People thinking of a 3 peat are getting far to far ahead of themselves. Settle down. At least 2 first.

Ha ha, just watching the replay and saw this now! It’s phenomenal skill from the big man.

It’s actually nuts how disappointed the commentators were from midway through the third (especially BT) when we got on top. Bruce at least late in the last started feigning excitement but BT was disgraceful. Won’t forgive him for tonight.

My son is a huge soccer nut, he was jumping around going on about Paddy doing a Rabona out of the ruck. He kept saying he meant it and that it's like an impossible trick penalty shot. I had to look it up, he did a Rabona, got some tricks the big man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay 1st qtr, my god even though the Giants beat us at clearances they sure overuse the ball. They think everything is a training run.

All sizzle no sausage with them.

Hunter Clark very good that qtr. Didn't notice his output.
Battle's goal underrated.
Paton beating Greene.
Long caved in Rieds ribs with a well placed knee in the contest.

I'll watch to see who went to Coniglio after qtr time. Ross maybe?

Yeah, we know...but c'mon. Let it be a party until it isn't.

Yeah part of me wants to be like Lenny and GT at the dais after the Wizzard cup win, but I'm more like a grizzled old prospector who found a nugget after 9 years of digging today. * waiting for anything, this might be it, I'm celebrating like it's a premiership.

In all the euphoria of a win some of us are still crunching the numbers and trying to make this club better.

Thankless task.

Jake Carlisle had just 5 touches and 1 mark tonight, I think he's done.

He needed to be BOG tonight but he did SFA so I think he's done with us.

He did his job. Battle had f*CK all numbers too, but similarly, did his job. The backline looks far better with him in it, than not. Reckon he'll clunk 9 marks and be clutch in a winning elimination against the filth.

Watching the replay 1st qtr, my god even though the Giants beat us at clearances they sure overuse the ball. They think everything is a training run.

Paton beating Greene.

Talking of Ross are people still wanting his head? That’s why some guys get more chances than others.

Well my 73yo MIL who lives with us, has been an NRL (Broncos) supporter all her life, has now changed her allegiance to AFL & the Saints. My daughter who came to visit said I’m setting her a bad example as she now abuses the umps & stays up past her bedtime to watch HER Saints. We live in a very happy household.:stkilda:

Last edited:

Paton beating Greene.

Especially early you could really see we were instructed not to look for any short options, everything went long and bypassed anywhere where they might get the opportunity to take the ball off us. They were the opposite, they played in close where we pressured them into turnovers.

Ryder’s ruckcraft deserves as much credit as Nic Nat gets.
The best tap ruckman we’ve had in my lifetime
He was so good last night, his leadership and experience is huge for us

Talking of Ross are people still wanting his head? That’s why some guys get more chances than others.
No we are all talking about the great win last night

Talking about Ryder and Marshall still think it doesn’t work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back