Best & Fairest 2020 Crichton Medal - Congratulations Jordan Ridley!

Who takes home the B&F for 2020?

• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Zach Merrett

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Jordan Ridley

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Adam Saad

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Dylan Shiel

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyle Langford

• Darcy Parish

• Devon Smith

• Will Snelling

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other (comment below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't feel like getting into an argument about this...Shiel has a much higher ceiling, but the Crichton is not voted on what you can do. It's a total of all votes over an entire year. Every player gets rated every game. I'm sure Shiel's best games had more votes than Snelling had for any single game.

Shiel was pretty ordinary after he came back from suspension, I don't care how many disposals he had.

Snelling improved positioning and work rate. His decision making with the ball (and without) improved throughout this year.

You're welcome to count stats and look at who is flashier and has a higher ceiling, but that's a totally different conversation to what I'm having.

It's ok for us to have a different opinion (although I don't think we're talking about exactly the same thing in any case).
Mate you are wrong his decision making is poor full stop
again he is not quick and forward pressure isn’t a real strengt
how you could comment on his work rate is pure fiction when you don’t have gps data and you are not watching the game live.
i don’t want to sound like a grumpy old bugger though I am but It is embarrassing that our club could come up with a system that has rated will as the ninth best player on performance in 2020 and it is mind blowing to me that anyone could logically support this view.
i am leaving this thread as we can argue for ever but it is great will can come ninth in our prestigious b&f for improved positioning and work rate and his 13 disposals and a goal once every three games playing as a high halforward🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

There definitely could be arguments for a change to voting in some ways but there will always be peculiarities. In Shiel's case the games he missed were his own fault so fairer than someone who missed through injury I guess.
Look I’m not too fussed about B&f but it’s really ridiculous that a guy who misses 2-3 games has small chance of winning. In Shiel’s case I suppose being suspended he didn’t get the ‘fairest’ right.

Thanks was wondering about that. The top 10 in votes per game sits well with me in terms of in-game impact. Although I didn't rate Smith that well this year to be honest.
Could've been others that polled better in their games but didn't make the top 10 too.

This is the AFLCA coaches votes for our club up until round 16 (17&18 results aren't released until Thursday when the winner is announced):

1. Zach Merrett (51)
2. Andrew McGrath (37)
3. Jordan Ridley (28)
4. Dylan Shiel (24)
5. Adam Saad (16)
6. David Zaharakis (12)
7. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (9)
8. Darcy Parish (5)
9. Joe Daniher (4)
10 Jake Stringer (4)
11. Jacob Townsend (4)
12. Cale Hooker (3)
13. Aaron Francis (3)
14. Kyle Langford (3)
15. Will Snelling (1)

how you could comment on his work rate is pure fiction when you don’t have gps data and you are not watching the game live.
i don’t want to sound like a grumpy old bugger though I am but It is embarrassing that our club could come up with a system that has rated will as the ninth best player on performance in 2020 and it is mind blowing to me that anyone could logically support this view.
i am leaving this thread as we can argue for ever but it is great will can come ninth in our prestigious b&f for improved positioning and work rate and his 13 disposals and a goal once every three games playing as a high halforward🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
So I'm wrong and you're right? Ok then, whatever helps you sleep at night. FWIW I really don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Players who played every game this year:

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Darcy Parish
Adam Saad
Will Snelling
Jordan Ridley

Others that were selected in every game they were available for (but weren't available for all 17):

Dylan Shiel
Dyson Heppell
Jake Stringer
David Zaharakis
Orazio Fantasia
Zach Merrett
Devon Smith
Joe Daniher
Andrew McGrath
Kyle Langford

Could've been others that polled better in their games but didn't make the top 10 too.

This is the AFLCA coaches votes for our club up until round 16 (17&18 results aren't released until Thursday when the winner is announced):

1. Zach Merrett (51)
2. Andrew McGrath (37)
3. Jordan Ridley (28)
4. Dylan Shiel (24)
5. Adam Saad (16)
6. David Zaharakis (12)
7. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (9)
8. Darcy Parish (5)
9. Joe Daniher (4)
10 Jake Stringer (4)
11. Jacob Townsend (4)
12. Cale Hooker (3)
13. Aaron Francis (3)
14. Kyle Langford (3)
15. Will Snelling (1)
What I do like about our voting is all players get votes for every game. All the voting systems like AFLCA and Brownlow reward the top few players, which is great, but if a player is 6th best every game for the entire year they wouldn't get a single vote, yet are probably your 6th best player or close to it.

What I do like about our voting is all players get votes for every game. All the voting systems like AFLCA and Brownlow reward the top few players, which is great, but if a player is 6th best every game for the entire year they wouldn't get a single vote, yet are probably your 6th best player or close to it.
Yeah definitely 😊 Especially if it's used for incentive payments or something.

I wonder if it's just a gut feel rating out of 5 from each coach or if it's more broken down than that into particular KPIs or something. Like it might be 1 point for 5 different areas, or perhaps each coach gives points based on a different focus area. Rutten on their team defence, Caracella on their team offence, Harvey on their positions at stoppages, etc?

Yeah definitely 😊 Especially if it's used for incentive payments or something.

I wonder if it's just a gut feel rating out of 5 from each coach or if it's more broken down than that into particular KPIs or something. Like it might be 1 point for 5 different areas, or perhaps each coach gives points based on a different focus area. Rutten on their team defence, Caracella on their team offence, Harvey on their positions at stoppages, etc?
Yeah it would be good to know more, but it's definitely against what their role is and what they've been asked to do at the very least. In that way it's a far more even playing field than most midfielders medals. It's also why some people don't get where people finish because we don't know what players have been asked to do by the coaches giving the votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bright side, there's some good young talent in that top 5.

In reality, not the count you'd hope for, but then neither was the year.

Shiel in 10th. The price we paid, you'd be expecting him to be pushing up into the top 3 every year.
Club needs to ask itself wtf it's doing when Snelling is rated internally higher than the Dylan, and Snelling should be sweating whether he gets another contract.

Top 10:

1. Jordan Ridley (333 votes)
2. Zach Merrett (308)
3. Adam Saad (292)
4. Kyle Langford (281)
5. Andrew McGrath (270)
6. Darcy Parish (263)
7. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (261)
8. Devon Smith (253)
9. Will Snelling (247)
10. Dylan Shiel (239)

Votes per game:

1. Jordan Ridley (19.58 from 17 games)
5. Andrew McGrath (19.28 from 14 games)
2. Zach Merrett (19.25 from 17 games)
4. Kyle Langford (17.56 from 17 games)
3. Adam Saad (17.17 from 17 games)
6. Darcy Parish (15.47 from 17 games)
10. Dylan Shiel (15.93 from 15 games)
8. Devon Smith (15.81 from 16 games)
7. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (15.35 from 17 games)
9. Will Snelling (14.53 from 17 games)

There's three there that polled well enough despite missing 1 or more games.

Lore explained it well

Do you understand yet? Shiel polled more votes per game than Snelling, but he missed games. So finished lower overall.

It's not an arbitrary 'rank your best players' thread. It's not the Brownlow where only three players get votes.

Playing more games will mean that some players end up higher on the board than others, Shiel had a fairly average second half of the year and missed two games, whilst Snelling was a pretty consistent player doing what the coaches have asked of him, and played every game.

Anyone else get the feeling we will disintegrate (culturally AND our playing list) and finish in the last 3 next year?

If we played the Crows, Swans or Freo next week we'd lose, I think we finished as the worst team in the league and our ladder finish flattered us.

Give us pick 1. :p

Back